I like Miami's TE room right now. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I like Miami's TE room right now.

I'm starting come to terms that we won't get Pitts unless we see ATL trade back which is possible since they are actively shopping #4 right now.
Worst case scenario ATL drafts Pitts and Bengals draft Chase to reunite with Burrow and we grab Sewell with 6.
We then grab Harris at 18 and the best receiver still on the board at 36 such as Toney, Bateman etc.
I guess my point is that there is so much insane talent in this draft that we should come out smelling like roses regardless with 2 1sts and 2 seconds.

If your concept for a two TE offense is to have Gesicki + Smythe, that could work. Alternatively, if your concept is to lose Gesicki and use our primo draft pick simply to replace him with Kyle Pitts, then Kyle Pitts + Smythe could work also. But where we disagree is if you think Gesicki + Pitts would work. If that's your concept, then we're simply not going to agree on this one brother. Personally, I prefer the option of Gesicki + Chase to the option of Pitts - Gesicki, or Gesicki + Pitts. But, reasonable minds may differ on that perspective.

I see the ideal role for Gesicki being someone who get 20-30 snaps a game, so I don't really view him as an great pairing with anyone. Whether you want to call him a backup TE or slot WR hes a guy who can thrive exploiting certain mismatches or get completely neutralized dependent on the opponent. To me that's a player that every coordinator would love to have in his arsenal and very few would want as an every day starter.

I think you could do some interesting things with Smythe, Pitts, and Gesicki.

Ive mentioned plenty of facts here for months.

You can use basic google skill to look at his combine results and scouting reports.
Should give you some clarity on why your opinion is foolish.

Pretty funny how hard you root for this guy to fail. We will be sure and revisit this, dont you worry about that.

Yeah I don't subscribe to your posts to know what deluded things you mght have said on the "future hall of famer."

I am not rooting against him, I just think he is being hyped by ppl like you who think that football players are only as good as their 40 time

Your defintion of athletic is pretty hilarious.
Lots of folks here showing they barely watch college football or lean about the prospects they run their mouths about.
My definition of athletic is comparing his size, speed, and agility times in drills done by every other TE.

Did you know Gisecki is more athletic relative to his peers than Pitts is in said drills?

I'd love to hear what totally objective measure your definition is based off of since mine is apparently archaic.

I see the ideal role for Gesicki being someone who get 20-30 snaps a game, so I don't really view him as an great pairing with anyone. Whether you want to call him a backup TE or slot WR hes a guy who can thrive exploiting certain mismatches or get completely neutralized dependent on the opponent. To me that's a player that every coordinator would love to have in his arsenal and very few would want as an every day starter.

I think you could do some interesting things with Smythe, Pitts, and Gesicki.
We disagree on Gesicki. IMHO, he is ascending into an elite TE, and his play demands far more than 20 snaps a game. If you look at his production, there is a very good case to be made that he is our best player on offense. We can disagree about his worth and re-signing him, but let's be honest that he's an exceptional TE and playing him only 20 snaps a game is a bad move by any OC.

Watch some more tape, perhaps! I've watched every Gator and Dolphins game that these two have played in..not close to the level of Kyle is Mike.
After watching a bit more, I see both Pitts and Gesicki as being tall WRs; not big, strong TEs. I think Gesicki makes the tougher catches, but Pitts appears to be a better route runner.

We disagree on Gesicki. IMHO, he is ascending into an elite TE, and his play demands far more than 20 snaps a game. If you look at his production, there is a very good case to be made that he is our best player on offense. We can disagree about his worth and re-signing him, but let's be honest that he's an exceptional TE and playing him only 20 snaps a game is a bad move by any OC.

I don't see how anyone looks at Gesicki and thinks he can be an elite TE. He can't really block, his route tree is limited to about 3 distinct routes, and he can't get yards after contact. Do you see any of those things changing over time? I'm assuming both the blocking and inability to break tackles is in large part due to him playing upright and not having the lower body strength. Maybe he'll put in the work and that'll improve but we haven't seen much evidence so far. The route thing I think is hopeless.

Hes big, hes fast, and hes got an incredible catch radius. He has a place in the NFL...just think you need a whole lot more from your starting TE.

I have no interest in spending the number 6 pick on a te/wr hybrid. Give me Smith then Chase or trade down and grab Bateman.

