I think we are mostly done until June 1st. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think we are mostly done until June 1st.

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
Here's what I have now... correct me if I've missed anything.

Offense (31)
QB: Tua, White, Thompson
RB: Wilson, Mostert, Ahmed, Gaskin
FB: Ingold, Lovett
WR1: Hill
WR2: Waddle
WRs: Wilson, Ezukanma, Sanders, Berrios, Swain, Cracraft
TE: Smythe, Saubert, Conner
LT: Armstead, Lamm
LG: Eichenberg, Jones
C: Williams, Feeney
RG: Hunt, Cotton
RT: Jackson, Christian, Smith

Defense (29)
DE: Ogbah, Twyman
DT: Wilkins, Bronson
DT: Davis, Sieler
Edge: Phillips, Chubb, Van Ginkle, Reed, Goode
MLB: Long, Tindall
WLB: Baker, Riley
CB1: Ramsey, Iggy, Bethel
CB2: Hoard, Crossen
FS: Holland
SS: Elliot, Jones
DBs: Kohou, Needham, Williams, Campbell, McKinley, Ellis

(Specials 3)
K: Sanders
P: Bailey
LS: Ferguson

Total (63)

We have 2M remaining under the cap until we get our Byron Jones relief. Let's take a look at the only realistic possibilities that might happen to increase this space...
a) There are a couple of people who keep saying, 'cut Crossen'. Myself, I think this is unlikely, but I will list it as a service to these posters. (3.155M... replaced by River Cracraft's 940K... net possible gain 2.215M).
b) Trade Cedrick Wilson. This is, I think, the second most likely possibility. (It's a cap savings of 7M if we do this... (less Cracraft's 940k) but the team seems to like him more than I do).
c) Trade Ogbah. I think this one is VERY unlikely... coming off of an injury marred season, I suspect he'd be hard to move, and teams would want us to pay part of his contract. Never say never though. This is we could trade him, would net us (up to) 15M on the cap (less Cracraft's 940K).
d) Restructure Wilkins. This one comes down to the will to keep him. If we want him; I am pretty certain he'll sign. Nailing down how much that we'd save is harder though... because there is 0% chance of knowing what he'd get when he'd sign. I'll make an educated guess. His salary for 2023 would go from 10.7M to 1M, so 9.7M savings to start, but now you have to add in the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus. Let's assume that he gets Daron Payne's contract. Payne's pro-rate is 5.6M a year... so resigning Wilkins is NOT going to save all that much.... maybe 4.1M. Yes, I know he could sign for less... and some will argue that he should, but I won't get into that here. let's just call it a 5M cap savings and be done here.

There really isn't much money available before June 1st... and as I think I've shown, the best cap relief in 2023 is in moving Cedrick Wilson...

Boys... I think we're done except for depth signings...

and yes I know, I know... Derrick Henry... his cap cost this year would be 10.5M. ...and yes, if we extended him, we could reduce that... but he's due 10.5 this year and he isn't going to play for less. If we resigned him to one of those 3-year contracts with a 1M salary and a 15M bonus, he'd still cost around 6M this year (and then 15 and 15 the next two years).

I would not be surprised to see Miami make at least one more shocking move. Hill wanted Miami, Ramsey wanted Miami and who else is quietly out there wanting Miami too. It will not go down until after June 1, but I have a feeling there will be at least one more WOW moment for Dolphin Nation....Not involving a QB!

Alright alright alright, Feverdream.

This list reinforces reinforces the progress made in upgrading the roster. More work remains—e.g. LG, RT, TE, DT depth—but this looks promising.
Yep... we are better than we were last year. The only players of note that we've lost are Gesicki, (clearly did not work within our offense), Rowe (replaced with Elliot), Jones (Ramsey) and probably Ingram (Chubb and Reed).

This is a better team than last year, and this is before the draft even happens. I really like what we've done here.

My target list for the draft is DE (Ogbah), RB (receiving back and/or big back), LB (eventual Baker replacement), another TE, one Offensive Lineman, and DT depth. I know we only have 4 picks, but this is not a long list.

I would not be surprised to see Miami make at least one more shocking move. Hill wanted Miami, Ramsey wanted Miami and who else is quietly out there wanting Miami too. It will not go down until after June 1, but I have a feeling there will be at least one more WOW moment for Dolphin Nation....Not involving a QB!
Agreed... without an accompanying move of Wilson, there really isn't any money until June 1st.

