I wonder how coaches respond to the roster | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I wonder how coaches respond to the roster

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I always read about pre-determined opinions of players on message boards. I am very curious about how coaches view the roster in general. Particularily things like undrafted rookies, unheralded free agents, and how to give practice time to guys they list way down the depth chart. If I am Josh Davis, or Haw, the corner from Rutgers, what real chance do I get to show my thing? I consistently hear about Sage not getting enough repetitions to really develop. I am just curious about what real odds any unheralded player has to make a roster. Do coaches develop biases that would hinder a guys chances? I believe they do (and maybe in an unfair manner). If you guys have insight or answers please provide them.

Lee2000

Lee2000 said:
I always read about pre-determined opinions of players on message boards. I am very curious about how coaches view the roster in general. Particularily things like undrafted rookies, unheralded free agents, and how to give practice time to guys they list way down the depth chart. If I am Josh Davis, or Haw, the corner from Rutgers, what real chance do I get to show my thing? I consistently hear about Sage not getting enough repetitions to really develop. I am just curious about what real odds any unheralded player has to make a roster. Do coaches develop biases that would hinder a guys chances? I believe they do (and maybe in an unfair manner). If you guys have insight or answers please provide them.

Lee2000

I think NFL coaches look at rosters from a economic stance first. Then starting lineups on both sides of the ball, then who needs to go for economic purposes, then FA's to fill voids, then draftees for future and immediate needs, then other FA's trying to find a gem...which means, in practice, it's the main characters that will get the most reps, then 2nd unit, everyone else will have to do something special to get much notice..If they didn't do it in mini camps and ota's, then their not going to see much action in TC. The mini camps and OTA's was the chance for undrafted FA's and other FA's to show something to make a coach want to see him when the pads come on.

Back
Top Bottom