If McD Keeps Four Spots For Running Backs... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If McD Keeps Four Spots For Running Backs...

OK, I have to ask, when has Doaks shown anything? You can say he hasn't had the opportunity, and I would agree with that. You can say you like an underdog story, and I can empathize. But to say he is a better "between the tackles" thumper than Michel, is making a statement with no supporting evidence.

Ahmed is definitely faster/quicker than Gaskin, but he is not as complete, and redundant in this running back room, IMO.

The only case you could really make is that Doaks has less wear and tear, so if you were really only looking for a reliable guy to push the pile a yard or two I could see the benefit in having less wear on those tires.

That said I haven't even seen Doaks enough to say he can do that nor do I know the role Sony will play for us, whether it's a healthy number of carries or just a situational bruiser.

Top 3 are locks, IMO: Edmonds, Mostert and Michel. 4th is still ongoing battle, with Gaskin and Ahmed the frontrunners. Next 2 weeks we’ll see a clear winner coming out on top.

I’ve seen a lot of tweets where Ahmed has had big plays in training camp, but Gaskin had that one big run in the Bucs game, so it’s about even I’d guess. I think we’ll end up keeping Ahmed, since this offense prioritizes speed and outside runs.

White goes to practice squad, Gaskin and Doaks cut.

I think McD might want to keep an extra RB on the staff because he saw how quickly injuries can decimate your RB's last season. The only reason Deebo had such a prominent role in the running game the second half of the season last year was because pretty much all of the other Niner RB's were injured.

He had 4 RBs on last year's 49ers 53.

Good point. I would love to roll with 3 backs and a FB so we can use that extra roster spot elsewhere, but you may be right that out of cautiousness we go with 4 backs and a FB.

The one wild card is putting Ahmed and maybe even White (or another back cut elsewhere) on the PS. I am not sure Ahmed gets poached, at least initially, and that gives you an extra spot. In other words, you could be comfortable with 3 rb's and a FB on the 53, knowing you have Ahmed on the PS.

Good point. I would love to roll with 3 backs and a FB so we can use that extra roster spot elsewhere, but you may be right that out of cautiousness we go with 4 backs and a FB.

The one wild card is putting Ahmed and maybe even White (or another back cut elsewhere) on the PS. I am not sure Ahmed gets poached, at least initially, and that gives you an extra spot. In other words, you could be comfortable with 3 rb's and a FB on the 53, knowing you have Ahmed on the PS.
My current guess is that Edmonds- Moster- Michel- Ingold are locks. I have Ahmed as the most likely 4th. He's a better fit and cheaper than Gaskin. I imagine they are working hard to find a trade partner for Gaskin. I figure White and maybe Doaks goes to the practice squad. I also wouldn't be surprised if Lockett went to the practice squad. The practice squad is larger and more flexible now so you can stash more players there.

edit: BTW I don't think keeping 4 RBs is a lock.

I really don't think we keep 4 rbs as I don't think we have the luxury because I think we keep 3 qbs but I'll play the game. Gaskin is way too much money for a bottom of the roster guy, might as well have the upside of the unknown in Zaquandre.

Edmonds
Mostert
Michel
White (I think in reality he goes to the practice squad with maybe Ahmed)

Currently, I have the 'phins only keeping 3 RBs and 1 FB, with Doaks and White on the PC to cover injuries.

That fourth RB on the active roster probably isn't needed. Unless that guy plays a LOT of special teams snaps, he's a 3 snaps per game guy and we just don't need that.

If we happen to keep Bowden... then I'm even more convinced that this is the right way to go. He could and has played from the RB spot if we had a couple of in-game injuries.

When given the chance at the end of the year, Duke Johnson ran better behind that pathetic o-line than any other RB on the roster. I still don't understand why he's gone, yet they still have Doaks and Ahmad.
Yeah, agree that one is still a head scratcher. Fans loved the Duke and he produced!

Currently, I have the 'phins only keeping 3 RBs and 1 FB, with Doaks and White on the PC to cover injuries.

That fourth RB on the active roster probably isn't needed. Unless that guy plays a LOT of special teams snaps, he's a 3 snaps per game guy and we just don't need that.

If we happen to keep Bowden... then I'm even more convinced that this is the right way to go. He could and has played from the RB spot if we had a couple of in-game injuries.
That's a good point with Bowden. I know the roster will be tight, but I'd be surprised though if they'd jettison both Ahmed and Gaskin.

I like Gaskins and think he might make on to another roster but this staff need backs who can break tackles and block. Gaskins can do neither. Sony is the power back for 3rd and short and understands the game better than anyone we have had. He doesn't make mistakes. Edmunds will be the starter and Mostert will be change of pace. Ahmed makes it over Gaskins, with Doaks gone. Maybe we can get something for Gaskins in a trade.

Back
Top Bottom