If Lucas Falters In Green Bay....the Dolphins Must Bring In A Veteran Qb. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Lucas Falters In Green Bay....the Dolphins Must Bring In A Veteran Qb.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I really believe right now.....that the mindset of the coaching staff and the entire locker room is rallying behind RAY LUCAS right now to come out against the Packers and show the entire football world that his last perfromance against the BILLS was just an abberation......there is no question that RAY still has that locker room behind him.....there are certainly no RAY-BASHERS in there.....and that does make a nice statement.....that this team is NOT shaken...and it certainly is not about to unravel.....at least not yet.

Now though......the pressure still has to mount on the psyche of one...RAY LUCAS. Since this last game has ended.....I can't remember any one particular individual player on the Dolphins being so ridiculed by the fans. You just have to wonder just how much thick skin RAY has right now. I personally....as a DOlphin fan.....feel sorry for him.....but at the same time.....RAY has just got to take it like a man...and which he is....for accepting the responsibility for that performance. You have to respect the man for what he has said...all week.....he did not pass the buck at all...and took it all on himself. You know that went a long ways in the locker room....and I think just about everyone in that locker room is praying for RAY when they travel to Green BAY. He does not even have to play great....he just has to play smart. Everyone believes if RAY can just protect the darn football.....the Dolphins will have their shot at winning this ballgame. But the main question and the unknown right now......even though his teammates are thouroughly behind him..... there is some real jitterness in the DOlphins hierchy right now.....particularly RICK SPIELMAN.

SPIELMAN won't come out and say it.....but I have heard that he was in a choice of words....."shell-shocked" after witnessing LUCAS' performance against the Bills. This has been a very tough week for SPIELMAN.....having to deal with the ORONDE situiation....the CHRIS CARTER deal....and since this past game has ended.....SPIELMAN has taken no chances either with the possibility that RAY LUCAS may just not be the DOlphins answer as starting QB. Everyone has heard today.....that SPIELMAN....this after one week of seeing RAY....which is important to note....from a confidence standpoint... that he has compiled a list and has start calling potential veteran Qb's who are out there.....just in case.

And that is just in case...... LUCAS repeats anywhere near that type of performance against the PACKERS. Everyone pretty much knows there are pretty slim pickings out there right now at QB. But SPielman has them all plotted.....and from what I understand.......his leading candidate would be to try and persuade none other than ELVIS GRBAC to come out of retirement....if he were indeed interested in playing in Miami. Grabac had previously stated that he wanted to only play for the CLEVELAND BROWNS. Like I stated....Spielman is plotting....but he will not go forward with anything or anybody....until he comes back and sees how RAY plays against the Packers. But it is apparent to all....RICK SPIELMAN doesn't waste any time whatsoever.....I think he is doing the right thing also. I don't think anyone really knows.....how RAY LUCAS rebounds from a game like that.....its going to take some big grapefruits for RAY just to put aside all the negativism and skepticism about him....for the next 10 days. Like I said.....everyone....inlcluding SPIELMAN wants to see RAY come out...and manage this offense to the point of victory.....but what if he does not? What if....RAY comes out and throws an INT or fumbles a handoff right off the first series? At the same time.....RAY looked like an ALL-PRO on that first drive against BUFFALO...did he not? We just don't know what is going to happen.....but the bottom line here....is that SPIELMAN will have no choice but to act....if RAY does hit rock-bottom in this game.....even if RAY plays OK....what if the DOlphins lose this game....on a critical mistake made by LUCAS? What if RAY plays well....and the Dolphins still lose the game. Does SPEILMAN still reach for another veteran QB?

Lots of unanswered questions......but so many little answers as well. I mean....look what is out there. ELVIS...BANKS....RYPIEN...GEORGE...CUNNINGHAM...and lastly TROY AIKMAN.

Its going to be interesting IF and only IF RAY plays poorly again.....IF TROY AIKMAN will come out and say something to the media....through FOX.....that he would be willing to "come out and play again.....but only for NORV TURNER"....something to the liking of that. That would immediately trigger the media to go directly to NORV and to WANNY for a direct.....YES...we may be interested....or NO...we are not interested statement. Lots of people say that if NORV did in fact call TROY to come out and play.....he would definately consider it....and probably would. Recently....his agent LEIGH STEINBERG....who also represents RICKY....said that TROY may still want to play under the right circumstances.....and that only means one team...and one coach.....the DOphins and NORV. Its all hypothetical...but one more bad game for LUCAS.....you know the medial will go to TROY...immediately for a response on his desire to want to play for the DOlphins.

Thats my take on this situation.....I pray for LUCAS to play well.....and hopefully.....everything pertaining to this post....goes out the window for the time being. But the play of RAY LUCAS is now in the microscope.....and in essence....so is the MIAMI DOLPHINS 2002 season now at stake.

From a fans point... I don't think anyone on this FINHEAVEN board.....knows what to expect this upcoming game against the Packers..... from RAY LUCAS.

Like RICK SPIELMAN.....we all hope....but if RAY falters again.....you just have to do whatever you can...to save this season. And that means bringing in another veteran Qb in here...immediately. ANd Spielman can't give a damn about how the locker room feels about RAY......his job is to give WANNY and his staff....the best chance to win football games..

Spielman will give RAY the benefit of the doubt this upcoming game.....he will be there....he will be evaluating. And hopefully....he will put that list of available Qb's in his back pocket after the game.

Again....HOPEFULLY.

DCH

Elvis would probably be your best option out of that bunch. The rest suck.

I think this is the first time it is better for this team to play a road game. MNF might be the great equalizer but with out the many Lucas bashers that would be in the stands if this game was at home getting away is probably the best thing for Ray. I remember seeing that Rypien signed with a team a few weeks ago did he get cut already?

Thank you DCH, the situation will be very tense next week in preparation for the game. Ray is hurt and the extent is not known. I hope for his and the club sake that he is able to have a decent game. If not, I agree they will bring in a vet. qb. since they have no confidence in our current back ups and the season is on the line. If we lose these games its going to be very hard for Jay to get us into the playoffs since less teams qualify this year.

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
I really believe right now.....that the mindset of the coaching staff and the entire locker room is rallying behind RAY LUCAS right now to come out against the Packers and show the entire football world that his last perfromance against the BILLS was just an abberation......there is no question that RAY still has that locker room behind him.....there are certainly no RAY-BASHERS in there.....and that does make a nice statement.....that this team is NOT shaken...and it certainly is not about to unravel.....at least not yet.

Now though......the pressure still has to mount on the psyche of one...RAY LUCAS. Since this last game has ended.....I can't remember any one particular individual player on the Dolphins being so ridiculed by the fans. You just have to wonder just how much thick skin RAY has right now. I personally....as a DOlphin fan.....feel sorry for him.....but at the same time.....RAY has just got to take it like a man...and which he is....for accepting the responsibility for that performance. You have to respect the man for what he has said...all week.....he did not pass the buck at all...and took it all on himself. You know that went a long ways in the locker room....and I think just about everyone in that locker room is praying for RAY when they travel to Green BAY. He does not even have to play great....he just has to play smart. Everyone believes if RAY can just protect the darn football.....the Dolphins will have their shot at winning this ballgame. But the main question and the unknown right now......even though his teammates are thouroughly behind him..... there is some real jitterness in the DOlphins hierchy right now.....particularly RICK SPIELMAN.

SPIELMAN won't come out and say it.....but I have heard that he was in a choice of words....."shell-shocked" after witnessing LUCAS' performance against the Bills. This has been a very tough week for SPIELMAN.....having to deal with the ORONDE situiation....the CHRIS CARTER deal....and since this past game has ended.....SPIELMAN has taken no chances either with the possibility that RAY LUCAS may just not be the DOlphins answer as starting QB. Everyone has heard today.....that SPIELMAN....this after one week of seeing RAY....which is important to note....from a confidence standpoint... that he has compiled a list and has start calling potential veteran Qb's who are out there.....just in case.

And that is just in case...... LUCAS repeats anywhere near that type of performance against the PACKERS. Everyone pretty much knows there are pretty slim pickings out there right now at QB. But SPielman has them all plotted.....and from what I understand.......his leading candidate would be to try and persuade none other than ELVIS GRBAC to come out of retirement....if he were indeed interested in playing in Miami. Grabac had previously stated that he wanted to only play for the CLEVELAND BROWNS. Like I stated....Spielman is plotting....but he will not go forward with anything or anybody....until he comes back and sees how RAY plays against the Packers. But it is apparent to all....RICK SPIELMAN doesn't waste any time whatsoever.....I think he is doing the right thing also. I don't think anyone really knows.....how RAY LUCAS rebounds from a game like that.....its going to take some big grapefruits for RAY just to put aside all the negativism and skepticism about him....for the next 10 days. Like I said.....everyone....inlcluding SPIELMAN wants to see RAY come out...and manage this offense to the point of victory.....but what if he does not? What if....RAY comes out and throws an INT or fumbles a handoff right off the first series? At the same time.....RAY looked like an ALL-PRO on that first drive against BUFFALO...did he not? We just don't know what is going to happen.....but the bottom line here....is that SPIELMAN will have no choice but to act....if RAY does hit rock-bottom in this game.....even if RAY plays OK....what if the DOlphins lose this game....on a critical mistake made by LUCAS? What if RAY plays well....and the Dolphins still lose the game. Does SPEILMAN still reach for another veteran QB?

Lots of unanswered questions......but so many little answers as well. I mean....look what is out there. ELVIS...BANKS....RYPIEN...GEORGE...CUNNINGHAM...and lastly TROY AIKMAN.

Its going to be interesting IF and only IF RAY plays poorly again.....IF TROY AIKMAN will come out and say something to the media....through FOX.....that he would be willing to "come out and play again.....but only for NORV TURNER"....something to the liking of that. That would immediately trigger the media to go directly to NORV and to WANNY for a direct.....YES...we may be interested....or NO...we are not interested statement. Lots of people say that if NORV did in fact call TROY to come out and play.....he would definately consider it....and probably would. Recently....his agent LEIGH STEINBERG....who also represents RICKY....said that TROY may still want to play under the right circumstances.....and that only means one team...and one coach.....the DOphins and NORV. Its all hypothetical...but one more bad game for LUCAS.....you know the medial will go to TROY...immediately for a response on his desire to want to play for the DOlphins.

Thats my take on this situation.....I pray for LUCAS to play well.....and hopefully.....everything pertaining to this post....goes out the window for the time being. But the play of RAY LUCAS is now in the microscope.....and in essence....so is the MIAMI DOLPHINS 2002 season now at stake.

From a fans point... I don't think anyone on this FINHEAVEN board.....knows what to expect this upcoming game against the Packers..... from RAY LUCAS.

Like RICK SPIELMAN.....we all hope....but if RAY falters again.....you just have to do whatever you can...to save this season. And that means bringing in another veteran Qb in here...immediately. ANd Spielman can't give a damn about how the locker room feels about RAY......his job is to give WANNY and his staff....the best chance to win football games..

Spielman will give RAY the benefit of the doubt this upcoming game.....he will be there....he will be evaluating. And hopefully....he will put that list of available Qb's in his back pocket after the game.

Again....HOPEFULLY.

DCH

I agree with most of it but "I can't remember any one particular individual player on the Dolphins being so ridiculed by the fans."...come on now. Fiedler has been more ridiculed, even when we win, then I have ever seen a player ridiculed.

The crowd was patient way into the second half. I can tell you exactly when the crowd turned around.

