I knew from the start Leornard Henry was a steal... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I knew from the start Leornard Henry was a steal...

minus

Perennial All-Pro
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I knew from the start Leonard Henry was a steal...

I saw a couple of collage games he played and I knew this kid had talent..CKparrot you know I was talking about this kid since they drafted him ...I think he will end up moving ahead Minor in depth charts once season starts..He reminds me alot of Fred taylor...CKparrot you remeber when I wrote about him Herald msg board and you thought he was just another body at training camp......This year will have luxury of having not only stud Rb but good quality depth if Ricky were to go down....

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm not saying he's not good, he's got to prove his worth DURING a game as Minor has in order to move ahead of him via the depth chart. Training camp is one thing, busting one open on the sidelines is another.

I like henry alot and his Football cards are worth some $$$. He is will most likely be our 4th, i have no idea who will be our #2, Minor or Edwards??????? But Henry may be in the race also. But he does have to prove he can do it in the game. This is a great problem to have, so is the WR battle.........

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
Do we risk putting Henry on the PS?
too early to tell - but teams like Cleve and Houston are weak at RB - but does not mean that they think Henry is better than James Jackson or JJJ or whomever is 3rd stringer on Texans

I am still high on Minor - he has done more than everything he was asked to do, including punt coverage. I would not take a rook over him anyday unless that rook was looking like the next Jim Brown or RW ;)

What seperates Minor and Henry is that Henry "is build more like an every down back" than Minor.Now doesn't mean I agree with that because I think Minor can.It doesn't matter who backs up William because who ever does could have been starting over Smith last year..

I never said that Henry was just another body at training camp. I said I liked his production a lot coming out of college and it was surprising that considering he produced well against GOOD DEFENSES, the draft pros still pegged this guy either as a 7th rounder, or a completely undrafted player. If Miami didn't draft him, he was going to go undrafted. The only thing I came close to criticizing about Henry is that

A) You have to view his production in college knowing that he ran out of the option offense (think option play and say to yourself DOES THAT WORK IN THE NFL???) so a lot of his bigger runs were from option plays where only 1 man or no man had come over to cover him.

B) Nobody knows about the kid. He was about to be completely undrafted but the dolphins had brought him in for their dinner with their top prospects and they promised they'd draft him in the 7th round if he's there. So what I SAID was that unless he starts tearing a bunch of **** up in preseason a la Autry Denson for the Bucs in like I believe it was 1999, then we could most likely successfully hide this kid on the practice squad because nobody's going to take the risk and toss a roster spot in his direction. 7th round picks who have not gone crazy during preseason games just do not get picked up off psquads. A 6th round pick might if the team had its eye on him for the 6th round to draft him. But nobody was going to draft Leonard Henry.

That said I really like the kids production coming out of college and think that its possible that he could be a very good NFL starter and I've always said that. Its not like the kid did anything WRONG in his small college, I mean if Jerome Bettis were transported back to that college then he'd probably put up similar numbers. But it doesn't mean the kid can necessarily produce at the NFL level either and this is all exactly what I said on the herald board.

Mainly I criticized minus for not being able to spit out a coherent sentence or paragraph

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I never said that Henry was just another body at training camp. I said I liked his production a lot coming out of college and it was surprising that considering he produced well against GOOD DEFENSES, the draft pros still pegged this guy either as a 7th rounder, or a completely undrafted player. If Miami didn't draft him, he was going to go undrafted. The only thing I came close to criticizing about Henry is that

A) You have to view his production in college knowing that he ran out of the option offense (think option play and say to yourself DOES THAT WORK IN THE NFL???) so a lot of his bigger runs were from option plays where only 1 man or no man had come over to cover him.

B) Nobody knows about the kid. He was about to be completely undrafted but the dolphins had brought him in for their dinner with their top prospects and they promised they'd draft him in the 7th round if he's there. So what I SAID was that unless he starts tearing a bunch of **** up in preseason a la Autry Denson for the Bucs in like I believe it was 1999, then we could most likely successfully hide this kid on the practice squad because nobody's going to take the risk and toss a roster spot in his direction. 7th round picks who have not gone crazy during preseason games just do not get picked up off psquads. A 6th round pick might if the team had its eye on him for the 6th round to draft him. But nobody was going to draft Leonard Henry.

