I said it before but it bares repeating after today. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I said it before but it bares repeating after today.

He’s two time defensive player of the year. MVP of bowl game. What tape are you watching. I’d draft him in second rd and never look back.
I get that you like the kid, but do not go overdrafting him in the process. He's not a 2nd rder. 4-5 rd. is where his value is. I like the kid and I see him making a team, initially, on ST. Eventually he may be able to break into a starter position. His hand is the only thing I see as an impediment, if it is even that. One could make the argument that it may make it more difficult to engage on tackles. But he has been living with it his whole life and he has played at a high level, so may be you can dismiss that argument. You just do not find many guys at the LB position that run a 4.38. He is a little undersized at the 6'0" 227, but in this days league with all the passing, he, in my estimation, would be perfect as a 5th defender in the nickel. There is no need to bring in another DB because he can fill that role. He can play off the ball. He can play on the edge. He can move out to the slot. He can play safety. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? He was at the combine.

If you read the entire comment i stated he wasn' invited initially.

I'e also stated several times in rooting for him and hopes he proves me wrong, but personally I don' see him more than depth and specials.

If you read the entire comment i stated he wasn' invited initially.

I'e also stated several times in rooting for him and hopes he proves me wrong, but personally I don' see him more than depth and specials.
No. If you read your comment and I qoute, "Not invited to combine because he on tape is lower than prospect # 200, work out warrior amazes the world and now he' a must Get?". Nowhere do you say initially.

Keep reading the post bro, towards end of 2nd paragraph....of course he was at combine we all watched him and saw that explosive performance, I already saw that he was explosive and wasn' stunned by his performance, well maybe the 4.38 but he' certainly 4.5 speed when you watch him.

I hope he overcomes and does become a player with his arm issue but he does struggle with disengaging and I don' feel as I'm off base with that opinion. Especially considering the talent level he played agai st for most part. Again, I hope he is better than I think, I've been wrong before and I have been right before in my evaluation of players. I hope he become a player, but I feel he may be just a work out warrior who may be just a depth guy and special teamer.

And as a later round selection that's not a bad thing being depth and specials, how many players will be out of the league in a few years that go top 100?

Maybe saying he wasn' top 200 was off, but I believe they brought around 180 to combine, am I off on That? I' open to being educated.

Ah you can't debate without issuing childish insults. Pretty sure there' not much in my post that was idiotic, go ahead and get all googly eyed for a workout warrior. I have seen some games, I am no guru but being a 4 year college athlete I know talent when I see it, he is gifted as an athlete and makes plays in his weak conference, and made some wow plays in big games too, but I've seen a lot of inconsistency and still view him as a late round selection fue to his athletic gifts. Should make a solid special seamer and 2 deep depth imo.

He played pretty well when matched up against "real" competition.

Shaquem Griffin's school, Central Florida, went 13-0 in 2017. Here are the last three games of his last season all against ranked opponents:

11/24/17 Win vs South Florida (AP Ranked #22) - 49-22 (Griffin 9 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 1 PD)
12/2/17 Win vs Memphis (AP Ranked #17) - 62-55 (Griffin 6 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 1 PD, 1 fumble recovery)
1/1/18 (Peach Bowl) Win vs Auburn (AP Ranked #7) - 34-27 (Griffin 12 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks)

Not bad for a team playing in a weak conference.

I'm not saying draft him and obviously the one handed thing is the weird "red flag"... I was actually wondering if he can get interceptions so I checked and he's actually got 3 interceptions in his last 3 years.

Ah you can't debate without issuing childish insults. Pretty sure there' not much in my post that was idiotic, go ahead and get all googly eyed for a workout warrior. I have seen some games, I am no guru but being a 4 year college athlete I know talent when I see it, he is gifted as an athlete and makes plays in his weak conference, and made some wow plays in big games too, but I've seen a lot of inconsistency and still view him as a late round selection fue to his athletic gifts. Should make a solid special seamer and 2 deep depth imo.
I question your instincts to identify instincts in a football player.jmo.

Griffin is smart as hell on the field, he will survey the offense, figure out what their trying to do, then the playmaking ability commences, with explosive speed to the ball.

As a pass rusher he is unique, hi level skills in this Dept..

