I Would Not Draft Smith In The 1st Rd. And Here Is Why | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Would Not Draft Smith In The 1st Rd. And Here Is Why

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Roquan Smith is a highly gifted LB. If he gets with the right scheme, he will be a great player. But if he is drafted by the Miami Dolphins, more than likely he will be a bust. Smith has great instincts, he has great range and he knows how to tackle. He has everything you would want in a LB except for one glaring weakness. Roquan Smith can not handle the blockers he will see in the NFL. He can not stack and shed. For being as physically gifted as he is, he lacks the length or strength to deal with blockers. He is going to have to go to a team that will allow the DL to keep him clean. Because if you keep him clean he is like a heat seeking missile that can diagnose and track down the ball carrier.

Unfortunately, we have Matt Burke as our DC and the flawed scheme that he runs will not optimize a player like Smith. Remember when we had Bowens and Gardner. They, being the unselfish players they were, would take on the blockers and allow Thomas to flow and fill. There are teams in the NFL where Roquan would flourish, but that ain't us. So until we change our scheme(which I do not see happening), Smith would be last guy I would want to take in the 1st rd.

With two above average SS and hints of seeing them play closer to the line, I as well am not on board with this pick. If we added a FS i truely believe we could get the same from a Roquan Smith from both our high caliber safeties

Roquan Smith is a highly gifted LB. If he gets with the right scheme, he will be a great player. But if he is drafted by the Miami Dolphins, more than likely he will be a bust. Smith has great instincts, he has great range and he knows how to tackle. He has everything you would want in a LB except for one glaring weakness. Roquan Smith can not handle the blockers he will see in the NFL. He can not stack and shed. For being as physically gifted as he is, he lacks the length or strength to deal with blockers. He is going to have to go to a team that will allow the DL to keep him clean. Because if you keep him clean he is like a heat seeking missile that can diagnose and track down the ball carrier.

Unfortunately, we have Matt Burke as our DC and the flawed scheme that he runs will not optimize a player like Smith. Remember when we had Bowens and Gardner. They, being the unselfish players they were, would take on the blockers and allow Thomas to flow and fill. There are teams in the NFL where Roquan would flourish, but that ain't us. So until we change our scheme(which I do not see happening), Smith would be last guy I would want to take in the 1st rd.

Not equating Smith to someone that should be in Canton, but weren't the same things said about Zach when he was draft eligible?

Not equating Smith to someone that should be in Canton, but weren't the same things said about Zach when he was draft eligible?
The Dolphins ran a scheme that kept Zach clean. That is not going to happen as long as Burke is here.

Last edited:
Prone to agree, Edmunds is the LB’er for us if we take one at 11. Would almost rather have LVE than Smith at 11. Still 11 is rich for any OLB.

Dark horse could be OT, which would save 9 million immediately. That should get a quality LB, DT, or FS on the open market.....assuming any are left.

Been saying for a long time best value is CB or DT at 11 in this draft.

Smith is excellent at beating blockers to the spot. He is a superb athlete with good instincts. Taking on blockers was never an issue at Georgia. People are trying hard to find a weakness

Prone to agree, Edmunds is the LB’er for us if we take one at 11. Would almost rather have LVE than Smith at 11. Still 11 is rich for any OLB.

Dark horse could be OT, which would save 9 million immediately. That should get a quality LB, DT, or FS on the open market.....assuming any are left.

Or quarterback (unlikely one makes it to 11) or Marcus Davenport even though defensive end isn't a pressing need.

Or quarterback (unlikely one makes it to 11) or Marcus Davenport even though defensive end isn't a pressing need.
If we took Davenport, I could easily honeymoon Harris until his contract yr.

Smith is excellent at beating blockers to the spot. He is a superb athlete with good instincts. Taking on blockers was never an issue at Georgia. People are trying hard to find a weakness
It is not going to be as easy in the Pros. He is going to have to take on blockers and(IMO) he can not win that match up. Teams are going to run right at him and in our scheme he is going to be ineffective.

Why? So we can complain about how much we're paying them?

Edmunds may just prove out to be a great pick at #11. I really don't see much chance of him being there. One of the name blue chippers will be there. It's so hard to predict who will drop but if we sit tight and play smart poker something good will fall right in our laps, kind of like Tunsil last year.

When I look at defensive players I try to answer two question: will an offense work him, and will he work the offense.

I can see an offense working Smith, and that’s not good.
I dont see an offense working Derwin, Vea, and I think those two will work the opposing offenses.
I think Harold Landry is just as good.
Denzel Ward is close, height is an issue in redzone, so he’s great between the 20’s..
Edmunds is not as bad as Roquan, but still I dont see him working the offense and I think he can be neutralized.
I think Evans is better than the other two. I think offense cannot work him and he will work them.
As far as Davenport, he is raw and inconsistent.

So to me, it’s Derwin, Vea, Landry, Evans, and potentially Ward if they can overlook the height, or Oliver as an all around CB.
It comes down to whether they want to improve front or back 7. Id go with front 7.

Last edited:

The only LVE has on Roquan is size. For such a big linebacker, LVE does a relatively poor job at getting off blocks.

If you don't want Miami to draft Roquan, then I don't want to hear you bitch about linebackers not being able to cover anyone EVER.

Back
Top Bottom