Ideal Offseason: Free agency vs Draft WRs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal Offseason: Free agency vs Draft WRs

I'm so sick of the Watson Trade BS that I actually watched his highlights from last year. I don't get it. Looks like a ton of empty yardage and wide open garbage time TD's.

I'm on the Tua train and when you tell me Watson is worth 3 firsts and Tua, well I think they got it backwards. In fact, I hope the Jets cripple their team while striving for epic losses.

Enough already...

Ideally, we solidify our running game.

Pick up one second tier WR in free agency.

Double up on two receivers in the draft.

I think Reason from Phinside had a great idea.

Linsley, Joe Thuney and Aaron Jones in free agency. Sewell, trade up for Waddle and then Rondale in the draft.

That would be outstanding if we achieved that.

I think there is 2 Ideal combos, one would be Curtis Samuel and Ja’marr Chase. Their skill sets contrast nicely and both offer different things. Combine those 2 with Parker and it’s a nice trio. The second and my personal preference would be to add Allen Robinson and Jaylen Waddle (this would be most expensive and take the most resources). But that would show a team that’s ready to surround their QB with every opportunity to succeed.

Personally, I would like to see the Dolphins bring in a vet FA like Marvin Jones, who can work most of the field and be a locker room mentor. Then Miami can use their Senior Bowl insight and draft 2 or 3 high-ceiling rookies on day 2-3. Not the hype guys. I like Marshall, Eskridge, Elijah Moore, Frank Darby... there are a lot of guys. Exploit the depth of this WR class and the Senior Bowl scouting. The team can build its WR corps for the long term with a full training camp and add and subtract pieces after next year.

Meanwhile....

That leaves the team their top draft capital and some salary cap to reinforce the OLine and the Front 7. I'm an inside out GM and those areas are not finished yet.
I'd also try to sign Aaron Jones to solidify the offense.

Boring, I know, but Dynasties take time!

RW

:P89

I'm so sick of the Watson Trade BS that I actually watched his highlights from last year. I don't get it. Looks like a ton of empty yardage and wide open garbage time TD's.

I'm on the Tua train and when you tell me Watson is worth 3 firsts and Tua, well I think they got it backwards. In fact, I hope the Jets cripple their team while striving for epic losses.

Enough already...

One would think because Watson spent plenty of time playing from behind that he’d be chucking the ball like crazy but he was only 10th in attempts...and he still led the league in passing yards with the 4th lowest interception percentage and was one of only 3 QBs to finish with a 70% completion percentage. Matt Ryan was in a similar situation, he went 4-12 too and he finished 21st in passer rating and 16th in yards per attempt. Watson was 2nd and 1st. You sound ridiculous. Watson is a top 5 QB, arguably top 3. In fact if you were starting a franchise from scratch he would be the 2nd pick behind only Mahomes.

Last edited:
With Free Agency only 2 weeks away. I have seen a lot of great threads on indivual players when it comes to the top tier talents at WR, but was curious what some of you deeper minded fans think in an ideal off season in a consensus area of need.

Surface area thoughts are obviously, Big in free agency and depth in the draft, vice versa, or double dipping (Just going big FA and Top Pick) . I'll list the top prospects for FA here to bring them into view. What's are some of your thoughts on value in what the Dolphins need most? Just for some Input I like Higgins as he lacks measurable but gets open, David Moore plays hard but over shadowed in a decent core of receivers in lockett and Metcalf, and Curtis Samuel seems to be a site favorite. I'd say negative on any of the elder players, I don't see Chris or Flores targeting them. In the Draft I really like Bateman and Waddle, Elijah Moore in the 4th would be a steal imo with speed and talent that would help in the slot.

