Ideal Scenario: Trade back, and get Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener, and Brandon Weeden | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal Scenario: Trade back, and get Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener, and Brandon Weeden

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
That would be better than throwing everything away to get Ryan Tannehill, who has bust written all over him.

Of course, my ideal scenario would be hard to pull off. It would require trading our early 1st rd pick and one of our early 3rd rd picks, for a late rd 1st rd pick and 2nd rd pick. But between Kendall Wright & Coby Fleener, one of them might go late 1st rd, and another might slip to 2nd rd.

Kendall Wright & Coby Fleener would instantly transform our slow WR & TE group into a fast one. It would stretch out defenses, giving Reggie Bush even more room to work.

In the past, our starting WRs & TEs..

WR1: Brandon Marshall (4.5s)
WR2: Brian Hartline (4.5s) / Davone Bess (4.6s)
TE: Anthony Fasano (4.6s)

Not a single starter who ran better than 4.5. Instead, we'd have..

WR1: Kendall Wright (4.4s)
WR2: Brian Hartline (4.5s) / Davone Bess (4.6s)
TE: Coby Fleener (4.4s)

It should also be noted that Kendall Wright is extremely good at tracking the deep ball, and catching the deep ball in stride. He's also good at making the tough catches over the middle.

We can pick up a RT with our remaining 3rd rd pick.

Yeah, I know it would be hard to pull off. But that's my ideal scenario.

((Edit: for the 40 times above, I'm posting the best time the given player has ever run, whether Pro Day or Combine))

You do realize Kendall Wright and Fleener are not 4.4 guys right?

Kendall Wright ran a 4.4 in his 2011 Jr Pro Day, and ran a 4.4 in his 2012 Pro Day.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/kendall-wright-1/

Additionally, in real live games, he is one of the fastest people on the field. All NFL analysts describe him as explosively fast when the pads are on.

[youtube]q_4kvpLC1d8[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4kvpLC1d8

His slow 2012 combine time was due to bad starts (see below). All the scouts are disregarding his slow 2012 combine times as an anomaly.

As an NFL WR, Kendall Wright is never going to have to get into a track stance, hold it for 3 seconds, before running down the field.

"He wanted me to hold my stance for three seconds, and I didn't work on it like that," Wright said. "I got uncomfortable when I was down there and I popped up on my first two starts. That's all I worked on when I got back, was my 40 starts."

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/tag/_/name/kendall-wright

Coby Fleener has been timed as low as 4.45. Whether you think he's a 4.45 guy or 4.52 guy, he's a lot faster than Anthony Fasano.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/coby-fleener-creates-buzz-at-stanford-pro-day/

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/13403/coby-fleener-impresses-at-pro-day

does tannehill have bust written on his forehead, or on his back on his shoulders somewhere? I can't seem to find it...

i do however wish I had telepathic powers and could predetermine which players would find success in the nfl and which would not....

I'm not saying these guys aren't fast, but they're not 4.4 guys. True 4.4 guys are rare. And the 40 times for every player is going to be faster at the Pro Days b/c they are handheld times....which are always quicker. But what you saw at the combine was the fast guys still ran fast. To say he didn't know he had to hold for 3 seconds is an excuse. Everyone knows that. Wright is very fast, very quick especially in short bursts/area. I'd be ecstatic with Wright and Fleener. Just not going to happen.

yeah...good luck getting wright and fleener...wright plays so fast anyways doesn't matter to me if he's a likely closer to 4.5 guy...that kid plays fast

I'm not saying these guys aren't fast, but they're not 4.4 guys. True 4.4 guys are rare. And the 40 times for every player is going to be faster at the Pro Days b/c they are handheld times....which are always quicker. But what you saw at the combine was the fast guys still ran fast. To say he didn't know he had to hold for 3 seconds is an excuse. Everyone knows that.

False. All the scouts are ignoring Kendall Wright's slow 2012 combine time as an anomaly. If scouts really thought Kendall Wright was a 5'10" WR with 4.5 or 4.6 speed, nobody would even consider him a 1st rd or 2nd rd draft pick.

