If Fangio isn't named DC were idiots! | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Fangio isn't named DC were idiots!

I think Fangio would be a great hire. I know we interviewed one of his young proteges and I could see a situation where the team leans in that direction. There are advantages to young and hungry as opposed to the alternative, but I'd love Fangio.

I think you may be laying too much blame on the LB's.
LB's have been a weakpoint for Miami since we traded Zach Thomas. Since then every guy we've had up to the present has been as mediocre as our records in that timeframe.

I think you may be laying too much blame on the LB's.
Maybe I am but I am just basing it on my observations when the LB’s were in pass coverage. Perhaps it was the defense they were in but I just didn’t see LB’s on the Dolphins who appeared to be great when it came to pass coverage.

Maybe it was the fault of the defensive system under Boyer but pass coverage was certainly an issue this past season. Hopefully it will be better next year under the new DC.

If you look at the starters on the Eagles, he has actually done a very good job with his draft picks in recent years and he has been effective with his trades and free agent pick ups.

Many in the media say the Eagles have the most talented roster in the league right now and that certainly shows that Howie has done an excellent job for the Eagles.

Hurts and Goedert were his hits.

Jason Kelce and Lane Johnson are Andy Reid selections.

Devonta Smith is arguable. He’s a good player but even knowing what I know about him now I wouldn’t have taken him at 10.

Roseman’s acumen comes in signing and trade for veterans. He doesn’t have a keen eye for talent. See Jalen Reagor and Andrew Dillard.

Even when they won the super bowl his major contribution was paying Alshon Jeffrey $15M for one year. Andy Reid drafted everyone else.

Roseman deserves credit for building a winner but his individual moves are nothing to brag about.

Just drafting Jalen Hurts doesn’t change his poor record.

If you look at the starters on the Eagles, he has actually done a very good job with his draft picks in recent years and he has been effective with his trades and free agent pick ups.

Many in the media say the Eagles have the most talented roster in the league right now and that certainly shows that Howie has done an excellent job for the Eagles.
I think he was being sarcastic.

Devonta Smith is arguable. He’s a good player but even knowing what I know about him now I wouldn’t have taken him at 10.

Roseman’s acumen comes in signing and trade for veterans. He doesn’t have a keen eye for talent. See Jalen Reagor and Andrew Dillard.

Even when they won the super bowl his major contribution was paying Alshon Jeffrey $15M for one year. Andy Reid drafted everyone else.

Roseman deserves credit for building a winner but his individual moves are nothing to brag about.

I admit I don’t follow the Eagles much because I really only care about the Dolphins. Yet based on what I have seen this past year, the Eagles seem to have a loaded roster.

The job of the GM is to find talent and to resign talented players once they prove their worth. Whether they find players in the draft, through trades or in free agency is irrelevant to me. Putting a playoff caliber team on the field is really all that is relevant.

The fact the Eagles are considered one of if not the most talented team in the entire league is a direct reflection on the job Roseman has done as their GM.

Also you are wrong in regards to Reid drafting Johnson. He left the Eagles after the 2012 season and Roseman was the GM in 2013, when Lane was drafted in the first round.

You are correct about Kelce but he wasn’t drafted until the 6th round. So obviously Reid was just lucky that no team drafted him before the 6th round and that Kelce ended up being much better than teams expected him to be.

Reid hasn’t been with the Eagles since 2012. So while I agree he is great at selecting talent, as proved with the Chiefs, and the Eagles previously. The reality is the present Eagles are a team put together by Roseman and the ownership must be happy with him since he signed a new contract through 2025 last year.

Obviously they think much more highly of him as a GM than you do.

what about Jordan Mailata their stud LT who was a former rugby player drafted in the 7th round?

Boyer had his DB's playing beyond the marker too much and it cost him. It was easy pitch and catch situations for opposing offenses. And running QB's took advantage of Boyer's blitz happy defense.
I am certainly not defending Boyer and I’m happy they will have a new DC next season. Yet that still doesn’t change the fact I feel they need to upgrade their ILB’s. Bringing in completion in the secondary if Byron Jones and
Needham don’t return next year is also a priority.

what about Jordan Mailata their stud LT who was a former rugby player drafted in the 7th round?
That appears to be a great pick. Yet late round picks are mostly more misses than hits and if there were high expectations for those players, they would have never lasted that long to begin with in the draft.

Just like Purdy in the 2022 draft. There weren’t many teams expecting him to be the QB he has turned out to be so far. That’s why he was the very last player taken in the draft. He has proved to be much better than any team expected him to be and that happens with a few late round picks and UDFA’s every year.

GM’s need to get lucky with a few late round picks and UDFA’s to build a solid team. While hitting on high draft picks, making good trades, and signing free agents who upgrade the roster is what separates the good GM’s from the average to below average GM’s in the NFL.

I admit I don’t follow the Eagles much because I really only care about the Dolphins. Yet based on what I have seen this past year, the Eagles seem to have a loaded roster.

The job of the GM is to find talent and to resign talented players once they prove their worth. Whether they find players in the draft, through trades or in free agency is irrelevant to me. Putting a playoff caliber team on the field is really all that is relevant.

The fact the Eagles are considered one of if not the most talented team in the entire league is a direct reflection on the job Roseman has done as their GM.

