Ideal Scenario: Trade back, and get Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener, and Brandon Weeden | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal Scenario: Trade back, and get Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener, and Brandon Weeden

Projecting even 8 years out of weeden is quite a stretch not many qb's play till they are 37

It's true that any QB can turn out to be a bust.

So in a GOOD scenario..

- Brandon Weeden develops for 1 year, then provides 7 years of good play.

- Ryan Tannehill develops for 2-3 years, then provides 12 years of good play.

The problem with the Ryan Tannehill scenario is that with project QBs like him, you don't know if he's boom or bust until after 3-4 years (Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Chad Henne, JaMarcus Russell, etc).

So the problem with the Ryan Tannehill scenario is that if we throw our draft away for him, then we could easily waste the next 3-4 years hoping that he turns the corner (like we did with Chad Henne), and in that time period, we let franchise QBs slip by. Then after throwing away those 3-4 seasons, we realize he's a bust, and it's back to the drawing board.

With Brandon Weeden, we never pull ourselves away from the market for a franchise QB. We keep our eye out for one. If a good opportunity is there, we take it. We never go into the QB market out of desperation. When you go into a market out of desperation, you tend to overpay, overreach, and usually end up with a bad deal.

Nobody's goin to throw 2 firsts at us for Richardson or Claiborne or Floyd or Coples or Keuchly.

I never said we would get 2 firsts.

Your also assuming we can get fleener or weeden with our second round pick, ain't happenin.

Weeden is projected to be a 2nd rd pick.

Both Kendall Wright and Coby Fleener are projected to be late 1st rd picks. It's not impossible that one of them slips into the early 2nd rd.

So my scenario is unlikely, not impossible.

How the hell would we get those 3 guys without at least getting two later 1 st rounders? :confused: Let's say we traded back and got wright...fleener and weeden both drop, one to our pick, the other we have to trade back up for with our newly acquired 2nds and 3rds. This is all dependent on finding someone to trade back with, trade up with, all while having 2 of these guys unexpectedly fall, for no reason... And the teams we trade up with preferring not to grab the steals themselves. I never said impossible, but unrealistic seems about right !

How the hell would we get those 3 guys without at least getting two later 1 st rounders? :confused: Let's say we traded back and got wright...fleener and weeden both drop, one to our pick, the other we have to trade back up for with our newly acquired 2nds and 3rds. This is all dependent on finding someone to trade back with, trade up with, all while having 2 of these guys unexpectedly fall, for no reason... And the teams we trade up with preferring not to grab the steals themselves. I never said impossible, but unrealistic seems about right !

Currently we have:

- Early 1st Rd Pick
- Early 2nd Rd Pick
- Early 3rd Rd Pick
- Early 3rd Rd Pick

As I stated in my original post, we trade our early 1st rd pick and one of our early 3rd rd picks, for a late rd 1st rd pick and mid 2nd rd pick.

Thus, we have..

- Late 1st Rd Pick (from trade)
- Early 2nd Rd Pick
- Mid 2nd Rd Pick (from trade)
- Early 3rd Rd Pick

Currently, the following players are generally viewed as..

- Kendall Wright: late 1st rd pick
- Coby Fleener: late 1st rd pick
- Brandon Weeden: mid 2nd rd pick

For my scenario to work, I'm saying that either Kendall Wright or Coby Fleener slips from late 1st to the early 2nd rd. I'm not sure which one would, but it's not impossible that one of them slips to the early 2nd round.

In that case, we use our picks like this..

- Late 1st Rd Pick: Kendall Wright or Coby Fleener
- Early 2nd Rd Pick: Kendall Wright or Coby Fleener
- Mid 2nd Rd Pick: Brandon Weeden
- Early 3rd Rd Pick: Best RT available.

As I said, unlikely, but not impossible.

Fleener and Wright are two of my favorite players in the draft. If you told me we'd get them and just go for a QB in 2013, I could live with it. If we were able to add Weeden to that mix, I'd be pretty happy. Of course, it's not going to happen, and you're getting me excited for no reason.

I'd just be happy to get Wright, let alone Fleener also.

I think the team is comfortable(although I am not) with Moore, Garrard, and Devlin for this season. We could grab a project QB in the late rounds. I think this draft's emphasis will be on play makers and shoring up a few weak areas with young depth. Starting with TE.
I would not be surprised if Fleener gets drafted between 10-15. If we are sold on him, I would not be surprised to see us draft him at #8.
His stock has skyrocketed because of his speed. He is perfect for the WCO. Depending on who you talk to, it is a reach, but the guy can play. Having Fleener, Clay, and Fasano will give our QB plenty of targets, while still having the ability to block for the running game without situational personnel changes. Moore excelled at putting the ball up for Marshall because he was tall and physical. I can visualize Fleener doing the same type of receptions with Moore lobbing the ball out there.

Regarding weak areas, I would watch for us taking Josh Robinson in round 2. He can take over for Sean Smith.

I think the team is comfortable(although I am not) with Moore, Garrard, and Devlin for this season. We could grab a project QB in the late rounds. I think this draft's emphasis will be on play makers and shoring up a few weak areas with young depth. Starting with TE.
I would not be surprised if Fleener gets drafted between 10-15. If we are sold on him, I would not be surprised to see us draft him at #8.
His stock has skyrocketed because of his speed. He is perfect for the WCO. Depending on who you talk to, it is a reach, but the guy can play. Having Fleener, Clay, and Fasano will give our QB plenty of targets, while still having the ability to block for the running game without situational personnel changes. Moore excelled at putting the ball up for Marshall because he was tall and physical. I can visualize Fleener doing the same type of receptions with Moore lobbing the ball out there.

Regarding weak areas, I would watch for us taking Josh Robinson in round 2. He can take over for Sean Smith.

At the latest, I see Fleener going to Chicago at #19. But I didn't think Denarius Moore would make it out of the 2nd - certainly not out of the 3rd. Who knows what might happen? Of course, one season in, Moore looks more like a late 1st/early 2nd than a 5th.

Back
Top Bottom