I think we are charmed....(finally) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think we are charmed....(finally)

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
If you REALLY analyze the draft.....It was really amature hour......

We missed an opportunity to trade down one spot with Cleveland because we insisted on a 3rd and they wanted a 4th.....(reportedly)

We never traded with philadelphia when they were offering two for one to everybody and at the time (4th round) our target guy was going to be there (Travis Daniels)

There are a few more examples on how we were less than a finely tuned well oiled drafting machine.....BUT....

WE HAD A GREAT DRAFT!

Could it be? By getting rid of that jinx (Wanny)....we are now in the ranks of the charmed? You know...those teams that can never do wrong? Those teams that there shat never stinks?

I THINK SO....how can you explain us screwing up so much (technically)...and still bringing home at least a B+ draft?

Goodbye....our rotten luck.....hello dumb luck!!!

Funny how hiring a winner just changes the whole outlook of a franchise.....I SMELL THE CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I dont follow your logic...to many times fans believe that trading down means somehow your smarter then everyone else.

The first point of the draft is to get the players you feel are the best players to make "your" team better and if your player is their draft him.

I dont understand the fans logic that we should have traded down if the offer is fair then yes maybe however if your not certain you will still get the player you want then dont trade down.

One last reminder for all who think trading down is always the best way,,, remember Jimmy Johnson he was so smart he traded out of his spot "before" the draft even begun and ultimatly cost himself a chance at Randy Moss ( and for those of you who believe his claims now that he still wouldnt have drafted Moss yea right)

I would have definitely traded down with Cleveland to gain a 4th. Even if they would have taken Brown, Benson would have been there.

The Browns were not going to take Ronnie Brown...they wanted Braylon Edwards or Alex Smith........

I think we screwed up there....like I said....we F'D' up plenty and still came out smelling like a rose.

Nick felt setting a precedent that he wasn't going to get taken advantage of was more important than the pick he might have gained with Cleveland (and you're speculating it was there -- they probably knew well that Minnesota and Washington were staying put). I'm not going to be critical of that decision -- it is one that could yield us better terms in the future and more than pay for itself. He was careful to send the message with the Surtain trade that he would stick to his guns *and* that he would be reasonable about terms like the swap of 5ths. I dig what he did here to be honest with you.

Here's the problem with that trade down with Cleveland: sure, Saban still gets his guy, but by taking a fourth to move down one spot, even though it's best for all concerned (Miami gets their guy, saves a few bucks, Cleveland gets some peace of mind), he gets branded a softie around the NFL, someone you can take advantage of. Once you get a rep like that, it's VERY hard to shake.

The Eagles trade down, if it was on the table, would have made sense, but I can definitely excuse not trading with Cleveland.

Funny but Savage says he wasn't interested in trading up. Said Saban called him and he said no thanks, they joked and that was it. But I guess you know more then the Browns GM. I can go get the article if you want to read it.

I've noticed you're never happy, so I doubt Saban or any coach can ever
cure that.

Section126 said:
The Browns were not going to take Ronnie Brown...they wanted Braylon Edwards or Alex Smith........

I think we screwed up there....like I said....we F'D' up plenty and still came out smelling like a rose.

We didn't screw up. We would have screwed up had we taken only a 4th round pick to make that deal. That's not value for the pick. Nothing less than a 3rd round pick.

KB21 said:
We didn't screw up. We would have screwed up had we taken only a 4th round pick to make that deal. That's not value for the pick. Nothing less than a 3rd round pick.

Even if the Browns still took Edwards and we still took Brown?

Sgt.FinFan said:
Funny but Savage says he wasn't interested in trading up. Said Saban called him and he said no thanks, they joked and that was it. But I guess you know more then the Browns GM. I can go get the article if you want to read it.

I've noticed you're never happy, so I doubt Saban or any coach can ever
cure that.

Nick played up the idea that he would take Braylon long enough to get Cleveland to think about it.

byroan said:
Even if the Browns still took Edwards and we still took Brown?

Yes. That 2nd pick carried a certain value, and if that value isn't met, you don't trade the pick. As someone mentioned above, if he takes less than value for that pick, then he's labeled for life as a guy who will trade for less than value. Teams now know that to deal with Miami, they will get a very quick no if they try to low ball us on a deal.

Section126 said:

Sure about that? I dunno I do not see anything special in the Cleveland backfield where the weather is cold and wet and a team just needs a power back with speed.

phunwin said:
Here's the problem with that trade down with Cleveland: sure, Saban still gets his guy, but by taking a fourth to move down one spot, even though it's best for all concerned (Miami gets their guy, saves a few bucks, Cleveland gets some peace of mind), he gets branded a softie around the NFL, someone you can take advantage of. Once you get a rep like that, it's VERY hard to shake.

The Eagles trade down, if it was on the table, would have made sense, but I can definitely excuse not trading with Cleveland.

:wink: Your right Phunwin, And nobody on this board knows what was on the table!!!

Section, you need to try better, you have been going downhill lately!

Back
Top Bottom