IF Healthy Can Tua Challenge Dan The Man's 5 K Yards? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IF Healthy Can Tua Challenge Dan The Man's 5 K Yards?

I do agree to a point. I have a problem with any team going prevent and run out the clock. Many times it prevents you from winning,
I agree with that. I guess to expand on my point, when I look at the defense I see a heavy investment in playmakers on the back end and play makers on the pass rush. Less attention is spent on run stopping (David Long Jr should help that). I don't think they'll play conservative. I think it's more like they will dare teams to throw on them.

I agree with that. I guess to expand on my point, when I look at the defense I see a heavy investment in playmakers on the back end and play makers on the pass rush. Less attention is spent on run stopping (David Long Jr should help that). I don't think they'll play conservative. I think it's more like they will dare teams to throw on them.
Absolutely and that means turnovers and not the ones from the bakery which is all we could get last season. :UP:

In 1984, Marino was the NFL Most Valuable Player (MVP), when he set single-season records of 5,084 passing yards, 48 touchdown passes, nine 300-yard passing games, and four 400-yard passing games. He was voted the 1994 NFL Comeback Player of the Year, and the 1998 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year.

Last season Tua threw for 3548 in 13 games, an average of 273 per game. Project that over 17 games would be over 4600. Add in the second year of a new O and I expect Achane to increase his total. I also believe our D gives us more time of possession. I think it is possible with health being the major stumbling block.

In NO WAY am I comparing Tua with Dan but, the 5 K in a different era would still be special.

First, he could easily overtake Dan's 5000 number if he proves to be healthy all year, but a few things about that.

1. Miami is not going to be as big a one dimensional passing team this year as they were last year, so that will hinder Tua and the Receivers a bit, yet I still think there is a slight chance even with all the running.

2. How well will the O-Line do? Personally I don't think they have to be all that great for Tua to get chunk yardage like playing on a broken, very generous slot machine, but they also can not be as bad as a few years ago.

3. Will the injury bug do to the WRs, what it did in 2022 to the secondary? If it does, it will be very tough for Tua.

4. Though I think with the talent Tua has around him, reaching 5000+ yards might not be as big a deal, if a Young Marino played today, seeing a QB reach 6000+ yards might not be that crazy either.

Last edited:
As long as we win, I’ll take it. Individual player stats are not as important as the team winning. We are now approaching a solid roster, capable of taking it all.

The Steelers under Knox, Bradshaw, Lambert, etc, were an excellent team. Excellent D. Excellent O. Excellent coach. Excellent all around.

We are getting there now. The addition of Achane adds a Harris like element to our running game. The addition of the new DB makes up for a lack of a smasher LB. We have our Joe Green in Wilkins. We have our Stallworth and Swan.

Add a solid LB and I think Miami will take the division and be in the SB.

I think he would need to complete close to 70% of his passes to have a solid chance of getting the yards record. Don't see Tua ever getting the TD record tho.

The Dolphins are going to run a lot more this year, at least all signs are pointing that way, including playing with the lead if our new defense plays as good as it looks.

So, I don't think Tua comes close to that record, if healthy I expect him to be around 4000 yards.

Yes there’s maybe 10 qbs in the league that couldn’t throw for 5k yards in todays league if given enough opportunities . It’s not impressive anymore. What Dan did in 84 is the modern day equivalent of maybe 6500 yards and 65 tds especially with the added game.

The Dolphins are going to run a lot more this year, at least all signs are pointing that way, including playing with the lead if our new defense plays as good as it looks.

So, I don't think Tua comes close to that record, if healthy I expect him to be around 4000 yards.

This is my hope! We need more balance especially with this oline. Not only will it keep Tua healthy, he’ll kill them with play action. He’s already torched the league on play action (RPO) without a real running game. Imagine if he actually has one? I think we’d be pushing 30 points a game.

I think Fangio's defense is going to net us 2 additional possessions per game. That means we should be somewhere around 14-15 per game. With our offensive weapons we should eclipse the league average of 25% TD conversion out of 10 possessions and for sure we should be doing better than the 375 league average of total offense.

• 15 possessions per game
  • 3-4 TDs per game (59 total) at a league average of 3-1 pass vs run should have us at 15 rushing TDS and 44 passing
  • 400 yards per game (league average 60% pass) 4080 yards
So 4000+ yards and 40+ touchdowns are my expectations.

Keep.Tua.Healthy.

I was waiting for someone to break it out - but since I don't see it - here is how it can go down...

Hill - 1,600
Waddle - 1300
Berrios - 400
Chosen - 400
C. Wilson - 400
Smythe - 200
Mostert - 300
Achane - 300
J. Wilson - 200
Others - 200
Total - 5,100 yards

If Tyreek explodes for 2K - it will definitely happen.

Yes there’s maybe 10 qbs in the league that couldn’t throw for 5k yards in todays league if given enough opportunities . It’s not impressive anymore. What Dan did in 84 is the modern day equivalent of maybe 6500 yards and 65 tds especially with the added game.
This....so much this! 5000+ yards was unheard of when Marino did it....so much so, it didn't happen again for another 20+ years! Not saying the QB's today aren't talented, it's just that the rules today allow for a lot more eye popping stats from QB's and receivers. Like you said, when someone throws for 6000+ yards in today's game it will be equivalent to Dan's 5000+ yards in '84.

👆👆

This. over and over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom