I Still See Philbin, Lazor, and Coyle's Style Here... Campbell must learn. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Still See Philbin, Lazor, and Coyle's Style Here... Campbell must learn.

Ghambit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
As much as I like Campbell, tonight was a good opportunity for him to show some coaching creativity and style originality... instead, I believe he let the schemes of the past creep too much into tonight's game. You weren't going to be the Pats at home on a short week by playing vanilla Philbin style. The offense showed little to no creativity and as usual, did not stay away from their weaknesses nor play to their strengths. Lazor? He's not that good. Let's just face it. Way too many mistakes tonight. Good OC's put their players in position to succeed and let the chips fall. Lazor? Expects everyone to play to his scheme regardless, and too often just flat out calls the wrong play. He is perpetually behind the DC's playcalling of most teams unless his players bail him out. Campbell's aggression was not evident in the offense at all either, and they bailed on the run way too soon... aside from failing to ever get the ball to Landry in space; even a simple end-around would have been nice.

The rungame? Plays took too long to develop, and Miller isn't known for hitting the hole hard and fast. Would have loved to see a Moreno type back in their tonite.

The defense? As well as they played in the 1st half, were overall pretty timid. Not aggressive enough, therefore no turnovers. A few times they looked too cute instead of just punching the Pats in the mouth. Taylor was typically overconservative in his alignments (10 yds back as a cornerback is lame) and the backers looked perpetually out of position. It just looked like they were trying too hard. I saw D-lineman dropping back again.... fail. And our blitzing schemes (did we even blitz ever?) weren't dastardly enough. I can't blame them much, however, because the offense looked the worst it has all year. Too much pressure on the D.

For Campbell, he needs to take more control now. Things don't work, he leaned on some guys, and they showed their warts. This is where the rah-rah fails. He needs to take his aggressive style and now transfer it over to his coaches and scheme the same way.

I don't know what happened to establishing the run game. This game offensively looked too similar to our previous pass happy games in the pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty certain they threw on 1st down every single drive. It was the most ridiculous try-hard playcalling I have seen all year.

Who told Lazor that is how you beat the Pats? because every single scouting report out there explicitly states you have to beat them on the line.

another thread about how a team was supposed to pull Dick Lebeau and Norv Turner out of their ass mid-season

FH is sofa king stupid

I honestly don't think this game tells us anything about Campbell. We were playing the defending Super Bowl champs on the road on a short week with a coach who was three games into his tenure. He acquired Ireland, Hickey and Tannenbaum's players and Philbin's staff and playbook. He also inherited players that some of whom spent three years having their very energies for the game siphoned away by Average Joe.

Really, look at this roster. There are guys to build around. But a huge part of it is drek. It's rotted and needs to be cut away and replaced. That our defense did as well as it did in the first half with essentially no linebackers who could start on a good team is amazing. Our O-Line is putrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
another thread about how a team was supposed to pull Dick Lebeau and Norv Turner out of their ass mid-season

FH is sofa king stupid

We did it before during the '08 season and ended up going to the Playoffs. This season could have been no different if anyone had a sac to call the right game. I thought Campbell was that guy. He's might not be.

edit: stop blaming the roster. The Pats have a worse one except for their QB, coach, and LBs. Yet they always win. Why??

We did it before during the '08 season and ended up going to the Playoffs. This season could have been no different if anyone had a sac to call the right game. I thought Campbell was that guy. He's might not be.

edit: stop blaming the roster. The Pats have a worse one except for their QB, coach, and LBs. Yet they always win. Why??

They have a freak of nature at TE. They are better at the most important position on the field and the most important position on defense. They might not have a lot of great players, but they have a lot of good ones and they don't have as much dropoff when they go to their second or third guys, and their coach knows how to play to the strengths of all of them.

I don't believe our roster is better than theirs. It's not nearly as deep, and the margin of difference between their LBs and ours or their QB and ours is galactic.

Point is, they know how to work with what they have and our staff doesn't. That's the main determining factor in who wins or not. Even the Pats themselves have said over the years that the phins as a whole have many times had more overall talent; we just fail to use them correctly. That's a coaching issue... and tonight the coaching issues (especially on offense) showed up again. Campbell has not put enough of his mark on this team. No way this happens to Belicheck (or even a Parcells) if he's in Campbell's shoes. OC's dont get out of control with their playcalling with those coaches.

Tannehill? Takes the next biggest blame, but I do believe he has a tremendous upside if schemed right and coached well. Again, he's on the wrong team for that.

The offense looked extremely unprepared and disjointed, per Philbin's M-O.
That 63-yd kick was ridiculous before halftime. I'll take a hail-mary try all day, and I sort of expected Campbell to go for one ... not sure what he saw that seemed like kicking a near-impossible kick with a rookie was the better last-ditch plan.

Point is, they know how to work with what they have and our staff doesn't. That's the main determining factor in who wins or not. Even the Pats themselves have said over the years that the phins as a whole have many times had more overall talent; we just fail to use them correctly. That's a coaching issue... and tonight the coaching issues (especially on offense) showed up again. Campbell has not put enough of his mark on this team. No way this happens to Belicheck (or even a Parcells) if he's in Campbell's shoes. OC's dont get out of control with their playcalling with those coaches.

Don't disagree with most of that, but you have to consider Belichick is very good, give the devil his due, and he's had a long time to get this good. Campbell not only is just starting, but he's stuck with the roster and assistants he was given and guys that have been indoctrinated into Philbin's sleep-inducing style of getting fired up over the last three-plus years.

We might not know what we really have in Campbell even after this season. I like what I've seen so far, tonight notwithstanding. To come out and score to start the second half was encouraging. But I think you really will find out more about him and the players next week. Do they return to what we saw with Philbin or does the taste of their own blood make them want to come out and pummel the Bills? We shall see. I am optimistic.

Lazor is a star

Barhocker_fcm-1.jpg

Daytona, I always look forward to your posts for some reason.

If you watched the pre-game, what did Cowher say Campbell MUST do?!? He said to keep it simple and be who he is; play his style of game. Campbell flat out failed to do that. Matter of fact, I've seen Philbin do more on a sideline than Campbell did today. He was a true deer-in-the-headlights. Not a good showing by him at all, especially when a HOF coach gives you sage advice (to your face) that you promptly disregard.

The guy got lost in the Phins' ****tastic system, instead of bringing his brand of pain. Not good.

I completely agree with the op. Lazor went into his blind panic mode and Campbell had to step in and right the ship. There is no way this team should throw the ball 49 times! Campbell hears all the plays and should've stepped in. It was a rookie move and if he wants to have a chance at sticking around he can not let it happen again. Lazor on the other hand, needs to go. Too many times he lets the opponent rattle him and dictate his play calling. He should've stayed the course and called a balanced game. We weren't going to win this game but we could've done things to make it a closer game and keep the mojo flowing for buffalo and beyond. Now it's back to square one yet again.

Back
Top Bottom