I Love Our HC and GM But... | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Love Our HC and GM But...

I read an article this morning which stated that the Dolphins will not pay off season workout bonuses unless the players who have these bonuses show up and workout at the facility. Most organizations are paying the bonuses as long as the players sign on virtually and record their workouts at home or in another location.

The players association have advised players not to show up for these voluntary workouts and the Dolphin players were one of the majority of the teams which voted to not attend voluntary workouts. I just wonder if by forcing the players to attend these voluntary workout to receive their bonuses while most teams are not forcing their players to attend voluntary workouts to earn their bonuses is going to create an issue between the players, coaches and upper management. I just hope not.

Well the season prior (his rookie year) he was real good as a S. McCain at S was a disaster. For one, he was way to small and couldn’t tackle anyone without getting dragged another 2-3 yards. That made less sense to me than using Minkah in multiple places.

I read an article this morning which stated that the Dolphins will not pay off season workout bonuses unless the players who have these bonuses show up and workout at the facility. Most organizations are paying the bonuses as long as the players sign on virtually and record their workouts at home or in another location.

The players association have advised players not to show up for these voluntary workouts and the Dolphin players were one of the majority of the teams which voted to not attend voluntary workouts. I just wonder if by forcing the players to attend these voluntary workout to receive their bonuses while most teams are not forcing their players to attend voluntary workouts to earn their bonuses is going to create an issue between the players, coaches and upper management. I just hope not.
Long gone are the Don Shula 3 practices a day sessions.

What this tells me is something I knew all along which I have been saying the day they released Minkah Fitzpatrick. They screwed up very badly on that move.
Trading a guy for a 1st round pick is not quite the same as releasing him but let's not let that get in the way of your narrative.

Long gone are the Don Shula 3 practices a day sessions.
Those 3 practices a day were held during the preseason to actually get players in shape. Unlike today in which players are paid enough money to live on throughout the year and can workout on a continuous basis.
In the years Shula held three practices a day, players worked jobs in the off season to support themselves. Back in those days, the Dolphins and other teams rarely allowed water breaks during practice because having to take frequent water breaks was seen at the time that players were out of shape.

Those 3 practices a day were held during the preseason to actually get players in shape. Unlike today in which players are paid enough money to live on throughout the year and can workout on a continuous basis.
In the years Shula held three practices a day, players worked jobs in the off season to support themselves. Back in those days, the Dolphins and other teams rarely allowed water breaks during practice because having to take frequent water breaks was seen at the time that players were out of shape.
I think Duck Anderson sold insurance as his “real” job. Crazy to think most players had to work another job to support a family back then.

As for out of shape. I think my favorite (non-Dolphin) memory was when Bum Phillips was questioned about Earl Campbell being so out of shape he couldn’t finish a 1-mile run in camp. Phillips responded something like, “if it’s 4th and a mile I won’t give it to him”.

I thought that was awesome.

Trading a guy for a 1st round pick is not quite the same as releasing him but let's not let that get in the way of your narrative.
Regardless, we do need to find a good FS. Hoping the new guy, or Jones or any of them 27 DBs we have on the roster can emerge as a clear favorite.

IMO you can’t expect players drafted by a previous regime to thrive in a new staff’s system. Minkah struggled in our system to the point he baby rage quit on the team by forcing a trade. He gets to play like a selfish gambler on the Steelers, so he got what he wanted. He makes a lot of splash plays that get him Pro Bowl votes, but he isn’t really a consistent player.
Don't discount how many Jets and cheatriot fans are making him a pro bowl and an all-pro just because of the situation going from Miami to shitsburgh.

Players have personalities, his didn't want to play for us. So, see ya. I have no problem losing him. I want players who want to play for us.
And maybe players whose families dont complain via twitter.

Bobby McCain was released yesterday in what could reasonably be considered a salary cap move. The Dolphins have drafted 2 Safeties the last 2 years. And they also brought in Malik Hooker for a tryout. What this tells me is something I knew all along which I have been saying the day they released Minkah Fitzpatrick. They screwed up very badly on that move. McCain was never in the same class as Fitzpatrick is. And they have been trying to for 2 years now to right a wrong and they can't. It's a damn shame.
Fitzpatrick became disgruntled. **** him.

That is irrelevant to the point I was making. When he was drafted I wanted Minkah at FS too and it made no sense to me that they drafted a guy who was projected as a FS and not play him there then took a good slot cb and moved him to S. But the fact remains that Minkah was given a job and couldnt handle it then cried his way out.
He wasn't crying when he put on that Pro-Bowl uniform though. Bobby McCain is on the street. Oh the irony.

Players are their own CEO.

As the Dolphins have shown, Flores/Grier preach "team first" but show no loyalty and will cut players in a blink of an eye. Even players like McCain, echo'd team first, team Captain, switched positions from slot to undersized safety, etc and got cut because he was coming due to get paid on his contract. Not a good message to other players.

I don't blame Minkah one bit for not wanting to play for Flores. As soon as he got injured pretending to be qasi-LB, Flores would cut him without remorse. It sucks that we sent an All-Pro Safety for the next decade away.
Good point. The way he handled the Ryan Fitzpatrick benching wasn't good either. Minkah would have been our best FS since Jake Scott, and this is what irks me the most. Even Caldwell said trading a good young player away like that is a fireable offense.

If pick you and pay you millions, your going to do what I tell you to do and be happy about it.
Or go somewhere else and be unhappy there.
End of story.....

Back
Top Bottom