Ideal outside WR match for Tannehill.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal outside WR match for Tannehill..

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
**NOTE: This post is from 2014.**

If we're sticking with Ryan Tannehill as our long-term QB, then we need to find a WR that resembles a young Larry Fitzgerald.

Tannehill is good at throwing direct laser beams, when the receiver is facing him.

But Tannehill's biggest weakness is arcing a deep ball into a fast bucket (the over-the-shoulder deep route to Mike Wallace).

Jarvis Landry is great for the slot, but he doesn't have the deep speed or height or vertical leap to be a long-term solution on the outside.

An outside WR that resembles a young Larry Fitzgerald would be the ideal match for Tannehill. Non-diva, strong hands, good catch radius, breaks tackles, adequate deep speed (4.4-4.5 would be good enough).

It would allow Tannehill to stretch the field, with an outside WR that can highpoint the deep ball with strong hands, while facing the QB.

LarryFitzgerald-1.jpg

d0725fitz-1.jpg

1232076675-1.jpg

..while still having enough speed to break a long one..

51pNVcIwGgL_SX300_-1.jpg

**NOTE: This post is from 2014.**

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're sticking with Ryan Tannehill as our long-term QB, then we need to find a WR that resembles a young Larry Fitzgerald.

Tannehill is good at throwing direct laser beams, when the receiver is facing him.

But Tannehill's biggest weakness is arcing a deep ball into a fast bucket (the over-the-shoulder deep route to Mike Wallace).

Jarvis Landry is great for the slot, but he doesn't have the deep speed or height or vertical leap to be a long-term solution on the outside.

An outside WR that resembles a young Larry Fitzgerald would be the ideal match for Tannehill. Non-diva, strong hands, good catch radius, breaks tackles, adequate deep speed (4.4-4.5 would be good enough).

It would allow Tannehill to stretch the field, with an outside WR that can highpoint the deep ball with strong hands, while facing the QB.

LarryFitzgerald-1.jpg

d0725fitz-1.jpg

1232076675-1.jpg

..while still having enough speed to break a long one..

51pNVcIwGgL_SX300_-1.jpg

Any suggestions?

Maybe we can trade Brian Hartline for Antonio Brown or Dez Bryant.

I've heard this should be another good receiver draft. I wouldn't be opposed to taking another.

Or maybe we call this idiot and he gives us TY Hilton for Hartlineimage.jpg

DeVante Parker. 6'3 200+ averaging I believe 19 ypc and runs mid 4.3's.

8041688-1.jpg

The draft has some good early options. Kevin White will be gone, so Jaelan Strong, Ty Montgomery, Sammie Coates, DeVante Parker, Duke Williams, Dorial Green-Beckham are guys that are all 6-2+ that fit the mold. Haven't watched them in depth, just guys who fit early. Vince Mayle out of Washington St. is intriguing too. As far as I'm concerned our biggest need entering the offseason with the exception of maybe guard.

Does Jaelen Strong have legitimate deep speed? I think he would be a great weapon for Tannehill... he could actually throw him contested footballs and complete them.

All 32 NFL teams would love a prime Larry Fitzgerald.

I'm talking about type of player, and whether their playing style would be a good match for Ryan Tannehill.

- Mike Wallace-types are not a good match for Tannehill. With Mike Wallace-types, we're overpaying for tools that will not be used (the deep ball in stride)

- Young Larry Fitzgerald-types are a better match for Tannehill. A guy who can highpoint a contested deep ball while facing the QB, rip the ball out of the air, break a tackle, and have sufficient speed to go the distance.

We do need to stretch the field, and threaten deep. But considering Tannehill's strengths & weaknesses, we'll need a specific type of outside WR to do that.

So I don't think we should focus too much on the 4.3 burners. We would be overpaying / overdrafting for attributes that Tannehill will underutilize.

instead of chasing all-pros at every skill position to cover up our qb's inadequacies, why not just keep looking for a franchise qb that makes the players around him better?

instead of chasing all-pros at every skill position to cover up our qb's inadequacies, why not just keep looking for a franchise qb that makes the players around him better?

Some people don't understand football

Let's just go out to the Larry Fitzgerald tree and pick one. It's right next to the the Ticket Oak ;)

Back
Top Bottom