I don't see how anyone looks at Gesicki and thinks he can be an elite TE. He can't really block, his route tree is limited to about 3 distinct routes, and he can't get yards after contact. Do you see any of those things changing over time? I'm assuming both the blocking and inability to break tackles is in large part due to him playing upright and not having the lower body strength. Maybe he'll put in the work and that'll improve but we haven't seen much evidence so far. The route thing I think is hopeless.

Hes big, hes fast, and hes got an incredible catch radius. He has a place in the NFL...just think you need a whole lot more from your starting TE.
Today's NFL is different than that of the past. If you honestly think anyone drafting Kyle Pitts is going to use him to run block and pass protect for 50% of his snaps, you are incorrect. Today there are two positions, and very few players can cover both. Those positions are referred to as "Move TE" and "In-Line TE" and just about every TE you see in the Pro Bowl and all of them on the All-Pro teams are Move TE's. Very few of them do much blocking at all these days.

Even in the past we had Kellen Winslow re-define the position and create the Move TE. He made the Hall of Fame because of his ability to receive the ball, not his ability to block. So while there are still a few Mark Bravaro types who are truly two-way players--and like you I cherish those guys because they're truly swiss-army knives--they are very few and far between. Take a guy like Travis Kelce, arguably one of those two-way players and the best TE in the game at the moment. He rarely run blocks and almost never pass protects. He can ... but his highest and best use is running routes. All of the stats discussed by fans are his receiving stats. All of the Pro Bowl considerations are looking at him as a pass catcher, not a two-way player.

So touting a rare pass catcher's average in-line blocking ability is not as relevant today as it used to be. We simply don't run as much, so the run blocking is less important. We now pay TE's good money because the Move TE is a subset of the Slot WR role, which has come into prominence today because everyone is running a variation of the West Coast Offense that uses short passes as replacement run plays to move the chains. A TE who can knife down the center of the field on a seam route absolutely wrecks some coverage schemes, opening up the entire passing game playbook for an OC. LB's can't cover them becasue they're too fast and the LB is quickly out of position. CB's can't cover them because they're flat out too big. Safeties are required to pick them up because they're the only ones who can physically have a chance at matching them ... and guys like Gesicki and Pitts are faster than many SS's, meaning the FS needs to abandon whatever he was doing and switch to deep coverage of that deadly seam route. Pitts is similar, but let's take a look at Gesicki for a second. When the QB throws the ball, no defender is as big (250 lbs.), strong (vice grip hands and powerful upper bodies), and long (6'6 with a 41.5" vertical) as Gesicki to dominate those contested catches. And after the catch, he may not be nifty, but good luck tackling him at the point of contact. He's usually going to drag you for an extra yard or three.

Discounting Gesicki because of his blocking is out of step with the current game. Yes, everyone would prefer that he be a better blocker ... but nobody wants him blocking very often, because his gifts are wasted if he's not out in the pattern. He's a modern Move TE. Anyone advocating for Kyle Pitts needs to understand that Kyle Pitts is also a Move TE, and trying to convert him to a blocker would be like trying to convert Walter Payton to a blocker ... it's just a waste.

May be odd man out, but, from memory, it seems a number of running plays died when the edge D crashed in and tackled the RB on runs between the tackles. Don't need a Gronk to stop that. Just get in the guys way for half a second.
Having said that, having MG, Pitts, DVP, Williams, Fuller (just guessing) isn't much difference from 5 WRs as far as blocking goes. My one discomfort with MG/Pitts is, repplacing one of them with Smythe is broadcasting a run play.
Try it, and Smythe will catch the ball. He's no slouch at fitting in zone holes and doesnt drop the ball. I feel Smythe definitely proved himself worthy that way.

Based on this thread confirming my views:
If you draft Pitts youre thinking 'Post 2021' as youre not really improving over what you already have...because Gisecki is a good AND experienced player.
Is Rookie Pitts going to be better than 3rd-Year Gisecki (4th year?) What are you really gaining as it applies to the 2021 Dolphins?
And, if youre not thinking about 2021, shouldn't we trade down to draft Surtain to replace X in 2022? Same thought process.

Therefore, if the goal is 2021 Dolphins improving, then Pitts is not the guy cuz you already have a very good 'move TE'.

Back
Top Bottom