If Boston has a big year, do you sign him up longterm? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Boston has a big year, do you sign him up longterm?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Im not sure I would.. It would be a big risk to invest alot of money in him, even if he has a big year this year. Risks, whether it be injury or off-field/On-field character issues.

I probably would sign him to a three year deal, at league minimum. And have plenty of incentives, and performance bonuses.

:yes: Definitely! I think that's the whole point of this one year deal. The guy is only 26 years old. If he has a break out season, I think we should try him long term. If he gets injured this season, he's pretty done. It gets to the point where too many injuries bombard you, and your career is over. I honestly don't think that is the case with Boston, he is only 26. If he shows us and everyone else something and has a terrific year this season... I say yes... worth the RISK, go long term. This season should determine the outcome of his future here in Miami, and this is definitely one, one year contract that I am extremely thrilled about. :cooldude:

i think if he has a good year we resign to an above average of receivers money;; i think he will mature by the time next offseason rolls around. saban will keep him out of trouble.

I would probably sign him to a three year deal as well becasue you never know how long he will last

Im glad we signed him, and I hope he finally lives up to his potential, but lets not get ahead of ourselves folks, he has not proved a thing in a while........I hope he stays healthy, and has a great year, but it's not like we signed Randy Moss or anything.....

mario88vega said:
Im glad we signed him, and I hope he finally lives up to his potential, but lets not get ahead of ourselves folks, he has not proved a thing in a while........I hope he stays healthy, and has a great year, but it's not like we signed Randy Moss or anything.....

It's a better signing than david Terrell that the patriots got?

I think it's a risky move to sign him to a big contract but if he has a huge year, the Fins will be pressed to give him a lot of money or lose him. If the Fins don't offer him one, another team will offer him a long-term deal and he'll move on. I think the front office could give him a good enough deal to keep him in Miami "if" he has a break-out year.

Another wildcard is if he would want to stick around. He wanted to follow Sullivan this year but Nolan didn't want him. I think he's looking at this opportunity to prove his worth and cash in on a long-term contract next year. If he proves his worth and gets back on track, the 49ers may show interest next year. They could use a big receiver to go with their new star QB and with Sullivan in San. Fran, it could make things interesting.

It's all about how big a year Boston has.........

:hmmm:

Phinz said:
I probably would sign him to a three year deal, at league minimum. And have plenty of incentives, and performance bonuses.
:yes:

He may not be Randy Moss but he is one of the few people that you can mention physically not productivity wise but physically with Randy and TO. I love the potential he has and he is going to be hungry to earn a big contract.

SkapePhin said:
Im not sure I would.. It would be a big risk to invest alot of money in him, even if he has a big year this year. Risks, whether it be injury or off-field/On-field character issues.
Yes. But I would have VERY tight clauses in his contract about steriods and such. I would sign him to a 4-5 year deal with escalating pay. He will be 27 at the end of this year, that age is pretty much the prime of their career. Boston, Booker, and Chambers are roughly the same age and if they perform well this year, I would like to keep them together. Personally, I think they are a perfect mix. You have the deep speedy threat, the great hands posession guy, and then a good combination of both. Its pretty much the ideal situation for 3 WR sets IMO.

Philter25 said:
Yes. But I would have VERY tight clauses in his contract about steriods and such. I would sign him to a 4-5 year deal with escalating pay. He will be 27 at the end of this year, that age is pretty much the prime of their career. Boston, Booker, and Chambers are roughly the same age and if they perform well this year, I would like to keep them together. Personally, I think they are a perfect mix. You have the deep speedy threat, the great hands posession guy, and then a good combination of both. Its pretty much the ideal situation for 3 WR sets IMO.

Again. We concur.

If all 3 live up to potential this year, you simply can't afford to break up these 3. Oddly enough, they could become the foundation of the offense. However, in this dreamland we live in, we must consider McMike's contract demands and the inevitable salary at QB that will begin to factor in (no matter who's QB).

It's not hard to imagine Boston, Booker, Chambers, McMike and Brown consuming $15M - $25M of our cap in any given year. That doesn't leave alot for the rest of the team. HOWEVER, I do believe the new defensive schemes will shift where some of our money is going. But, all in all, it's still a wash because even if it shifts to different positions, it's still spent.

All that said, I would like to see a few solid years of spending more (yet wisely) on the offensive side. It would appear we have 1 year to soak up all this offensive fire power at cheaper prices. And, in this day and age, you "hit it" when you can "get it". It's not wise to believe we will have this much offensive talent AROUND a QB for an extended period of time. We have to make use of these guys now. We won't likely see this much talent on offense consistently. And if Reefer Williams does come back, I know we'll never have this much talent collected again on any preseason roster.

While we are rebuiling/building, you can't let this kind of opportunity pass you by and think "wait till next year". For this offensive group, the window could be small.

But, I hope not.

NathanHunt said:
Again. We concur.

If all 3 live up to potential this year, you simply can't afford to break up these 3. Oddly enough, they could become the foundation of the offense. However, in this dreamland we live in, we must consider McMike's contract demands and the inevitable salary at QB that will begin to factor in (no matter who's QB).

It's not hard to imagine Boston, Booker, Chambers, McMike and Brown consuming $15M - $25M of our cap in any given year. That doesn't leave alot for the rest of the team. HOWEVER, I do believe the new defensive schemes will shift where some of our money is going. But, all in all, it's still a wash because even if it shifts to different positions, it's still spent.

All that said, I would like to see a few solid years of spending more (yet wisely) on the offensive side. It would appear we have 1 year to soak up all this offensive fire power at cheaper prices. And, in this day and age, you "hit it" when you can "get it". It's not wise to believe we will have this much offensive talent AROUND a QB for an extended period of time. We have to make use of these guys now. We won't likely see this much talent on offense consistently. And if Reefer Williams does come back, I know we'll never have this much talent collected again on any preseason roster.

While we are rebuiling/building, you can't let this kind of opportunity pass you by and think "wait till next year". For this offensive group, the window could be small.

But, I hope not.

:bling: :bling:

i personally am thrilled to have him. i think our offeense is set, as long as our line plays. feely or frerotte will be able to carry the load

Back
Top Bottom