I love Nick Saban...BUT..he is full of crap on this one. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I love Nick Saban...BUT..he is full of crap on this one.

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
From the Finheaven front page:

Head Coach Nick Saban indicated Friday that the loss of cornerback Will Poole  who probably is out for the season with a knee injury  is not a major blow to the defense.

"Will Poole was a second-year player, a developmental player at that position who hadn't played that much," Saban said in a transcript on the Dolphins' official Web site. "We were looking to see the best way to use him in our defense, whether it was to be a fifth defensive back, or any other way he could best contribute."

The corner position is critical to the defense," Saban said. "I think that is the position that probably can put limitations on what you can do."

In an interview on 790-AM, Saban acknowledged an interest in former New England cornerback Ty Law, who is coming back from a broken foot.

"It makes it really, really difficult when a guy is coming off an injury to try to make a prediction as to what his productivity could be," Saban said.

Why is he downplaying Will Poole? The guy was a first round talent that was on the fast track to the starting unit.....

He also graded out higher according to Mel Phillips than Pat Surtain last year.....

I don't get why Saban had to do this.....maybe he is just fluffing it off so the team doesn't get down...afterall...we are a team....and no one guy is bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Who knows really? One thing I think we've all learned about Saban is you can't really trust much that he says...this could be viewed as good or bad I guess. My guess would be that he is just instilling a little confidence in the rest of our CB's.....or... something like that? Either way I hope to see Poole back some time this year.

Hes correct...not a 5th defensive back but will poole had the potential to start but hasnt beat anyone out to start yet...Travis Daniels has a great chance to start this year and excel cause he knows sabans system well but reggie howard on the other side looks like a lock to me for right now

I think that some of his confidence has to do with what the Patriots were able to do with a ravaged secondary last year. He believes schemes and disguises of coverage will be enough to overcome personnel issues.....we were extremely reliant on bump & run man to man in the Bates schemes but might not be nearly as much in the future...just a thought

kizzaboo said:
Doesnt matter in the slightest bit.

Yeah...your'e right...they should have just taken Will Poole out back after his injury and shot him.

Please....let's not do the "He sucked anyway" because he is hurt.

Im assuming that he was saying Poole was working towards being the nickel back.

Two safety`s and two starting corners.

Then Poole at the nickel spot.

Thats 5(th) defensive backs.

He is still a developing player. He has the potential to be a full time starter, but he hasnt reached that point, yet.

So at this point, what have we really lost?

This injury is worse for Will Poole, than it is for the Dolphins.

snowy said:
I think that some of his confidence has to do with what the Patriots were able to do with a ravaged secondary last year. He believes schemes and disguises of coverage will be enough to overcome personnel issues.....we were extremely reliant on bump & run man to man in the Bates schemes but might not be nearly as much in the future...just a thought

Very intelligent post...and probably dead on.

He could be feeding this to the press to downplay any perceived sense of urgency that FA cornerbacks may be drooling over in possible contract talks...

Phinadict said:
He could be feeding this to the press to downplay any perceived sense of urgency that FA cornerbacks may be drooling over in possible contract talks...

WOW...the intelligent posts are on a roll now....I think THIS is the best one so far....

I think crapping all over Will Poole was designed to say to Ty Law: "We are not going nuts over you, buddy!"

Phinadict said:

This is a real possibility especially with the timing of the transcript comming out.. I don't know if it will fool anybody though.

Buddwalk said:
Hes correct...not a 5th defensive back but will poole had the potential to start but hasnt beat anyone out to start yet...Travis Daniels has a great chance to start this year and excel cause he knows sabans system well but reggie howard on the other side looks like a lock to me for right now

I'm not to sure about Daniels starting opposite Madison when we have 2 other players in Howard and Edwards that have experience starting in this league. I know that Daniels knows Saban's system but the jump from CB in college to CB in the NFL is quite a lot to ask of a 4th round draft pick don't you think? If Daniels is starting at CB this season, I think our secondary is in trouble.

I'll be one of the first to say that we won't get Law.. but we do have the most money to spend on him and he would be the only big contract we've given out so far this offseason besides Ronnie. Might as well spend the money while we have it.

If Poole played the "nickel back" this season that would have been a step in the right direction. What was Saban suppose to do? Automatically appoint Will Poole the starting corner over Howard?

I dont see the problem with Sabans statement.

Back
Top Bottom