I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans.

Fullerboy

Impact Rookie
Reaction score
We have about a month left before the draft starts and I am starting to get pumped up, next to training camp is the NFL draft my favorite offseason event. I must admit that I value those guys opinion more than any publication that I have read, so fellas please give us little guys your best evaluation of of the draft in a Dolfins point of view. I will just sit back and listen now.

We have about a month left before the draft starts and I am starting to get pumped up, next to training camp is the NFL draft my favorite offseason event. I must admit that I value those guys opinion more than any publication that I have read, so fellas please give us little guys your best evaluation of of the draft in a Dolfins point of view. I will just sit back and listen now.

I second that, always good to hear from them.

We don't need comments about VIP. That is not what this thread is about. Off topic comments have been deleted. Please play nice.

Yowsa, makes me wonder what was deleted. Anywho, we're getting closer to zero hour so I've been trying to come out into the Draft forum a bit more often, but most of our stuff is still in VIP.

Still, if you like, we can sort of turn this into a Q&A thread, ask your questions and I guarantee I'll give you some long-winded answers. I've got plenty of hot air to spare nowadays. Will see if Simon will come out as well.

1. Not to turn this thread into a Beck vs. Ryan argument, but I'm interested how Beck the prospect can be compared to Ryan the prospect. How do they stack up?

2. How much of a drop-off in talent is there from Jake Long to Sam Baker?

3. Who are gonna be our MLBs next year? Crowder and a rookie? That scares me!

Ryan v. Beck? I'd much rather hear Ryan v. Brohm. I can't find much of a definable reason that Brohm has fallen into round 2 territory with some people. It's all really vague speculation as far as I can see, though Brohm is certainly better than what he's being ranked at.

With pro days starting and draft stocks moving up and down, who can we realistically start looking at with our 2 picks in the second round?

Ryan v. Beck? I'd much rather hear Ryan v. Brohm. I can't find much of a definable reason that Brohm has fallen into round 2 territory with some people. It's all really vague speculation as far as I can see, though Brohm is certainly better than what he's being ranked at.

I agree. From what I've been hearing is some people believe Brohm is a system guy and his arm lacks strenght. I don't buy it. That kid can sling the ball. I've seen him throw the ball on a frozen rope between two defenders and right into his recievers chest. Brohm is way under-rated. I'd be happy if Miami picked him.:up:

I think the VIP comment I saw was actually pretty complimentary of VIP.

Hey ho......I'll happily play wingman to Chris.

1. Not to turn this thread into a Beck vs. Ryan argument, but I'm interested how Beck the prospect can be compared to Ryan the prospect. How do they stack up?

2. How much of a drop-off in talent is there from Jake Long to Sam Baker?

3. Who are gonna be our MLBs next year? Crowder and a rookie? That scares me!

1. I personally don't believe that Matt Ryan is any better than John Beck. But the responses to that statement will infuriate many, so I won't bother to get into much detail.

2. It depends what you see in Jake Long. For me, the question is, can he play LT to the level of a $30 million guaranteed player? He has tremendous strength, is brilliant going forwards, run blocks extremely well, but I have questions as to how well he handles some situations in pass protection with regards his footwork, with regards him getting crossed up, with regards him keepinghis hands inside his frame and not overextending and with his kickslide. It's hard to knock his record, but is he worthy of the #1 overall pick and all that comes with it? That will be the question that Ireland and Sparano and Maser will have to answer. There is a drop off to Baker, but it's not a great one. You have the top line prospects; Otah, Clady, Long, Williams. You have a notch down to guys like Collins, Baker, etc. Duane Brown, Carl Nicks.....all these guys are very solid prospects. Where you teams envisage Branden Albert?

3. There's some talent at MLB in the draft. Reggie Torbor is pencilled in there as well and Torbor can play. He is a very effective blitzer - remember he was a rush end at Auburn - and that inside rush will be critical. We have been keeping close tabs on a number of MLB prospects, so I expect a guy to come in and push for extended PT.

