I like Miami's TE room right now. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I like Miami's TE room right now.

We don't need Pitts, he's so talented u can always make room for a guy like that but we don't need him with the TE's we have. Ja'Marr Chase on the other hand...I just hope we have Pitts, Chase and Sewell to pick from or at least 2 of the 3 @6 and let the chips fall where they may. I trust Chris Grier more than anyone associated with the Dolphins right now. These are his picks at the end of the day and he's earned them with his beautiful roster reconstruction.

Flores comes from the BB coaching tree. As everyone knows, BB destroyed teams with two TE sets in the past. And given his FA splurge this year, it’s looking like he’s going to try and recreate that past success. There’s no reason why Miami can’t prominently features two TE sets. Pitts and Gesicki with Parker and Fuller would be a lethal combination. Miami can add receiver talent in the second and third rounds of this draft – the class is deep. But when it comes to Pitts, there is no other comparable prospect in the draft.

Just because Miami drafts Pitts doesn’t mean Gesicki isn’t resigned. Pitts on a rookie deal means you don’t have to pay him big money for several years.
Right you are, just as long as at least one of them can be a primary blocker. I suspect you are not advocating for Pitts to be the run blocking and pass protecting TE right? So, is your plan to field Gesicki as our primary blocker?

The two TE system, which is the same version that BB is employing, utilizes one TE as an in-line TE and the other TE as a slot WR. The benefit of using the guys he has now, Jonu and Henry, is that either guy can fill the role of primary blocker. My guess is that Henry is going to be designated as the primary blocker. Sure, there will be routes where they both go out into the pattern, much like 4 WR sets with the two TE's filling the two Slot WR roles. But defenses are aware of your personnel, and they'll blitz you as soon as you start relying on that. They'll also run stunts a lot. Protecting with only 5 guys means the defense can effectively overload blitz you, even if you have an exceptional pass protecting RB.

So for that two TE system to work, realize it's simply a TE filling the Slot WR role. If you're advocating to have us run that full time, it's like suggesting we run 4 WR's at all times ... and the NFL has shown that to not be effective enough. If you run the two TE system, at least one guy needs to be comfortable as a primary blocker. There's a reason people didn't realize how good Gronkowski was until Hernandez was no longer starting ... it's because they had Gronk as the primary blocker and Hernandez as the Slot WR guy. Then, when they no longer had Hernandez available, they put Gronk out into the pattern more ... and low and behold, people started to realize he was possibly the best TE of all time.

I'm a firm believer that if we try to pair Gesicki and Pitts it will end poorly. The only way it really works is if Pitts takes over DeVante Parker's role ... and as exceptional as Pitts is in the middle of the field, he's simply not as good out wide. If you draft Pitts, you're simultaneously deciding to get rid of Gesicki. That's a typical old Dolphins move ... let our talented guys leave via FA and overpay for some broken down diva on a bloated contract who we'll later cut and have dead cap. Pitts can be a great player, and I'd be happy to have him on the roster ... but it is not a productive choice if we have a generational talent like Ja'Marr Chase available who fits a need out wide. That would allow Tua to have a good young WR and good young TE with whom to grow. I see how others may disagree, but that's my $0.02 on it.

Because our receiving core was not great last year Gesicki lined up in the slot a lot. If we draft Pitts and a top WR we should start shopping Gesicki immediately. We dont need 2 pass catching TEs.

Why not? That seems like a very lazy way of thinking. Even if Gesicki doesn't improve as a route runner or blocker hes a matchup problem for a lot of teams. Now if Pitts is as inept at inline blocking as Gesicki then I could see cause for concern but I find that hard to believe.

Boy here we go again like baby giraffe gesicki is making DCs lose sleep at night. I'm fine with Smith, Pitts or Chase but if I really like Pitts I'm not letting the presence of Gesicki on this team deter me from taking him. Much less Shaheen or Smythe haha you can find the Smythe and Shaheen types on practice squads.

Guess people forget Gronk and Aaron Hernandez on the same team. Or Ertz and Goedert.

Right you are, just as long as at least one of them can be a primary blocker. I suspect you are not advocating for Pitts to be the run blocking and pass protecting TE right? So, is your plan to field Gesicki as our primary blocker?

The two TE system, which is the same version that BB is employing, utilizes one TE as an in-line TE and the other TE as a slot WR. The benefit of using the guys he has now, Jonu and Henry, is that either guy can fill the role of primary blocker. My guess is that Henry is going to be designated as the primary blocker. Sure, there will be routes where they both go out into the pattern, much like 4 WR sets with the two TE's filling the two Slot WR roles. But defenses are aware of your personnel, and they'll blitz you as soon as you start relying on that. They'll also run stunts a lot. Protecting with only 5 guys means the defense can effectively overload blitz you, even if you have an exceptional pass protecting RB.