There is way too much other timed data and real game tape to show that he's one of the fastest guys on the field, especially when the pads are on.

Everyone is allowed to have one bad day, especially if there is a mountain of data pointing the other way.

If the team could pull it off, that would be a nice start to the draft.
It would require so much cooperation and luck that it will probably never happen.
At the minimum, Weeden would be a nice back up.

Using your Weeden scenario, do you think he will beat out Matt Moore this season?
If he can't, then Weeden will be the wrong guy...we should go with a project QB and shop for a franchise QB next year.

I could see either Wright or Fleener and Weeden. Making all that happen would be a nice scenario, but might involve two trade down partners and a trade up partner. Not impossible. NFL network Path to the Draft speculates that Dallas would like to trade up for Mark Barron. I think Rex Ryan is salivating over this guy as well. Dallas could be a trade partner. So it's possible the Dolphins could get Wright at 14 (a little high for him), then trade back into the first for Fleener and draft Weeden in the 2nd.

Using your Weeden scenario, do you think he will beat out Matt Moore this season? If he can't, then Weeden will be the wrong guy...we should go with a project QB and shop for a franchise QB next year.

I don't think Weeden would be the starter his rookie year. He'll probably need some time to develop, but not nearly as much as Ryan Tannehill will need. Weeden is already a proven superstar and winner. Tannehill? Not so much.

If you want a "project QB", then Weeden is about as good as it gets. He's the 3rd best QB in the draft. The only reason he's dropping to the 2nd rd is because of his age. So we'll get 8 years out of him, instead of 13. That just gives us breathing room, and we can pick & choose over the next 8 years, to get a 13 yr franchise QB. It's better to negotiate with the ability to walk away, than to go in with desperation, and throw away our draft for a QB that is not really a 1st rd talent (Tannehill).

I like he combo of Wright and Fleener. I'd also like to see us take Alshon Jeffery

I like he combo of Wright and Fleener. I'd also like to see us take Alshon Jeffery

Jeffrey is too sluggish, I'd rather look at Reuben Randle and Joe Adams in the 3rd rd and jeff Fuller in the 4th or 5th.

I don't think Weeden would be the starter his rookie year. He'll probably need some time to develop, but not nearly as much as Ryan Tannehill will need. Weeden is already a proven superstar and winner. Tannehill? Not so much.

If you want a "project QB", then Weeden is about as good as it gets. He's the 3rd best QB in the draft. The only reason he's dropping to the 2nd rd is because of his age. So we'll get 8 years out of him, instead of 13. That just gives us breathing room, and we can pick & choose over the next 8 years, to get a 13 yr franchise QB. It's better to negotiate with the ability to walk away, than to go in with desperation, and throw away our draft for a QB that is not really a 1st rd talent (Tannehill).

Projecting even 8 years out of weeden is quite a stretch not many qb's play till they are 37

:rolleyes2:Completely Unrealistic.... Not very well thought out plan.....dream on bud. Sounds like something I'd do in madden franchise mode.

It would have to involve Cincy, or much less likely/possible... New england. Your assuming there will be a home run pick at#8, which we'd prefer to pass on. Nobody's goin to throw 2 firsts at us for Richardson or Claiborne or Floyd or Coples or Keuchly anyway.

Your also assuming we can get fleener or weeden with our second round pick, ain't happenin. It would require trading up.

Best case scenario :A.Luck refuses to play for Indy, they draft and trade him to Miami... Seriously tho.... Best scenario for the dolphins is : philbin and Sherman love tannehill, want to groom him to be our franchise qb, and are lucky enough to trade back a few spots and still get him. ( if they want him they have to take him @ 8 )Than we get a 1st round talent to fall into our laps in the second...

...or.... A blue chip player falls to us @ #8' , than we trade back into the 1st ( would cost next years 1st )for Weeden because Philbin and Sherman are head over heals for him.

Back
Top Bottom