Ck and Boomer,

No doubt the Dolphins will address the O-line and the defense in this draft. I have read a lot of different things about what the Dolphins do with that pick will depend on who they think is available at the 32nd spot. Any validity to that? Also if we draft a QB...who are the most likely candidates?...and why? One more...;) list in order the top 3 needs of the Fins! Thanks!

1. If Beck were in this draft, he would not carry as high a grade as Matt Ryan. I know there aren't too many people that like to hear that, but it's true. In the end, Matt Ryan is taller and younger. They both have functionally the same arm and around the same accuracy. They're both capable of throwing fast balls but their accuracy tends to come down when they're focusing on putting the mustard on their passes. The turnover issue for Matt Ryan has been vastly overblown. People act like interceptions per game is more important than interceptions per pass. It isn't. When you account for the sheer volume of passes he threw in 2007, his interception percentage is like a 2.9% or something like that. A little high, to be sure, but not outrageous. Anything below 4% is pro caliber. Tony Romo in college was in the high 3's I believe. He turned out ok. You can rein in a guy that has a knack for taking chances successfully but also takes a few too many (Favre). You usually can't teach a guy that is ultra-safe to take more chances and become a more effective quarterback (ahem, Harrington). If anything bothers me about Matt Ryan, it is more how his yards per completion and yards per attempt have been very ranged with his accuracy percentage. I'd have maybe liked to see him in 2007 take a step up both in accuracy AND in yards per completion, rather than ranging between sacrificing one in favor of the other. The thing with Matt Ryan is...his draft stock has gone too high. Is a taller, younger John Beck worth the #1 overall? I don't think so. Not in my book. It's worth more than the #40 overall that Beck went at, but not as high as #1 overall. Also, people way too conveniently disregard height and size in a QB around here...usually in support of Beck. It is important and it definitely has its place in the valuation of a quarterback. Height can make things a lot easier for a QB. For every 6'2" quarterback people bring up that has been successful despite his height (such as Favre), there is probably a 6'5" or 6'6" quarterback that would probably not have been successful had it not been for his height (such as Derek Anderson). In Beck's case, I'm mostly concerned about ball security.

2. I would say from Jake Long to Sam Baker is a significant drop. I use to be a lot more down on Jake Long than I am now. The bottom line is he's got the body, he's got the tools, the strength in spades, the quick feet and the resume and I may have just been overthinking this one. Some people overthought Tony Ugoh and Joe Thomas and paid for it (myself included). Sam Baker doesn't have Jake Long in any of those areas. He doesn't have as quick feet, doesn't have nearly as good a body, doesn't have the same resume, or the same strength...nor the balance in his game. One thing I am starting to think in the wake of the D'Brickashaw Ferguson disaster is that if a guy is a one-dimensional player in college, he doesn't even have much of a chance of being a one-dimensional player in the pros. It's something I have to re-evaluate. Sort of like how they say there are no shut-down corners in the NFL anymore, there may be no shut-down pass protectors at left tackle in the NFL anymore. The old guard names like Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden and Tony Boselli...well, Boselli's been out of football for years, Ogden has told the Ravens to assume he's retiring, Pace went through a significant injury and both he and Jones are getting older now...it's very possible that the premium LTs in the NFL are undergoing a change. They look more like Joe Thomas than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The "island" left tackle nowadays might be more of a myth, with the complex blitz packages defenses are sending on a regular basis nowadays. Anyway, where I'm going with all of this is...I thought Baker was a bit one-dimensional in college...and that makes me more uncomfortable about his pro prospects right now, than it would have a year ago.

3. Right now our ILBs are scheduled to be Channing Crowder and Reggie Torbor...and yes, that is a bit scary. But in this Parcells-style jumbo 3-4, the ILBs are taking on 300+ pound bodies on a regular basis and mixing it up. I think there's a little less opportunity for the ILBs to really shine anyway. The OLBs have to be stellar...and that's why they tossed big money at Calvin Pace, and will probably draft Chris Long.

Back
Top Bottom