Idea: Give Michael Vick a tryout (He's currently an unsigned free agent) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Idea: Give Michael Vick a tryout (He's currently an unsigned free agent)

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
Some fin fans have been grumbling about Matt Moore being expensive, and playing poorly.

We have a system built around Ryan Tannehill. He's a fast runner who throws low trajectory laser beams. Our current system is ideal for Tannehill: a spread option / read option, with catch radius receivers (we replaced deep bucket receivers Wallace & Clay, with catch radius receivers Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker, Jordan Cameron). Matt Moore is a weak runner, and his strength was high arcing deep balls.

The problem is that all our backup QBs are slow runners, which is less than ideal for a spread option / read option offense. Matt Moore, Mcleod Bethel Thompson, and Josh Freeman all ran the 40 in about 4.9 - 5.0 seconds. Tannehill ran a 4.58, and Vick ran a 4.33 (but is now probably closer to Tannehill's speed, due to age).

- In Terms of Running in a spread option / read option: Tannehill & Vick are much better read option running threats than sluggish guys like Matt Moore, Mcleod Bethel Thompson, and Josh Freeman.

- In Terms of Passing in a Chip Kelly-style spread option: Vick did ok passing on Chip Kelly's Eagles (averaging around 87 passer rating over 4 years), and then his passer rating collapsed to 68.3 while on the NY Jets. But that might just be the system. For example, Mark Sanchez was a terrible passer on the NY Jets (averaging around 70 passer rating over 4 years), but then his passer rating went to 88.4 when he moved to Chip Kelly's Eagles.

So it's certainly possible that Vick & Sanchez are 87-88 passer rating QBs in Chip Kelly's Eagles system (which is close to what Bill Lazor runs), and 68-70 passer rating QBs in NY Jets system.

In any case, Michael Vick is currently an unsigned free agent. He could be signed for cheap, and might be a better fit for our offense than what we have. Might be worth a tryout.

Hell no, if you want a turnover machine just play freeman

Fair play on putting in plenty of reasons and effort though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would rather bring Ronnie Brown back as our backup QB to run the wildcat.

Matt Moore is fine. He was exactly the same last preseason and in game #3 vs Dallas (the dress rehearsal) he outplayed Tanny even according to Hoops. My point is not that Moore should be the starter or is better than Tanny because he shouldn't be and isn't. I'm not trying to debate Matt Moore vs Ryan Tannehill because I realize there is no debate, Tanny is the man. All I'm trying to say is don't gauge Moore off what he's doing playing with backups going against backups. He was much better in the one game that mattered and when he actually got into games.

With that being said we are likely done if Tannehill goes down so I understand the argument against carrying an expensive backup but Matt Moore is fine.

leroy.jpg This guy right here is Leroy Brown, the Baddest Dolphin Dog in Town. He says "Hell no!" and poops on your idea.

Not sure Vick would make the cut. I love Vick. He is an exciting player. The time for this was when they signed Freeman instead of Vick. Vick certainly wouldve been a better more exciting addition.

He probably would have better choice than Freeman, talent wise, but I don't want that vile, piece of ****, human being on my team.

I like the OP's points, I would take chance. I can can forgive about the dog thing, at least he knows what he did was wrong unlike Adrian Peterson.

I wanted them to Draft Blake Sims from Bama. He plays in Canada now. I hope they bring him to groom him.

He doesn't deserve to wear a dolphins uniform ever. Some really remarkable ideas being thrown around the forum today...

i like Vick, cause if Thill goes down were ****ed, but for a few series, maybe a game I'd take Vick or someone like him

Back
Top Bottom