Also you are wrong in regards to Reid drafting Johnson. He left the Eagles after the 2012 season and Roseman was the GM in 2013, when Lane was drafted in the first round.

You are correct about Kelce but he wasn’t drafted until the 6th round. So obviously Reid was just lucky that no team drafted him before the 6th round and that Kelce ended up being much better than teams expected him to be.

Reid hasn’t been with the Eagles since 2012. So while I agree he is great at selecting talent, as proved with the Chiefs, and the Eagles previously. The reality is the present Eagles are a team put together by Roseman and the ownership must be happy with him since he signed a new contract through 2025 last year.

Obviously they think much more highly of him as a GM than you do.

Lane Johnson was a Chip Kelly guy, forgot that he wasn’t a Reid guy. Also remember Howie traded the farm for Wentz and your giving him credit for a Super Bowl Nick Foles won with Andy Reid players. Including Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox, who are still leading the team.

Maybe we should take a play from his playbook and focus on one year rental players, that’s Howie’s thing.

No matter how you spin it, he’s below average at drafting and college talent evaluation.

He’s a cap and trades/Free agents guru for sure. I wish Chris Grier had half a clue in this regard.

I am not jealous of their roster. Just Lane Johnson and Dallas Goedert. Each of whom I championed in their respective draft classes.

Howie, like everybody else, deserves to be judged solely for their own decisions.

He deserves credit for signing Alshon Jeffrey to a 1 year prove it deal that helped win that title. And he deserves obvious criticism for turning around and signing that same player to a bone headed contract extension.

The dude was a villain in Philly until the Eagles caught lightning in a bottle with a team full of Andy Reid’s player and a former Andy Reid disciple at HC.

Winning a Super Bowl doesn’t automatically elevate every single thing about an organization into a new level of accomplishment. Heck 6 Super Bowls doesn’t either. I know of a HC who won 6 Super Bowls with a QB he didn’t draft or even want on his roster but said HC is still considered (by far) the best HC of all time.

Last edited:
I am giving Howie credit for putting the team together, yes.

Lane Johnson was a Chip Kelly guy, forgot that he wasn’t a Reid guy. Also remember Howie traded the farm for Wentz and your giving him credit for a Super Bowl Nick Foles won with Andy Reid players. Including Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox, who are still leading the team.

Maybe we should take a play from his playbook and focus on one year rental players, that’s Howie’s thing.

No matter how you spin it, he’s below average at drafting and college talent evaluation.

He’s a cap and trades/Free agents guru for sure.

I am not jealous of their roster. Just Lane Johnson and Dallas Goedert. Each of whom I championed in their respective draft classes.
First of all, I never even mentioned the Eagles Super Bowl win.

My entire comments have been about the team he has assembled for this season. So I am not referring to the job he has done throughout his time with the Eagles.

Looking at their record over his time as GM, he has had years his team was very good and years they weren’t very good. So I would assume many Eagle fans wanted him gone during those down years.

I think he did an excellent job putting this years team together. Otherwise I don’t care if they fire him after the season if the Eagles don’t win the SB.

While I have no problem discussing Roseman and the Eagles with you or anyone else. The reality is my only real concern is the Dolphins and how they can put together a roster as talented as the Eagles seem to be this year.

I am willing to give Roseman credit for the 2022 roster he put together but otherwise I don’t care one bit about the Eagles.

My biggest concern with the Eagles is whether their DC is going to remain with them after the season or become a HC with another NFL team. Because whether he stays or goes might impact whether Fangio comes to Miami or not and that is really all that matters to me regarding the Eagles.

First of all, I never even mentioned the Eagles Super Bowl win.

My entire comments have been about the team he has assembled for this season. So I am not referring to the job he has done throughout his time with the Eagles.

Looking at their record over his time as GM, he has had years his team was very good and years they weren’t very good. So I would assume many Eagle fans wanted him gone during those down years.

I think he did an excellent job putting this years team together. Otherwise I don’t care if they fire him after the season if the Eagles don’t win the SB.

While I have no problem discussing Roseman and the Eagles with you or anyone else. The reality is my only real concern is the Dolphins and how they can put together a roster as talented as the Eagles seem to be this year.

I am willing to give Roseman credit for the 2022 roster he put together but otherwise I don’t care one bit about the Eagles.

My biggest concern with the Eagles is whether their DC is going to remain with them after the season or become a HC with another NFL team. Because whether he stays or goes might impact whether Fangio comes to Miami or not and that is really all that matters to me regarding the Eagles.

It’s funny you mention their DC, he’s not a fan favorite and was easily the target of Eagles fans ire most of the season. Starting with the Lions just destroying them on opening day with 4 straight TDs in the second half, that saw the Eagles narrowly escape one of the only quality teams they played all season.

Not that they could really face any quality teams in the NFC other than SF.

Same Eagles team that squeezed out wins against teams picking 1,2,3 and 4th in the draft by an average of 5 points.

The same Houston Texans team we were up 30-0 at half time is the same team that ran them over for 3 quarters before losing steam in the fourth quarter.

1 point win over the Colts.
3 point win over the Cardinals
5 point win over the Bears

They lost to the Commanders.

The Giants and Cowboys proved to absolute jokes.

Jalen Hurts has been great and all but their record was superficial.

If you haven’t guessed, I live in the Philly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom