"I take responsibility" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I take responsibility"

fishypete said:
We have had a top defense in the past 4-5 years.

but not a "punishing" defense. it's been more of a finesse defense, IMO. it wasn't a defense that people feared. sure, QB's feared throwing picks, but i don't think they were feared physically. that looks like it will change.

fishypete said:
We lost close games last year...without a running game;

Lost to Cinncy...16-13

Lost to Buffalo at Buffalo...20-13

Lost to Arizona...24-23

Lost to Seattle...24-17

Lost to Denver...20-17

Lost to Baltimore...30-23

Lost to Chicago...27-24

How many games could the Dolphins won....just if they had a running game last season.

You know that is a REALLY good question.

DPlus47 said:
but not a "punishing" defense. it's been more of a finesse defense, IMO. it wasn't a defense that people feared. sure, QB's feared throwing picks, but i don't think they were feared physically. that looks like it will change.

I agree completely...in the last decade the defense was quick...moving on the ball, we had a great secondary with an excellent D-line. Right now our sure strength is the toughness of our D-line that sure has gone the way of "punishing" the last few games. It's going to come together. I am certain. This team is going to be much better by the end of this season.

Superself said:
You know that is a REALLY good question.

and with ricky and ronnie, this team can have more than just a running game. i hope the QB play improves. in all seriousness, i like what they are doing with the playcalling most of the time. you have to keep taking your shots so you're not one dimensional. even if you aren't executing the passes, you have to keep calling them to keep the backs from getting teed off on. i bet they would have come back with a 4th and 2 run. but we'll never know, thanks to one horrible decision on the field...

:bravo:

dQbell said:
That's what coach Saban said about the 3rd and 2 call. So many people question because it didn't work. So many want instant results. Listen to Saban's post-game conferences. This man has it together. Listen to what he said about putting Sage in right now. I walk away from his press conferences inspired because he has an excellent philosophy of life that he applies to his coaching. I'm a bit weary of so many demanding impulsive decisions. Do this, do that. Sure, we can say that because we don't have to deal with the consequences of the decision. Congratulations, you're an armchair quarterback.

dQbell said:
That's what coach Saban said about the 3rd and 2 call. So many people question because it didn't work. So many want instant results. Listen to Saban's post-game conferences. This man has it together. Listen to what he said about putting Sage in right now. I walk away from his press conferences inspired because he has an excellent philosophy of life that he applies to his coaching. I'm a bit weary of so many demanding impulsive decisions. Do this, do that. Sure, we can say that because we don't have to deal with the consequences of the decision. Congratulations, you're an armchair quarterback.

Exactly.. so many people talking about "excuses" and things!... i swear they don't listen to the interviews and soley get their information here. People need to listen to the interviews.. and not necessarily and newspapers report and opinion of it. Or a radio commentators opinion. Theirs are just that opinions.
never once have I heard excuses. Saban has already said that he will not call out any player in the media. These are things fans on this site have been asking for. And It wont be done. And it won't be because it's wrong and unprofessional.
We may not like outcomes of certain decisions.. But more importantly.. i would rather it be dealt with in house than to shoot off the hip in the media... T.O. is a perfect example on how it can become surreal and stupid.
We dont have the talent everyone says we have at every position... which means mistakes will be made no matter how good the coaching is. we should be happy where we are... And if we finish .500... Lets be happy about that.

so what?

You're right we are armchair QB's. So what? That's what fans do. That doesn't make what we say invalid, in fact armchair QB's often see problems more clearly than real coaches because we don't a system we have to prove works to keep our job.That their are no consequences to our calls doesn't make them invalid, that is in fact what makes them more objective.

No one is saying Saban sucks which you seem to intimate. It's too early to make any judgements on Saban. There are however signs that he is not going to make a good NFL coach which are worrying WannStedt sucked because he would quit doing things that didn't work (amoung all his other problems). Sabans problem so far seem to be that he won't stick with things that DO work. He's playing college ball not NFL ball. Gimmick plays don't work in the NFL more than a couple of times a year. You can't run them every week like he is doing. But I'm not going into that. I want to stick with the 3 and 2 call.

We aren't questioning the call because it didn't work, we are questioning it because it was a stupid call. I was on my feet calling him a moron (not that he is a moron, that was just my instant reaction to such a bonehead call) as soon as I saw it was going be a pass BEFORE THE BALL WAS THROWN. Had it worked I would STILL have called it a stupid play. I would have said Saban got lucky. You don't put the ball in Ferrotts hands with the game on the line. Both backs averaged over 5 yds a carry on the day. They couldn't stop Ronnie up the middle for less than 2 yds all day. You have 2 of the best backs in the NFL and one of the worst QB's. Surely these things are not debatable. How many times does a Mia QB have to throw an interception at the end of a close game to stop throwing the ball in those situations? Ok so Saban takes responsiblility for the call. We are supposed to admire him for that? How could he not? IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY, he's the freaking HEAD COACH! Wannstedt was honest too, did that make him a great coach?

