Ideas on Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideas on Draft

PhinFan8589

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Dolphins obviousley have alot of work to do in the draft. But as far as the 1st rounder, I don't think the Fins will be thinking as many positions as you may think. With the signing of Deke Cooper, I believe that the Dolphins have there 4 safeties who they will take into training camp. Right now, Bell, Tillman, Cooper, and Hill will all compete for the starting spots. I like that because each player is young and has potential. At CB, I believe Saban also has what he needs. With Allen and Daniels starting, then with Poole at nickel, Goodman at Dime, and Mitchell competing for playing time.

So it looks like the Dolphins may have all they need in the secondary. I am nit saying if a top prospect falls to us that we don't take him, but I defnently would not stretch for a CB or S.

Then you look at other positions. It is a likely the Fins will not draft a QB, RB, TE, G, DE or probably MLB. That leaves OLB, DT, OT, and WR.

With OT, we already have two starters so again it is unlikely the Dolphins will look for a Tackle, again unless someone slips down to 16. So it looks like the Dolphins will probably draft either a DT, WR, or OLB in the first round. At 16, there will be quality at each position left. After the first round, then the Dolphins can look at all positions.

for the most part I agree with you. There is a ton of talent at the OLB and CB/S spotr this year.

I honestly think he drafts one of them. Unless of corse a Winston Justice type falls to use.

I like Holmes and Jackson, but I think Saban passes for one of the more talented CB/S/OLB...

Watch Saban get his LB and S in the 3rd and 4th round.

I don't like drafting LB in the early rounds, but could see a S/CB hybrid player to add flexibility.

From a talent standpoint I think we're close enough to take BPA irregardless of position. If someone slips then it's him, if a trade down partner materializes thats it, this way it keeps our options wide open.

finfan54 said:
Watch Saban get his LB and S in the 3rd and 4th round.

true as well. look at daniels and crowder last year alone and possibly poole the yhear before. all rd 1 material other then daniels taht slipped to us as a steal. he can find it again this year and take a taletn taht CANT" be found in the later rounds ala holmes/jackson or Justice

Kyfinsfan said:
I don't like drafting LB in the early rounds, but could see a S/CB hybrid player to add flexibility.

Jason Allen

I like Allen but the injury concerns me...I like Whitner more. Look for Nick to take Jackson or Holmes to give Daunte more tools...I think we need a true burner.

i agree with you that those are our needs. In the NFL draft though, you draft the best player, not always the biggest need. If a stud drops to us, we take him, and he will help us. We have okay dbs's, but still below average. If a stud db falls to us we take him. If chad greenway falls, take him. if justice falls to us, take him. For the most part, you need to draft the best player

Our secondary as is right now is probably the weakest in the NFL. We need to draft a S with the 16th pick and try to sign a guy like Ty Law for 1 season. I would love to draft a OLB with our pick, but we are extremely weak in the secondary.

Miamifin23 said:
Our secondary as is right now is probably the weakest in the NFL. We need to draft a S with the 16th pick and try to sign a guy like Ty Law for 1 season. I would love to draft a OLB with our pick, but we are extremely weak in the secondary.

I completely disagree, thats a ridiculous statement to make.

I think our secondary is in pretty good shape actually. Plus, Saban knows his DBs.

CB: Allen, Poole, Daniels, Mitchell, Goodman, Jackson, Thomas
S: Bell, Hill, Cooper, Tillman, Shabazz, Hunt, Lejeune

Granted, I know not all of them will make the regular season roster. I think thats a pretty solid group, especially with Nick teaching them and the way his system works with the front 7 putting so much pressure on the QB, forcing the QB to make bad decisions. His system makes even average DBs look good, and we have an above average group.

Back
Top Bottom