I need your prayers, please | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I need your prayers, please

Yesterday, I had some really cool things planned for my 91 y/o mom on Mother's Day - a home-cooked dinner, one of her favorite old movies...the whole nine yards. But yesterday afternoon, she started having pains in her right side and shortness of breath, so I insisted we go to the emergency room (I'm her full-time unpaid caregiver BTW). As with all hospitals, we had a long wait in the ER. The nurses and staff were terrific and so kind and helpful to her. After having an EKG, a chest x-ray, a CT scan, and blood and urine analysis, the doctor asked me to step outside her room to talk. He told me she has a small amount of pneumonia, a small blood clot in her lungs, and a dark spot on her lung that he said could well be cancer. I felt absolutely gut punched. Even though my mom is 91, she's a healthy 91 with a sharp mind and a very independent attitude. I spent the rest of my time with my mom by her side trying to be as strong as I could for her. After they admitted her at 2:34 am, they sent me home and told me to come back today when visiting hours start at noon. As soon as I left the hospital, I let my guard down and the tears started flowing and my heart started racing. Even though i don't consider myself the strong one in the family, my mom insists I am amd constantly tells me she doesn't know what she'd do without me.

I beg of all my FinHeaven brothers and sisters to pray for my mom's health - and a miracle. And please pray for God to give me the strength to be the rock for my mom and my sister, and to give me the strength to enevitably clean our her huge house and sell it. Bills will be coming soon and I pray I have the sanity to keep the house afloat, juggling finances and not having a heart attack or nervous breakdown in the process.

My thanks to all of you in advance. And if any of you went through similar scenarios with your parents and would like to share your stories, I'd feel privileged to hear them.
Prayers to you and your mom brother

Dammit, you guys....you've brought me to tears. Not just for your extremely generous prayers and wishes for my mom, but also for sharing your past and current stories of helping your parents and loved ones. My heart goes out to each and every one of you who is currently taking care of a family member, did so in the past, or lost a family member. It is extremely tough, but sharing stories, experiences, and learned advice with our fellow brothers helps us all in so many ways.

So a quick update on my mom: All in all, she had a pretty good day. I got to the hospital at the beginning of visiting hours, and when I walked into her room, the nurses were just finishing giving her a shampoo and getting the tangles out of her hair. They had dried her hair and had it up in a bun. My mom said it made her feel so good. Her nurses have been absolutely awesome, going way above and beyond for her and making sure she's comfortable and joking with her every chance they get. Maybe an hour later, they did a procedure to drain the fluid from her lung, the results of which netted A LITER of fluid from her right lung! She felt pretty crummy for about half and hour after (they told me that was due to her right lung inflating back to its normal size, which puts pressure on her neighboring organs). But soon enough, her breathing became a lot better. When I was with her yesterday, her O2 levels were typically between 88-90 with it peaking once at 91 (all low levels). But just a few hours after the procedure, her O2 levels were in the 95-96 range, which is really close to being normal. I know there will be difficult days ahead, but as many of you suggested, I'm just taking each day at a time and celebrating the "little" victories and not worrying about furure battles yet to be fought.

You guys are terrific!

Much Love,

Brian (HP Lovedrafts)

Dammit, you guys....you've brought me to tears. Not just for your extremely generous prayers and wishes for my mom, but also for sharing your past and current stories of helping your parents and loved ones. My heart goes out to each and every one of you who is currently taking care of a family member, did so in the past, or lost a family member. It is extremely tough, but sharing stories, experiences, and learned advice with our fellow brothers helps us all in so many ways.

So a quick update on my mom: All in all, she had a pretty good day. I got to the hospital at the beginning of visiting hours, and when I walked into her room, the nurses were just finishing giving her a shampoo and getting the tangles out of her hair. They had dried her hair and had it up in a bun. My mom said it made her feel so good. Her nurses have been absolutely awesome, going way above and beyond for her and making sure she's comfortable and joking with her every chance they get. Maybe an hour later, they did a procedure to drain the fluid from her lung, the results of which netted A LITER of fluid from her right lung! She felt pretty crummy for about half and hour after (they told me that was due to her right lung inflating back to its normal size, which puts pressure on her neighboring organs). But soon enough, her breathing became a lot better. When I was with her yesterday, her O2 levels were typically between 88-90 with it peaking once at 91 (all low levels). But just a few hours after the procedure, her O2 levels were in the 95-96 range, which is really close to being normal. I know there will be difficult days ahead, but as many of you suggested, I'm just taking each day at a time and celebrating the "little" victories and not worrying about furure battles yet to be fought.

You guys are terrific!

Much Love,

Brian (HP Lovedrafts)
GREAT news Brian, she's a fighter! Keep the faith. Praying for you all...

I lost my mom to cancer at 65 in November of 2020, so I, and alot of us understand what you're going through. Praying for you and for God to give you the strength to help you and your family to get through this. Your mom may be a healthy and spry 91, but cancer doesn't care how old you are. Case in point: my wife has a co-worker who's youngest daughter got bone marrow cancer in one of her legs, and this girl is in the single digits in age. The doctors got it out, but this girl now has a steel rod in that leg that has to be adjusted every so often to account for her growing.

I lost my mom to cancer at 65 in November of 2020, so I, and alot of us understand what you're going through. Praying for you and for God to give you the strength to help you and your family to get through this. Your mom may be a healthy and spry 91, but cancer doesn't care how old you are. Case in point: my wife has a co-worker who's youngest daughter got bone marrow cancer in one of her legs, and this girl is in the single digits in age. The doctors got it out, but this girl now has a steel rod in that leg that has to be adjusted every so often to account for her growing.

The day a cure for cancer is found will be one of the greatest moments on human history.

The day a cure for cancer is found will be one of the greatest moments on human history.
You are right about that. You mentioned how when you left the hospital, you let your guard down and the tears started flowing. Brian, I cried like a baby the night my mom passed, and I still tear up some now. My mom went on hospice and passed at home...I shut her oxygen machine off when I saw that she'd passed. I laid my head right above her mouth to feel for any breathing from her..nothing...I also was watching for any rising and falling of her chest to indicate she was breathing..nothing. My little brother and one of my mom's sisters was there, and after we called hospice to come there, I went outside on my mom's porch, sat down in one her chairs, and bawled like a baby. She only had me and my brother...studsatele on here...I was her first born, so it hit me hard. I think about her everyday and miss her sooo much. Sorry for the rambling, but once I started typing, it just started flowing.

Last edited:

Lost both of my parents to cancer before I was 16. It will be a great day indeed. (And PhinFan33 is right; those tears never fully go away.)

That is awesome to hear about your Mom; enjoy the wonderful days ahead!

You are right about that. You mentioned how when you left the hospital, you let your guard down and the tears started flowing. Brian, I cried like a baby the night my mom passed, and I still tear up some now. My mom went on hospice and passed at home...I shut her oxygen machine off when I saw that she'd passed. I laid my head right above her mouth to feel for any breathing from her..nothing...I also was watching for any rising and falling of her chest to indicate she was breathing..nothing. My little brother and one of my mom's sisters was there, and after we called hospice to come there, I went outside on my mom's porch, sat down in one her chairs, and bawled like a baby. She only had me and my brother...studsatele on here...I was her first born, so it hit me hard. I think about her everyday and miss her sooo much. Sorry for the rambling, but once I started typing, it just started flowing.
No worries Bro, we’re just a big ole Family here 😉

Yesterday, I had some really cool things planned for my 91 y/o mom on Mother's Day - a home-cooked dinner, one of her favorite old movies...the whole nine yards. But yesterday afternoon, she started having pains in her right side and shortness of breath, so I insisted we go to the emergency room (I'm her full-time unpaid caregiver BTW). As with all hospitals, we had a long wait in the ER. The nurses and staff were terrific and so kind and helpful to her. After having an EKG, a chest x-ray, a CT scan, and blood and urine analysis, the doctor asked me to step outside her room to talk. He told me she has a small amount of pneumonia, a small blood clot in her lungs, and a dark spot on her lung that he said could well be cancer. I felt absolutely gut punched. Even though my mom is 91, she's a healthy 91 with a sharp mind and a very independent attitude. I spent the rest of my time with my mom by her side trying to be as strong as I could for her. After they admitted her at 2:34 am, they sent me home and told me to come back today when visiting hours start at noon. As soon as I left the hospital, I let my guard down and the tears started flowing and my heart started racing. Even though i don't consider myself the strong one in the family, my mom insists I am amd constantly tells me she doesn't know what she'd do without me.

I beg of all my FinHeaven brothers and sisters to pray for my mom's health - and a miracle. And please pray for God to give me the strength to be the rock for my mom and my sister, and to give me the strength to enevitably clean our her huge house and sell it. Bills will be coming soon and I pray I have the sanity to keep the house afloat, juggling finances and not having a heart attack or nervous breakdown in the process.

My thanks to all of you in advance. And if any of you went through similar scenarios with your parents and would like to share your stories, I'd feel privileged to hear them.
Prayers up in Brentwood, TN

Back
Top Bottom