That said I really like the kids production coming out of college and think that its possible that he could be a very good NFL starter and I've always said that. Its not like the kid did anything WRONG in his small college, I mean if Jerome Bettis were transported back to that college then he'd probably put up similar numbers. But it doesn't mean the kid can necessarily produce at the NFL level either and this is all exactly what I said on the herald board.

Mainly I criticized minus for not being able to spit out a coherent sentence or paragraph

From what I recall from your post didn't sound anything like that..It doesn't matter now but we can both agree on Henry making a strong push for the back up role.I'm not sold on Minor being the back up mainly because Dolphins didn't give him chance last season to prove that he can handle it while Smith was struggling.I'm going to make an educated guess that the back up will be either Edwards or Henry.I don't think Dolphins are sold on Minor being an every down back and Minors knows that.Minor will have to be lights out during the preseason to really changed the coaches perspectives on him..

This is another reason...

Originally posted by minus
I saw a couple of collage games he played and I knew this kid had talent..CKparrot you know I was talking about this kid since they drafted him ...I think he will end up moving ahead Minor in depth charts once season starts..He reminds me alot of Fred taylor...CKparrot you remeber when I wrote about him Herald msg board and you thought he was just another body at training camp......This year will have luxury of having not only stud Rb but good quality depth if Ricky were to go down....

... I don't see the Dolphins keeping 3 FB's. Leonard Henry has too much potential not to keep him around, even if that means keeping him on the active roster. I don't think this KID would make it to the practice squad. Some team would take him before that would ever happen IMO.

Oliver...

I fully believe someone would grab him off waivers if we let him go. And even if we put him on our P-squad in the 8th or 9th game of season a struggling team would just stash him on their roster for this year.

Roster spots at end of season are not as important as people think. They're young people who are trying to develop mainly or injury replacements.

The Phins didn't even use two of their spots late last season to save cap space.

You know, Minor has drawn nothing but praise from the coaching staff, and the fans. Why would he be in trouble of losing the number 2 job, when all we've heard up until this point is how Edwards and Henry are battling for the number 3 job? Is number 2 job 3rd down back or the guy who replaces RW if, God forbid, he goes down? The 3rd down back will most definately be Travis Minor. The guy who would replace RW is still up for grabs though, I think. I wouldn't mind seeing Minor in there if Ricky went down though. Not unlike Mike Martz, I'm big on speed......

Oh, and if Henry goes on the P-squad, 10 buck says the Pats sign him. They have a habit of signing our old players.......

Originally posted by BMarion31
You know, Minor has drawn nothing but praise from the coaching staff, and the fans. Why would he be in trouble of losing the number 2 job, when all we've heard up until this point is how Edwards and Henry are battling for the number 3 job? Is number 2 job 3rd down back or the guy who replaces RW if, God forbid, he goes down? The 3rd down back will most definately be Travis Minor. The guy who would replace RW is still up for grabs though, I think. I wouldn't mind seeing Minor in there if Ricky went down though. Not unlike Mike Martz, I'm big on speed......
Minor's problem is that it is unclear if Norv will use a 3rd back down, i.e. keep RW on the field every down. Edwards has been talked about most often as the every day back if the unspeakable happends to RW. I still do not know why Minor is not involved in PR/KRs.

Minor was fantastic last year when on the field..I don't think the phins put him on the field when Lamar was struggling, because Wanny is faithful to his starters, i.e. Jay was struggling in a game and Wanny didn't want to start controversy by putting in Ray and Ray happen to do good. But I think Miami knows what they have in Minor..We still have TC and Preseason, anything can happen and injuries can occur, which can change things fast..Looking at the Dolpins RB's they've introduce competition, something we haven't had at that position in a long time..I love it. This should be a great TC and if everyone makes it though,,give us depth and trade bait.

good point MDFINFAN

the perfect example of lack of competition was JJJ lingering for so long

Back
Top Bottom