You post is ridiculous. Every point you made was nonsense. We aren't talking about rooting for Saban, we all hope he is the answer. We are saying it was a stupid call to throw rather than run in that situation and we would like to see him make calls based on whats working in the particular game they are playing. You don't need tricks when you have something simple that is working. You say your tired of impulsive decisions? That's the problem with the call, it was implusive, it wasn't based on the facts of the game.

I'm not hanging Saban as a coach, he has the rest of this year and a few week next year so prove he can coach in the NFL. That doesn't mean he gets a pass on bonehead plays like this though.

wbreno said:
You're right we are armchair QB's. So what? That's what fans do. That doesn't make what we say invalid, in fact armchair QB's often see problems more clearly than real coaches because we don't a system we have to prove works to keep our job.That their are no consequences to our calls doesn't make them invalid, that is in fact what makes them more objective.

No one is saying Saban sucks which you seem to intimate. It's too early to make any judgements on Saban. There are however signs that he is not going to make a good NFL coach which are worrying WannStedt sucked because he would quit doing things that didn't work (amoung all his other problems). Sabans problem so far seem to be that he won't stick with things that DO work. He's playing college ball not NFL ball. Gimmick plays don't work in the NFL more than a couple of times a year. You can't run them every week like he is doing. But I'm not going into that. I want to stick with the 3 and 2 call.

We aren't questioning the call because it didn't work, we are questioning it because it was a stupid call. I was on my feet calling him a moron (not that he is a moron, that was just my instant reaction to such a bonehead call) as soon as I saw it was going be a pass BEFORE THE BALL WAS THROWN. Had it worked I would STILL have called it a stupid play. I would have said Saban got lucky. You don't put the ball in Ferrotts hands with the game on the line. Both backs averaged over 5 yds a carry on the day. They couldn't stop Ronnie up the middle for less than 2 yds all day. You have 2 of the best backs in the NFL and one of the worst QB's. Surely these things are not debatable. How many times does a Mia QB have to throw an interception at the end of a close game to stop throwing the ball in those situations? Ok so Saban takes responsiblility for the call. We are supposed to admire him for that? How could he not? IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY, he's the freaking HEAD COACH! Wannstedt was honest too, did that make him a great coach?

You post is ridiculous. Every point you made was nonsense. We aren't talking about rooting for Saban, we all hope he is the answer. We are saying it was a stupid call to throw rather than run in that situation and we would like to see him make calls based on whats working in the particular game they are playing. You don't need tricks when you have something simple that is working. You say your tired of impulsive decisions? That's the problem with the call, it was implusive, it wasn't based on the facts of the game.

I'm not hanging Saban as a coach, he has the rest of this year and a few week next year so prove he can coach in the NFL. That doesn't mean he gets a pass on bonehead plays like this though.

You don't think I jump up and yell, "what the hell was that?" Or, when Ronnie fumbled on that drive in Buffalo, you don't think I said to myself, "Will this team ever get back to rising above the challenge?" I have doubts and concerns, but when you listen to our coaching leadership, you can't help but believe we are heading in a positive direction.

lol..by the way, what do you mean..."No one is saying Saban sucks which you seem to intimate."

wbreno said:

The call was fine its the execution that sucked.. Gus should have thrown the ball away and we still would have had another down...Chris has made that type of play a lot of times in the past why not give him a shot.Chambers scored the Fins only TD last week was that a bad call ???

dQbell said:

I agree completely.

wbreno said:

That's just delusional! :goof:

Any great leader would take the rap. He gave the keys to Linehan on offense. The offense blew it. Saban is a manager, not an x and o guy on offense. Linehan is the guy with the keys to the car. The car decided to pass, when it wasnt working all day, on a 3rd and 2 with two downs to do it in and 2 and a half minutes of clock needed to be wasted. He takes the blame because next time we come into the same situation, he will run a run play, only it will be with RB in motion and Ricky getting the ball straight ahead. Nick Learned alot about his team on Sunday. He will learn more this week against the Pats.

fishypete said:
We lost close games last year...without a running game;

Lost to Cinncy...16-13

Lost to Buffalo at Buffalo...20-13

Lost to Arizona...24-23

Lost to Seattle...24-17

Lost to Denver...20-17

Lost to Baltimore...30-23

Lost to Chicago...27-24

How many games could the Dolphins won....just if they had a running game last season.

Probably 10, just like they averaged the previous 4 seasons.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Except for the KC game, we have been in every game and kept every game close. We have draft picks contributing significantly. We have a HC that leads by example.

Finally, it was only two games that ended up as losses where our Offense possessed the ball at the end with a chance to Tie the score. The buffalo game and the Atlanta game.

In the Buffalo game we were driving and Ronnie fumbled on a dump off pass.....we were driving and the play call was fine, the results were a turnover. We trailed by 6 so the TD was necessary and an Extra point would have given us the lead. It didnt work out.

In Atlanta we were driving and a INT prevented a chance to tie with a successful extra point.

Thats a very fine point. But I still say it was a no brainer to run the damn ball when thats what got ya there all day long. We had em on the ropes. We flung the rope when we should have just grabbed the bull by the horns.

Back
Top Bottom