If Miami moved Byron Jones to safety??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami moved Byron Jones to safety???

gregorygrant83

Active Roster
Reaction score
If Noah Igbinoghene makes a big leap and looks like a promising young corner in training camp would Miami's best secondary pairing be Noah and Howard at the corners and Byron Jones and Javon Holland at the safety spots? Seems like of all the possible options this would best grouping and Miami would still have depth and options with McCourty, Coleman, Brandon Jones, Rowe and Needham in reserve.

If Noah Igbinoghene makes a big leap and looks like a promising young corner in training camp would Miami's best secondary pairing be Noah and Howard at the corners and Byron Jones and Javon Holland at the safety spots? Seems like of all the possible options this would best grouping and Miami would still have depth and options with McCourty, Coleman, Brandon Jones, Rowe and Needham in reserve.
I understand the philosophy of trying to get the best players on the field. I don't know that moving a very good cover corner to safety is the way though, particularly when you have some good options that are actually safeties.

Byron did play safety early in his career, so who knows. That's a lot of jack to pay a FS, not that Flo would decide on that basis.

With "flexibility" being one of Flo's key mantras, I could see packages where Iggy takes a man assignment, with Jones dropping into a safety role. Probably not a steady thing.

I understand the philosophy of trying to get the best players on the field. I don't know that moving a very good cover corner to safety is the way though, particularly when you have some good options that are actually safeties.

Byron did play safety early in his career, so who knows. That's a lot of jack to pay a FS, not that Flo would decide on that basis.

With "flexibility" being one of Flo's key mantras, I could see packages where Iggy takes a man assignment, with Jones dropping into a safety role. Probably not a steady thing.
Part of my thinking is igbinoghenne is more of a boundry corner than a slot guy, so the only way he's going to reach his potential is to get a lot of snaps on the boundry. As you satated Jones has experience at safety and is very good at it. In the nickle package Miami would have lots of options like bringing Rowe in and moving Holland to the slot or bringing in Coleman, Needham. or McCourty to play the slot. I actually think of Miami's five 1st round picks from 2019 and 2020 (Tua, Noah, Jackson, Waddle and Phillips) need to be the core of the team in a few years so getting then as much playing time as possible is important.

I wasn't overly impressed with Jones in coverage...

Stats be damned, when I saw the ball going to his man it was usually a positive play.

That's just what my eyes saw....

Stats be damned, when I saw the ball going to his man it was usually a positive play.

i agree. he doesn't seem like a dog to me. howard is. iggy could be. but honestly jones seems like he is just a really good athlete that is happy to be out there, but is missing that fight for greatness.

I’d see him moving to nickel more then safety..

For this upcoming year, I can see Noah either replace Howard or Jones in a frequent rotation to keep each more fresh. I also think we were fortunate that Howard didn't miss games due to his knees. IF we can make this rotation work our guys should handle every receiver group in the league.

Next year: IF Noah makes the leap this year, then Grier can wheel and deal and juggle the salary cap with Howard and/or Jones.

Don't adhear to the "norm" about who "starts" in the defensive backfield for us.

Flo uses more dbacks then any other defensive scheme I have ever seen.

It's game plan specific and very situational.

In this defense the top four S and top four CB could all start at some point because we start off in nickel, etc.

As far as Jones and moving him. The price Tag dictates this. He is being paid as a top notch boundary and he ain't moving until Noah or someone else knocks him off that perch. Which I think is unlikely this season.

About the only thing guaranteed IMHO is that X and Jones are on the boundary. I could see Needham or Noah at the nickle but don't count out Perry, they like him. Holland also played the nickel and played it well in college.

A ton of versatility in that group. Rowe as the TE shadow and more frequent in the box S seems logical to me. Jones def can tackle but have not seen him really excel in coverage just yet. Think Rowe sticks.

One other thing is for certain, we do not have a single player who can play FS outside of hopefully Holland.

Think Hooker is still a depth option here. But we must have a true center fielding free safety to run this scheme. McCain was much more of a cap decision than "play" decision contrary to what many on here believe.

I guess I am just rambling. But I love the raw talent on the back end. Time for Flo to do what he does best and nurture and develope it. We sure have thrown enough resources at it.

Side note (or course).

If Gink takes this next step we hope, Phillips stays healthy and McKinney gives us the thump in the middle.....the front 7 could actually be the strength of this team.

Which only means good things for the back end.

Compared to X. Howard all other DBS seem that way.

The defense got significantly better when he came in.

Haha. That is a BIG if.
I am not gonna worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom