If Miami Is Bad Enough To Get The First Overall Pick In The 2020 Draft... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami Is Bad Enough To Get The First Overall Pick In The 2020 Draft...

Should Flores be kept if Miami has the worst record in the NFL?

• Yes

Votes: 136 90.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 9.9%

• Total voters
I feel like if this team was to shock people and win 9 games fans would bitch up a storm because they weren't bad enough. The fans want them to have a bad year but now we are questioning whether or not he should be fired for having a bad year coaching, SMDH.

If we are Cam Cameron level bad then yes. While we are at it get rid of Grier. Draft a qb , new gm and a new coach, my ultimate dream off season.
I was going to post something similar. I agree a Cam Cameron level of competence, to me, would warrant being fired after just one season. But I'm of the belief, Flores is the real deal. I also believe the entire F/O structure is finally in the correct form and has some very experienced and keen talent evaluators on hand.

As a GM, I dont see how you fire a coach after giving him Charles Harris as his best pass rusher, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh Rosen as his QBs and Tunsil as his only relevant OL... I mean if thats you trying to put a winning team on the field, then you should fire yourself... But I suspect this season isnt about wins and losses, if thats the case then everyone gets a free pass... If they really believe they can win with that roster, then let them burn this season and fire everyone before they can **** up next off-season...

There will be no firing (of the coaching staff) based on this season. The roster is too bereft at the most important positions.

However the chances are that if the Dolphins are bad enough this year to claim the #1 overall pick, then the Flores staff may ultimately be doomed.

History is not with coaches who lead their team to 2-14 records, in an NFL marked by parity, injuries, poor road teams, etc. This is just a historical fact. You can't predict the future exclusively based on the past but the past is a pretty powerful teacher.

Some mitigating factors in all this are a series of maneuvers that seem to only be justifiable if you truly don't care about winning year one, which means that circumstances with this team may be slightly different than all those other teams that went 2-14 or 1-15 or 0-16 over the years.

For example, I noted that Bobby McCain playing free safety is a good way to have your defense play solid football on 75 of 80 snaps during the game, but still have the opponent ring up a 30 points, because you trusted a 5'9" career slot corner who ranked #96 of 133 at his position last year in missed tackle efficiency to be a last line of defense against the big pass and big run. This is something you probably don't do if you really are putting pressure to win football games in 2019. But because you don't care, you're afforded the ability to say, **** it why not.

As CK has said multiple times to be first pick you will not be 5-11 or 4-12 so that's the issue most of us want Tua but if we are 1-15 we have lots of problems

The whole value of a coach is whether you can bring out the talent and execution of your current roster relative to the talent on it. We currently have the worst roster in the NFL so even if he was average then it's status quo and we'd still end up picking first and he obviously stays.

The only scenario where Flores doesn't make it into next year is if he loses the locker room and looks completely incompetent, something which probably won't happen.

Keep in mind that if you fired a dude after only one season for being bad when you gave him a horrible roster to work with, you're guaranteeing that your next coach will be a bottom of the barrel candidate begging for a job, because any good coach worth their salt looking for a job would stay far away from this franchise.

I won't judge him on W's and L's. I'm 90% inclined to keep him because I like his approach. However, if he does some bizarre and erratic stuff like Cam Cameron did or some other ex Pat assistants who are too big for their britches -- which I do not expect -- that would be the one exception. I think 3 years minimum is what we need to assess barring an obvious showing of incompetence.

If Miami is bad enough to get the first overall pick in the 2020 draft, does this coaching staff deserve to stay?

Miami's roster is arguably the worst in the NFL. If Miami somehow gets 5 or more wins, it speaks volumes to what this coaching staff can accomplish. But an overachieving team can ruin draft position.

Even being devoid of a lot of talent, would you blame the coaching staff if Miami had the worst record in the NFL? And if they do, does it make sense to keep a coaching staff that led a team to the worst record?

Comment what you think Miami's record will be in 2019. I'm saying 5-11.
do you expect him to not have the worst record with this roster?

Isn't that kind of the expectation, though? I don't think management is expecting more than five wins. Clearly, this is a rebuild.

The coaching staff is safe, but that would likely doom Rosen as a starter in Miami. If the Dolphins get the first pick it will be a quarterback.

Could you elaborate on Grier, I don't see anything that warrants him being on the chopping block. I personally believe we couldn't of asked for much better moves to be made, everything being considered wit the state of the team. I understand he has been a part of this team which he should hold some responsibility for this mess, but nobody knows definitively what culpability he should hold.

You are correct we dont know exactly who to blame for these past drafts but Grier has been here the entire time we have been drafting badly. First as a scout and then as the head of scouting and now the GM.

He would need to come out with some very good drafts for me to give him a pass. If we still have a horrible oline by next years draft and are looking to draft a brand new oline... then he needs to go because he doesnt know how to fix this team.

If Drew Lock or Dwayne Haskins turn out to be steals in this last draft, it will mark another instance where he slipped up and another reason for a pink slip.

No one can tell how this offseason went yet but we should have a much better idea by next year. For me, this guy should definitely be in the hotseat if none of these guys in the later rounds or udfa's pan out.

It’s going to take some injuries to be the worst. I still expect Arizona to be a dumpster fire and claim the #1 pick again.

Back
Top Bottom