If Flores Is Hired, What Will Our Base Defense Be? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Flores Is Hired, What Will Our Base Defense Be?

The problem is that how much did he contribute. Belichick never made him DC but we make him HC. It’s like we hire a guy that is going to need training wheels.
Rumor has it Bill likes to do this so other teams stop hiring his staff for jobs. He set up the formations and made the calls in game all year long and had all the responsibilities of the defensive coordinator position.

Bill Belichick is unquestionably a great coach. But, his coaching tree has not had much success. The takeaways from this that jump out in this way-too-early-reaction to his potential hiring are:

1. He has a friendship with Grier that goes back a long time, so I suspect Grier trusts him, his skill set, and potential.
2. He lacks experience managing systems and people at a very high level, because even if he was the 'defacto DC' everyone knows that Belichick is calling those shots, and this experience is only for one year.
3. The Belichick coaching tree has had blasé results even for highly gloried members, so this unglorified member is likely to be used as Tanky McTankerson for our run up (well run DOWN actually) to the top of the 2020 draft where we might find a top QB like Jake Fromm.

Either way, Grier's head will be on the line if we hire Flores and it doesn't work out, because it seems his personal relationship with Grier is the primary indicator that he will be a success.

Bill Belichick is unquestionably a great coach. But, his coaching tree has not had much success. The takeaways from this that jump out in this way-too-early-reaction to his potential hiring are:

1. He has a friendship with Grier that goes back a long time, so I suspect Grier trusts him, his skill set, and potential.
2. He lacks experience managing systems and people at a very high level, because even if he was the 'defacto DC' everyone knows that Belichick is calling those shots, and this experience is only for one year.
3. The Belichick coaching tree has had blasé results even for highly gloried members, so this unglorified member is likely to be used as Tanky McTankerson for our run up (well run DOWN actually) to the top of the 2020 draft where we might find a top QB like Jake Fromm.

Either way, Grier's head will be on the line if we hire Flores and it doesn't work out, because it seems his personal relationship with Grier is the primary indicator that he will be a success.
Based on Patriots fans that I have talked to,point 2 is factually incorrect. They say Bill let's his coordinators call the plays so he can lead the entire team. It also allows him to be more hands on coaching individual players as well.

I understand the doubt but the defensive improvement this year under Flores has a lot to do with Flores as well. I wouldn't completely dismiss it just because of past results of other coordinators.

Based on Patriots fans that I have talked to,point 2 is factually incorrect. They say Bill let's his coordinators call the plays so he can lead the entire team. It also allows him to be more hands on coaching individual players as well.

I understand the doubt but the defensive improvement this year under Flores has a lot to do with Flores as well. I wouldn't completely dismiss it just because of past results of other coordinators.
Calling the shots means making the decisions. Bill is known to be a guy with a heavy hand in the decision making of his defenses. I wasn't referring to calling the plays, but I can see how I should have made that clearer. Thank you for pointing that out. Calling the plays is a big piece. Still, even if he were a full DC--which is not what I've been hearing--it would have only been for one year … so he still lacks experience, which was the gist of point 2. Not arguing, just clarifying.

Calling the shots means making the decisions. Bill is known to be a guy with a heavy hand in the decision making of his defenses. I wasn't referring to calling the plays, but I can see how I should have made that clearer. Thank you for pointing that out. Calling the plays is a big piece. Still, even if he were a full DC--which is not what I've been hearing--it would have only been for one year … so he still lacks experience, which was the gist of point 2. Not arguing, just clarifying.
Oh I fully get the rest of your points and they are all valid. I dont know if any of this will work or not but after going to multiple patriot fan forums and sites,I do feel better about the hire than I would a week ago.

Charles Harris would definitely benefit in a 3-4 defense. He played that a good bit in college and he would have a lot more space and flexibility to work his “moves”, IMO.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think we have a true 3-4 NT on the roster

Charles Harris would definitely benefit in a 3-4 defense. He played that a good bit in college and he would have a lot more space and flexibility to work his “moves”, IMO.

Not more space than he had in a wide 9.

I think that 4.85 horizontally will stand out more even in a bad way in a 34.

Oh I fully get the rest of your points and they are all valid. I dont know if any of this will work or not but after going to multiple patriot fan forums and sites,I do feel better about the hire than I would a week ago.
Wish I did.

Garbage. Like the Pats defense has been. Why would we hire the dumbass that surrendered the Miami Miracle? That play succeeding was all on idiotic coaching from the Pats. What kind of moron thought we were attempting a 75 yard Hail Mary? The idiot that is now our head coach.

Garbage. Like the Pats defense has been. Why would we hire the dumbass that surrendered the Miami Miracle? That play succeeding was all on idiotic coaching from the Pats. What kind of moron thought we were attempting a 75 yard Hail Mary? The idiot that is now our head coach.

If were using that logic, then why did we fire the almighty genius gase that drew up the Miami miracle? Geez what a great offensive mind that we let go

I believe you will find that Flores either

A) Didn't actually call the defense, so that was Belichick's fault

or

B) Flores put Gronk on the field against a quarterback with a busted shoulder who had the ball on his own 30 yard line with 2 seconds to play.

Take your pick on this one.

If were using that logic, then why did we fire the almighty genius gase that drew up the Miami miracle? Geez what a great offensive mind that we let go

That game was also our pathetic offense’s highest scoring output of the season. What about that game says “let’s put the guy in charge of that defense in charge of our whole team”?

Back
Top Bottom