There are linebackers who wait for the action to come to them, like a Malik Jefferson, and there are linebackers that initiate disruption, Griffin is the latter.

Griffin has what I call counter athleticism, the last time I saw it this good in a player it was in the honey badger and joe Schobert, this athletic ability allows his body to quickly counter any block and still find himself at the ball.

Before all this started I pegged him as a star at the next level, I feel confident about that eval even more.

I get that you like the kid, but do not go overdrafting him in the process. He's not a 2nd rder. 4-5 rd. is where his value is. I like the kid and I see him making a team, initially, on ST. Eventually he may be able to break into a starter position. His hand is the only thing I see as an impediment, if it is even that. One could make the argument that it may make it more difficult to engage on tackles. But he has been living with it his whole life and he has played at a high level, so may be you can dismiss that argument. You just do not find many guys at the LB position that run a 4.38. He is a little undersized at the 6'0" 227, but in this days league with all the passing, he, in my estimation, would be perfect as a 5th defender in the nickel. There is no need to bring in another DB because he can fill that role. He can play off the ball. He can play on the edge. He can move out to the slot. He can play safety. Just my two cents worth.
even though you like him your underrating him imo.
I’ll bet money he doesn’t reach the 4th, doesn’t deserve to reach the 4th...

Yes UCF did beat Auburn and they had a great year, but come on man really you think the AAC is a powerhouse conference, let' be real! Yes they went undefeated and beat Auburn and they get props for that but you really going to believe it' a power conference? I know USF is in that conference and you have pride and love for your team, but let' be real, is it known as a top tier conference?

I shouldn't have said weak, but by no means would any team in AAC be a powerhouse on any of the powerhouse conferences. I'm just being real man.

There definitely good players in that conference, ones I really like, but as a whole those teams wouldn'
Have been highly ranked in the SEC, ACC, BIG 10 or the other power 5 conferences. Am I off base, if I am educate me.
He was the best player on the field and dominated the game..

I would love to see him on Miami. Love his story, his work ethic and dedication. I think, at the very least, he'd contribute early on with special teams. Most scouting reports have him 5th round or later so it will be interesting to see if he is indeed drafted. I hope so.

DJ I know he makes plays, but he makes next to none while engaged with blocking and I look for LB'ers abilities to disengage, especially ILB'ers...he struggles with it which is a fact. Tell me how often does an inside backer get no engagement with big offensive lineman?

Until he proves he can do it he won't be in base defense...maybe some nickel defense, but he's a liability against the run, and imho until he fixes that my instincts and understanding of the game tells me he's depth and specials. He won't be roaming with out blockers as an LIB in the NFL.

Not sure I care what you think of my recognition skills, but my feeling is that he won't make an impact the way you think he will until he proves he can fight through blocks, disengage and let his extreme athleticism and plus instincts take over.

I haven't said he was terrible or doesn't make plays.....he does, a lot, with out engagement from blocking. That's my concern for this particular extraordinary football player, and all other inside backers no matter their athletic ability if they can't do it, disengage, they will not make the impact plays, because they won't be trusted to make plays which leads to my prognosis of him being depth and specials due to his athletic abilities and his vision.

DJ I know he makes plays, but he makes next to none while engaged with blocking and I look for LB'ers abilities to disengage, especially ILB'ers...he struggles with it which is a fact. Tell me how often does an inside backer get no engagement with big offensive lineman?

Until he proves he can do it he won't be in base defense...maybe some nickel defense, but he's a liability against the run, and imho until he fixes that my instincts and understanding of the game tells me he's depth and specials. He won't be roaming with out blockers as an LIB in the NFL.

Not sure I care what you think of my recognition skills, but my feeling is that he won't make an impact the way you think he will until he proves he can fight through blocks, disengage and let his extreme athleticism and plus instincts take over.

I haven't said he was terrible or doesn't make plays.....he does, a lot, with out engagement from blocking. That's my concern for this particular extraordinary football player, and all other inside backers no matter their athletic ability if they can't do it, disengage, they will not make the impact plays, because they won't be trusted to make plays which leads to my prognosis of him being depth and specials due to his athletic abilities and his vision.

Saying that Shaquem Griffin doesn't have "top 200 tape" automatically dismisses you from any conversation involving him. Because that is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen regarding him as a player.

He wasn't invited to the combine because of his hand. Period. If you want to bring level of competition into the equation, why not mention players like Josh Allen or Marcus Davenport who played significantly weaker competition than UCF did all year.

I'm doubting you actually watched much Shaquem Griffin tape, or recognized the impact he had on the team in the last two years, both in terms of defensive production and leadership. Saying his tape is not in the top 200 is quite possibly one of the worst draft takes that I've seen in my entire life.

Roquan Smith also has problems disengaging from blockers, but it's frequently brought up that his speed will make it hard for blockers to get a hand on him. Which, in the same light, is the exact same argument that should be made for Shaquem Griffin because he routinely does beat blockers with his speed, IE his high number of sacks and TFL.

It's cool though, for all the scouts who claim he's a late-round or undrafted player, there are just as many saying he should be a 3rd-4th round selection.

Might want to open your eyes a little bit, though. Shaquem might nub you in the face on his way to NFL stardom.

Again you are completely entitled to your opinion, your opinion differs from mine.

I haven't bashed him (other than maybe calling him a workout warrior) so I don't really understand all the backhanded snarky responses but I get it, y'all are infatuated with him due to his impediment and it is a wonderful feel good story to root for an under dog.

Re-read my posts fully and you'll see over and over where I got respect for him, hope he makes it, hope he proves me wrong and how he does make plays....some really respected posters in here showing over and over again that you only read what you want to read and addresing a negative comment in a whole post...and jump on a poster who doesn't share your opinion...its quite ignorant. It's all good tho, I do not share your opinion that he's a star in the making....

But when the day cones that he does, I'm a humble motha****a and I will admit that I didn' see it, that doesn't bother me...i just see him as a very athletic and instinctualt guy with a glaring weakness that will prevent him from making the impact you all think he will. God forbid someone sees something different than you do lol!

Last edited:
Saying that Shaquem Griffin doesn't have "top 200 tape" automatically dismisses you from any conversation involving him. Because that is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen regarding
He wasn't invited to the combine because of his hand. Period. If you want to bring level of competition into the equation, why not mention players like Josh Allen or Marcus Davenport who played significantly weaker competition than UCF did all year.

I'm doubting you actually watched much Shaquem Griffin tape, or recognized the impact he had on the team in the last two years, both in terms of defensive production and leadership. Saying his tape is not in the top 200 is quite possibly one of the worst draft takes that I've seen in my entire life.

Roquan Smith also has problems disengaging from blockers, but it's frequently brought up that his speed will make it hard for blockers to get a hand on him. Which, in the same light, is the exact same argument that should be made for Shaquem Griffin because he routinely does beat blockers with his speed, IE his high number of sacks and TFL.

It's cool though, for all the scouts who claim he's a late-round or undrafted player, there are just as many saying he should be a 3rd-4th round selection.

Might want to open your eyes a little bit, though. Shaquem might nub you in the face on his way to NFL stardom.

Look just 7 post above your post as I stated maybe #200 was off, but with 180 participants at combine he wasn't initially invited....again maybe he' closer to #150 but again he is widely been considered a late round pick and some had said prior to combine a possible UDFA...so is #200 really that off based???!!!!

I meant no disrespect when I said that, I apologize if it came off that way, I understand your point..but check this out, Roquon Smith is a fine linebacker prospect, who struggles to take on blocks and disengage..he's still going top 20.

Griffin did not play on the inside unless he was blitzing the gaps, he's a space player who can drop with good technique, or rush the passer, cover the flat with explosive speed or drop and cover the tight end..He's an off the ball linebacker with hi end pass rush skills..Not a mike.

I understand there might be some issues with tackling and making an Int when it presents itself, but the hi end instincts and versatility, alongside elite speed and hunger, combined with impact in the locker room and teammates, give him a 2nd day grade imo..I will live with a few missed tackles because I know he knows how to get his body into position to make plays, He's a disrupter of offense, an iniatiater if you will..

lets remember, this kid didn't start til later in his college career, just started rushing the passer in his last, but man, the instincts are hi-level stuff, so he's gonna learn the NFL game quickly, and he will adjust..and remember, he has a trait that only a few have, and thats what I call counter athleticism, which is the ability to react spontaneously to an offensive players move to escape..I know it when I see and it always translates..

sometimes certain players are worth the risk..

Back
Top Bottom