So for that two TE system to work, realize it's simply a TE filling the Slot WR role. If you're advocating to have us run that full time, it's like suggesting we run 4 WR's at all times ... and the NFL has shown that to not be effective enough. If you run the two TE system, at least one guy needs to be comfortable as a primary blocker. There's a reason people didn't realize how good Gronkowski was until Hernandez was no longer starting ... it's because they had Gronk as the primary blocker and Hernandez as the Slot WR guy. Then, when they no longer had Hernandez available, they put Gronk out into the pattern more ... and low and behold, people started to realize he was possibly the best TE of all time.

That's a bit of an oversimplification. Gronk and Hernandez were seeing the same number of targets from day one and Hernandez was never strictly a slot, nor Gronk strictly inline. Gronk's best season as a pro by a pretty significant margin was when he was lined up next to Hernandez.

I agree that in order for it to show its full potential both TEs in the two TE set should be able to put their hand in the ground and take on a DE one on one. Gesicki can't do that, probably never will be able to, and that's a good part of the reason I don't expect him to be talking about an extension in Miami. But you can still run a two TE set with him as one of the TEs. Maybe not every play against every opponent but it can be a core concept in an effective offense.

There’s no one in that room that’s worth passing on Kyle Pitts. Moreover, Gesecki and Smythe are in the last year of their contracts.

I'm a big fan of Gesicki. He came up with some incredible plays last year. And 700 yds 6 TDs isn't anything to scoff at for the position. He came up with some clutch moments for Tua. Even if Pitts isn't chosen, I feel good about out TEs.

Probably I would pay Gesicki over Fuller...depending what plays out this next season on the field.

Top 15 TE for Gesicki..maybe Top 10...depending.

I don't see Fuller as top 10 or even top 15 WR...
I wouldn't...

I'd take a decent round pick for Gesicki (2nd?/3rd) and let someone else pay him what he's due....

I'm a firm believer that if we try to pair Gesicki and Pitts it will end poorly. The only way it really works is if Pitts takes over DeVante Parker's role ... and as exceptional as Pitts is in the middle of the field, he's simply not as good out wide. If you draft Pitts, you're simultaneously deciding to get rid of Gesicki. That's a typical old Dolphins move ... let our talented guys leave via FA and overpay for some broken down diva on a bloated contract who we'll later cut and have dead cap. Pitts can be a great player, and I'd be happy to have him on the roster ... but it is not a productive choice if we have a generational talent like Ja'Marr Chase available who fits a need out wide. That would allow Tua to have a good young WR and good young TE with whom to grow. I see how others may disagree, but that's my $0.02 on it.
Thanks for the insight. Very thoughtful post with good points. If we do go WR at 6, I'd personally prefer Smith or Waddle, but the reality is I don't think Miami can go wrong with anyone out of the Pitts/Chase/Smith/Waddle group. With anyone of them you're getting a blue chip talent and if our co-offensive coordinators can't find a way to put them in a position to succeed, it's on them.

booty Tight Pants GIF

How this for a Tight End?

Last edited:
I love Miami’s TE room currently as well, but if we do draft Pitts 6th I really don’t think we’re going to be using him as a TE. This is a guy who is so good as a receiver he could spend half his time lined up out wide.

You are clueless. I seriously may make this post my sig so we can all laugh at it next year.

Feel free. Way to tell me facts why I am wrong instead of trying to merely insult me. Can't way til we don't draft his ass and can't wait til he isn't the all pro you declared him to be.

That's a bit of an oversimplification. Gronk and Hernandez were seeing the same number of targets from day one and Hernandez was never strictly a slot, nor Gronk strictly inline. Gronk's best season as a pro by a pretty significant margin was when he was lined up next to Hernandez.

I agree that in order for it to show its full potential both TEs in the two TE set should be able to put their hand in the ground and take on a DE one on one. Gesicki can't do that, probably never will be able to, and that's a good part of the reason I don't expect him to be talking about an extension in Miami. But you can still run a two TE set with him as one of the TEs. Maybe not every play against every opponent but it can be a core concept in an effective offense.

May be odd man out, but, from memory, it seems a number of running plays died when the edge D crashed in and tackled the RB on runs between the tackles. Don't need a Gronk to stop that. Just get in the guys way for half a second.
Having said that, having MG, Pitts, DVP, Williams, Fuller (just guessing) isn't much difference from 5 WRs as far as blocking goes. My one discomfort with MG/Pitts is, repplacing one of them with Smythe is broadcasting a run play.

Back
Top Bottom