I bet Fiedler will be back after 4 orf 5 weeks. He stated as much as that he wants his cast off after 3 weeks. I wonder if we should not rather put Sage in IF Lucas has a similar game (which I hope he has not). The only upside a veteran QB has is maybe calmness....but he also has to learn at least portions of the playbook which I think will be almost impossible in a week's time.

If Aikman came out and said he wanted the job, it would be a PR nightmare for him. I really don't think he would be the best option anyway. I would rather take a look at Cunningham and see what kind of shape he is in.

Originally posted by Dajesus
I think this is the first time it is better for this team to play a road game. MNF might be the great equalizer but with out the many Lucas bashers that would be in the stands if this game was at home getting away is probably the best thing for Ray. I remember seeing that Rypien signed with a team a few weeks ago did he get cut already?

Where is all that Ray basher stuff coming from...there was no booing until he a) threw his little antics on the sideline and on the field and b) until he began to clap hands and being all hyped up after yet another near INT...which was well into the second half.

One big aspect of a quality NFL QBs is leadership and Ray had it all backwards. Ray had it all backwards.

But I doubt that a MNF game at GB is the right environment for him to "heal".

Originally posted by davster82
If Aikman came out and said he wanted the job, it would be a PR nightmare for him. I really don't think he would be the best option anyway. I would rather take a look at Cunningham and see what kind of shape he is in.

Honestly, I wouldn't go for another QB period.....

Fiedler is a fierce competitor.He stated as much as his cast will be off within 3 weeks. Give him a week or two to get back in play shape. You are looking at a GB for maybe 1 or 2 games.

If Lucas bombs again (which I doubt) then I rather see Sage bin there. Give him reps on that underneath, short amd medium stuff and let him manage the O.

At the rate our D is going right now allwe need is a game manager. Sage can do that, plus he knows the playbook.

I read this moring that Lucas is not even practicing because of a hip pointer.. this is not good news at all.. he needs to get back out there throwing the football and getting in sync with the O... The more time he gets in practice the faster his decision process will be.. he needs to be out there.

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
I read this moring that Lucas is not even practicing because of a hip pointer.. this is not good news at all.. he needs to get back out there throwing the football and getting in sync with the O... The more time he gets in practice the faster his decision process will be.. he needs to be out there.

Since his problems in my eyes was always accuracy and touch this seems like a problem that he can't practice. Yet, his main problems. I thought, were that he was not composed. He was way overconfident after the 1st drive and then quickly uncomposed when things went downhill. As a QB you have to be calm. You can not unravel like he did nor can you ever think you have the opponent wrapped up.

You can not teach that in practice. You need to do that emotionally. And you can learn that only in game like situations.

The good thing though is...the coaches see what Sage could do.

I agree.. I would rather see Sage out there then bringing in a vet.. I see no point in bringing in someone else.. If Jay was out for the season then I would say yeah.. but by the time someone learns the O Jay will be back... unless you could bring in someone that already knows this offense.. then maybe... but who out there knows it besides Troy?

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
I agree.. I would rather see Sage out there then bringing in a vet.. I see no point in bringing in someone else.. If Jay was out for the season then I would say yeah.. but by the time someone learns the O Jay will be back... unless you could bring in someone that already knows this offense.. then maybe... but who out there knows it besides Troy?

The only QB I would sign is another 3rd QB. Oops we already did that.

So, I would not sign a QB at all.

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Elvis would probably be your best option out of that bunch. The rest suck.

I agree...Grbac would be our best bet....he's a poor mans Rich Gannon...I wouldnt like to bring Aikman here....you thought Carter was out of shape....Imagine Aikman....all those Hot Dogs and hamburgers up in that booth.

Originally posted by BigDoug
Wasn't Rich Gannon a poor man's Joe Montana?
I thought Jay Fiedler was a poor man's Rich Gannon :lol:

Back
Top Bottom