That said... the Jones money comes due then and something could happen after the draft.

I agree. Next the draft and them it is a long wait until June 1st when we cut Byron and others and then let the evaluations begin. I feel a lot better with the staff we have now that they will make the right decisions and not screw this up like the recent past.

Agreed... without an accompanying move of Wilson, there really isn't any money until June 1st.

That said... the Jones money comes due then and something could happen after the draft.
Unless there are issues with Ezukanma of which we are unaware, I have to think with the signing of Berrios, Ced Wilson will be shopped. I’d not expect better than a 5th rounder in return. BTW, great job with your original posting!

I would keep Cedrick Wilson. I think he could/should rebound and his contract isn't that bad. Miami would be counting on EZ and/or Sanders and maybe a draft pick contributing more.

Wilson and Gesicki got caught in the Hill and Waddle success. Not sure how to look at that. Can't blame McDaniel for getting the ball to his playmakers, but Miami will have to spread it around more.

OK pretty good list there Fever! Looks like a pretty darn good lineup at such an early stage in the ballgame. I’d trot that baby out on day one no problemo!

Now, couple changes… I could agree a lot more with the title of this post if the date was changed from June 1st to April 27th - cuz I’m certain there’s gonna be some more fireworks around then. 🧨 ( I feel like Cedric Wilson and Derrick Henry are inextriably linked…) The draft is going to be way more than we think it is!

Also, because words matter… We don’t got no freaking hoarders on this team! We do however, have one of THE best CB’s in recent NFL history and da playa goes by da name a X. Xavien Howard. Please do make that change for the love of beJesus. .😵

Now a deeper dive… I think one needs to list the LB’s in terms of 4 positions… More reflective of the Fang’s scheme and that will shed light🔦on 1 or 2 possible moves left…either before or during the draft, to properly man the LB position. Also, in doing that, you will be forced to assign the names to those LB’ers a little more correctly IMHO.

Also I kind of feel that CB1 is X in the Fang’s D. I have a feeling he’s gonna be on the WR1 and Ramsey is gonna be a hybrid CB2 with some S mixed in. Remember… The Fang is gonna be unleashing a new, improved, 2023 version of his scheme. There’s no way that X can do double duty at S - but Ramsey can. Look forward to a D that has never been seen in the NFL before…would love if CMD might chime in on this concept. This is going to be “Death by Suffocation” for the opposing O.

Lastly, my gut tells me that we will hire a RT before the draft. Could be an Eric Fisher as a solid plan B for the AJ experiment or maybe a bigger name and let AJ drop to swing tackle. Just a hunch.

One things for certain… We’re pretty loaded - The arrow is pointing way up and for these very reasons I think Chris Grier will make a couple more moves. 🙌 The U

Last edited:
OK pretty good list there Fever! Looks like a pretty darn good lineup at such an early stage in the ballgame. I’d trot that baby out on day one no problemo!

Now, couple changes… I could agree a lot more with the title of this post if the date was changed from June 1st to April 27th - cuz I’m certain there’s gonna be some more fireworks around then. 🧨 ( I feel like Cedric Wilson and Derrick Henry are inextriably linked…) The draft is going to be way more than we think it is!

Also, because words matter… We don’t got no freaking hoarders on this team! We do however, have one of THE best CB’s in recent NFL history and da playa goes by da name a X. Xavien Howard. Please do make that change for the love of beJesus. .😵
FYI

Oh good, it’s on Twitter! Gold. 👑 Now I’m even more optimistic! That sure was a vote of confidence there from Ran! 😂 Hahahaha “ We’re in a good place”. Imagine Chris Grier sayin that bout Tua a few weeks ago…Great twit ya got dare! 🎃
😝

Last edited:
Hey I got a really great way to look at the Cedrick Wilson versus Derrick Henry conundrum…Ced Wilson’s got 2 years left at 7.75 million per year… What if we could get Derrick Henry in year 1 at 6 mil and let’s say 10 mil with incentives in year 2 with an opt out in year three?

Mechanism of the deal is… We trade Ced Wilson for a 5th (Dallas maybe) and then get Henry for our 2nd or 3rd and Tuxedo pays 4 mil of 2023 salary. We come out basically even for money and essentially get Derrick Henry for a swap of a 3rd for a 5th. ( If it takes the 2nd we also ask for a sixth or seventh in return from Tennessee)

Now the big question… If you could do it, would you?

Clue - just answer the question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom