I Would Not Draft Smith In The 1st Rd. And Here Is Why | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Would Not Draft Smith In The 1st Rd. And Here Is Why

Edmunds may just prove out to be a great pick at #11. I really don't see much chance of him being there. One of the name blue chippers will be there. It's so hard to predict who will drop but if we sit tight and play smart poker something good will fall right in our laps, kind of like Tunsil last year.

Except he has the play diagnosing skills of a potato.

Roquan Smith is a highly gifted LB. If he gets with the right scheme, he will be a great player. But if he is drafted by the Miami Dolphins, more than likely he will be a bust. Smith has great instincts, he has great range and he knows how to tackle. He has everything you would want in a LB except for one glaring weakness. Roquan Smith can not handle the blockers he will see in the NFL. He can not stack and shed. For being as physically gifted as he is, he lacks the length or strength to deal with blockers. He is going to have to go to a team that will allow the DL to keep him clean. Because if you keep him clean he is like a heat seeking missile that can diagnose and track down the ball carrier.

Unfortunately, we have Matt Burke as our DC and the flawed scheme that he runs will not optimize a player like Smith. Remember when we had Bowens and Gardner. They, being the unselfish players they were, would take on the blockers and allow Thomas to flow and fill. There are teams in the NFL where Roquan would flourish, but that ain't us. So until we change our scheme(which I do not see happening), Smith would be last guy I would want to take in the 1st rd.

I feel like you're just assuming things about Burke's scheme. Can you provide examples of what the scheme does that wouldn't fit Roquan, or should we just take your word for it?

Smith isn't being projected in the top half of the draft because of his thumping ability. He's drafted that way because in the new-age NFL, speed and coverage ability is valuable.

Smith is ELITE at diagnosing plays, reacting to plays, tackling, and coverage. So because he doesn't do one thing well he's automatically not fit for pick 11?

Sorry he's not Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly. Those guys only come around once every few years. Doesn't mean Smith won't be an excellent player in the NFL.

I like his skill set, but I do not like the fact that he is going to find it difficult to deal with blockers in the NFL. Your right in thinking that Burke should know this if they draft him and make adjustments accordingly. But I have watched this team for too long to think this will be the case. A good DC would keep him clean and allow his God-given talent to flourish, but things like that haven't happened for the Dolphins in a very long tome. I would love to draft and utilize him the correct way because I think he might be a trans formative player. But over the years I have become(it is sad to say) a cup half empty rather than half full.

Let's just hope Minkah is there so we don't have to worry about these questions.

My preference at 11 would be:

Minkah
Roquan
James
Edmunds

In that order.

No to an elite player like Smith, but advocate for Josey "the slug" Jewell in round 3...

SMaller then Smith, slower than some DTs, but yeah....

No to an elite player like Smith, but advocate for Josey "the slug" Jewell in round 3...

SMaller then Smith, slower than some DTs, but yeah....
Did I ever say that he wasn't an elite player. Like most players, you put him in the wrong system he will find it hard to be successful. Ours ain't the right system.

Did I ever say that he wasn't an elite player. Like most players, you put him in the wrong system he will find it hard to be successful. Ours ain't the right system.
How is our system not right? You slap him at WLB and let him run.

What is our system?

A wide 9 were we expose our LBs.. The DEs are lined up so wide that it allows the interior linemen to easily get to the second level to attack defenders i.e. LBs.

DTs are still in a 1 and a 3 and typically it is only one DE that lines up that wide (which is really just a yard outside the where a DE typically lines up).

In general

DolphinsRunD1Edit.jpg

DTs are still in a 1 and a 3 and typically it is only one DE that lines up that wide (which is really just a yard outside the where a DE typically lines up).

In general

DolphinsRunD1Edit.jpg

The wide 9 is more effective when you have the lead in the game. But last time I looked we are behind the chains(behind in points) way more than having the lead. So if your not forcing the other team to throw, the defense is going to get chewed up on the ground. Even when we are in passing situations, our pass rush more times than not is ineffective. Another thing teams do to this defense since the DE is so far outside and turned toward the QB, they use thier WRs as blockers. Since the DE is focused at what is going on inside and not at what is going on on the outside the two WRs can come in to a bunch formation and down block on the DE,. You can bring in more blockers, i.e.an extra TE, to stretch out the defense even more and open up even more running lanes.

Back
Top Bottom