Chris Godwin
Allen Robinson
Kenny Golladay
Will Fuller
Juju
Corey Davis
Antonio Brown
TY Hilton
Curtis Samuel
Marvin Jones
Nelson Agholar
Sammy Watkins
David Moore
AJ green
Larry Fitzgerald
Rashaad Higgins
Breshad Perriman

Draft
Jamarr Chase (LSU)
Devonye Smith (AL)
Jaylen Waddle (AL)
Kedarius Toney (Florida)
Terrance Marshall (LSU)
Tutu Atwell (Louisville)
Rashad Bateman (Minnisota)
Rondale Moore (Purdue)
Marquez Stevenson (Houston)
Sage Sarratt (Wake Forest)
Elijah Moore (Ole Miss)
Tamorrian Terry (FSU)
Jhaman Ausan (T A&M)

I will tell you a few tales my friend. Teams that spend big in free agency normally don't translate well into winning. If that were to be the case then the Redskins would have had 20 superbowls by now. They have been one of the
biggest free agency spenders in the last decades, and have won nothing to prove for it. Winniest teams usually draft great players. They also happen to use the 2nd round to their advantage in the draft. One thing about throwing money at players is that they usually tend to regress for some reason. Byron Jones with us hasn't really given us a reason to make us believe he deserved that contract at this moment. I am hoping that Noah ends up being a worthy corner in this league, as any of the draft picks from last year, and this year. That is how we build a team. With that said there are some interesting wide receivers that we could actually sign.

1. Corey Davis
2. Godwin

I would prefer Corey Davis because he will be more hungry to perform for another team. He has been a big letdown for how high he was drafted, and being NCAA's all time leading receiver. The rest of the list isn't worth it. Either the receivers are too old, or they are no longer an option in terms of money, and character issues.

I'm also a big Davis fan, he would be a decent cheap depth option imo. Parker, Waddle, Elijah Moore, preston Williams, and corey Davis as our first 5 sounds pretty good to me

Do both. Free agents are bridges to your young talent and temporary fixes. I'm not comfortable with fixing the wr problem with just a rookie when rookie wide receivers are notorious for trouble adjusting. You either get stars or non factors without much in between. With Tua going into his second season we can't afford the risk of the latter. At the same time this team desperately needs frontline skill position talent.

I will tell you a few tales my friend. Teams that spend big in free agency normally don't translate well into winning. If that were to be the case then the Redskins would have had 20 superbowls by now. They have been one of the
biggest free agency spenders in the last decades, and have won nothing to prove for it. Winniest teams usually draft great players. They also happen to use the 2nd round to their advantage in the draft. One thing about throwing money at players is that they usually tend to regress for some reason. Byron Jones with us hasn't really given us a reason to make us believe he deserved that contract at this moment. I am hoping that Noah ends up being a worthy corner in this league, as any of the draft picks from last year, and this year. That is how we build a team. With that said there are some interesting wide receivers that we could actually sign.

1. Corey Davis
2. Godwin

I would prefer Corey Davis because he will be more hungry to perform for another team. He has been a big letdown for how high he was drafted, and being NCAA's all time leading receiver. The rest of the list isn't worth it. Either the receivers are too old, or they are no longer an option in terms of money, and character issues.
Corey Davis is a slow receiver who doesn't separate. He's too similar to Parker and neither one is an ideal fit for Tua who doesn't like throwing guys open outside of the red zone.

Corey Davis is a slow receiver who doesn't separate. He's too similar to Parker and neither one is an ideal fit for Tua who doesn't like throwing guys open outside of the red zone.
You may be right but we are talking about bargains. He has been productive. As a number 2 he was a few yards from 1k. We dont need him to be a star.

Clean house let’s freaking go both

Parker can be the 3rd option where he will excel

One would think because Watson spent plenty of time playing from behind that he’d be chucking the ball like crazy but he was only 10th in attempts...and he still led the league in passing yards with the 4th lowest interception percentage and was one of only 3 QBs to finish with a 70% completion percentage. Matt Ryan was in a similar situation, he went 4-12 too and he finished 21st in passer rating and 16th in yards per attempt. Watson was 2nd and 1st. You sound ridiculous. Watson is a top 5 QB, arguably top 3. In fact if you were starting a franchise from scratch he would be the 2nd pick behind only Mahomes.

It's a ridiculous sport. So forgive me if I sound ridiculous, brah...I'm just looking at the highlights and I see a lot of passes beyond 20 yards that are wide open. Only they're typically playing from behind by more than 7 points.

Why didn't they have him throw the ball more than 10th in the league? Why wasn't he able to get more than 4 wins? Marino never had a 4 win season and our defense sucked with no running game. It doesn't make any sense.

I've shined on plenty of shitty teams in my youth. I never thought I would've shined on a good team.

I'm still more intrigued with Tua's growth and development.

Back
Top Bottom