I’d legit be disappointed if the 1st round picks... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I’d legit be disappointed if the 1st round picks...

I know Smith had a stellar season but that’s in large part to an overall offense that had too many weapons. He’s a fast, but small guy. Don’t forget Chase set records in 2019 and is a physical WR.

So Devonta Smith had a stellar season because of an offense that had too many weapons, but somehow the same didn't apply to Ja'Marr Chase in 2019 with Burrow, Jefferson, CEH, Moss and Marshall????

You're being very hypocritical in citing that reasoning.

Not only that, you are completely ignoring the fact that Jaylen Waddle missed 8 games this season and Smith was clearly the #1 pass threat focus for opposing defenses. Yet he still blew up.

Furthermore, Smith is not small. He's slim. There's a difference. Jakeem Grant is small. Smith is not Jakeem Grant. He's 6-1 and looks like he has pretty nice wingspan.

Marvin Harrison was slim. So is Desean Jackson, TY Hilton, Antonio Brown, and many, many others. Didn't matter.

Last edited:
I am not worried about Smith's frame as much as I was before.

He seems to be able to beat press coverage very well and NFL WR's just don't take the beating they used to.

I still have Chase ahead of him but I would be very happy with either, just please not at #3.

The only bummer will be if we do not come out of this draft with 2 of the three: Najee, Javonte Williams, Jermar Jefferson.

I know we all would like to trade down, but it's not guaranteed. The best situation would be if Jets picked Sewell, then QB hungry teams would want our pick. Of course if Jets go with a QB we still could be targeted but having both options at 3 gives it more value.

I am not worried about Smith's frame as much as I was before.

He seems to be able to beat press coverage very well and NFL WR's just don't take the beating they used to.

I still have Chase ahead of him but I would be very happy with either, just please not at #3.
I agree. Those legs just look very strange. I was downgrading him somewhat last season but not anymore. Either Chase or Smith would be fine even if I prefer Chase. IMO, Chase can glide through the NFL but it's been somewhat easy for him and he'll have to raise his intensity level 5-10% as the ball arrives. He kind of showed off in that regard in college and tried to make it look like he's toying with the defensive back. Actually he was. Nonchalant snatch and jog into the end zone. The NFL guys are going to try to rough him up in that scenario. Smith is more accustomed to that right now.

I don't know how to evaluate where those guys go. Wide receivers seem to drop most years but once in a while there's a season the top handful are coveted and pushed early. If you trade down you have to be willing to be wrong.

There just are not that many Elite prospects in this Draft.

Lawrence, Sewell, Parsons, Pitts, Surtain, and maybe Wyatt Davis(not saying he will go Top 10 but he probably shouldA) look like guys who would be very high picks in any year so two terrific WR's like Smith and Chase look like they will go a little higher than usual with both of them probably in the Top 10 which is pretty unusual.

Even with my reticence to take a WR that high I can't argue with it from a BPA standpoint, They are clearly Top 10 prospects in this Draft.

Toss in Fields and Wilson and that is most of your Top 10 probably.

I didn’t say Smith was bad, I said I think Chase will be better. Making a point that Smith produced with Waddle out is counterproductive to the rest of your argument. They relied on him at the WR slot (#1) after that and he benefitted. Smith is really good, and smart. If that were the pick I wouldn’t be upset but again, I just think Chase seems to be more solid in terms of for sure production. He’ll look at the #2 to chase Jefferson.

Dolphins have zero run game and zero big play WR for a future franchise QB that was drafted last year.
It doesn’t matter who you pick if you cannot run or pass the ball, you’re not going to be in the playoffs

I'm pretty torn between Sewell and Smith at #3, but I do not want any part of Chase at 3. Chase is not a natural separator, he wasn't asked to run great routes in his one successful season, and I'm afraid that he's on the slow side.
In Smith v Chase, Smith has better hands, he's a much better route runner, he separates with ease, he's faster and he's more elusive in the open field... Better at YAC.
Chase is better at catching 50/50 balls, but big deal, we already have Parker and Gesicki for those... Plus you just can't replicate or teach that chemistry Tua has with Smith. If we take Chase over Smith, I'll be pissed.

If Tua is believed to be the answer at QB by management, does it make more sense to get Smith, a receiver he is familiar with, rather than Chase? Would that help the learning curve?

There just are not that many Elite prospects in this Draft.

Lawrence, Sewell, Parsons, Pitts, Surtain, and maybe Wyatt Davis(not saying he will go Top 10 but he probably shouldA) look like guys who would be very high picks in any year so two terrific WR's like Smith and Chase look like they will go a little higher than usual with both of them probably in the Top 10 which is pretty unusual.

Even with my reticence to take a WR that high I can't argue with it from a BPA standpoint, They are clearly Top 10 prospects in this Draft.

Toss in Fields and Wilson and that is most of your Top 10 probably.
The top QB prospect since Luck, the best pair of WRs since 2011's draft with Julio Jones and AJ Green, the best OT prospect since Jake Long and the son of an elite NFL corner who demonstrates similar athletic ability. And that's not many!?

Look at the 2012 draft if you want to see a draft with very few elite prospects

I wouldn’t hate a Smith pick, by any means. He couldn’t be stopped and made supposed all world CB Wade look (how he actually is) like a lazy beneficiary of easier competition. (I am an Iowa fan, thereby an observer of the B1G).
That being said, he was injured last night which is my biggest concern with him, and his body size, in a physical collision. Freak injury so I’m not ready to profess “injury prone” but in the NFL those hits are far more common than he’s accustomed to in the NCAA.

Multiple studies have looked at size and it's correlation to injury in the NFL and none have found that smaller players get injured more often. A few have found that smaller players actually get injured less (presumably b/c they naturally or purposefully avoid contact more often). People who continue to claim that Smith or any player will be more injury prone based solely on size seem incapable of accepting facts and simply want to believe what they want to believe.

Back
Top Bottom