If Miami moved Byron Jones to safety??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami moved Byron Jones to safety???

Jones quietly blanketed his man more often than not. Teams did not hit a lot of deep outside plays against us last year.
I don't know about that. Dolphins were worst in the league in defensive yards per completion. Noah was last in the league of any cornerback in yards allowed per target. Byron Jones had the worst numbers of anyone who was targeted 60 times or more, allowing 17.6 yards per completion and 10.6 yards per target.

All of those numbers are sortable at links like this:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/defense_advanced.htm

Our defense last year managed plenty of key turnovers which proved pivotal in a few games, notably at midseason when Tua took over. Somehow it equated to assertions of a great defense and unlike the offensive line nobody bothered to notice the distinct decline and all the flaws.

Turnovers typically are unsustainable. When you lead the league with 18 interceptions and 29 turnovers it's not supposed to equate to a terrible YPPA Differential of -.7 and missing the playoffs.

I don't know about that. Dolphins were worst in the league in defensive yards per completion. Noah was last in the league of any cornerback in yards allowed per target. Byron Jones had the worst numbers of anyone who was targeted 60 times or more, allowing 17.6 yards per completion and 10.6 yards per target.

Our defense last year managed plenty of key turnovers which proved pivotal in a few games, notably at midseason when Tua took over. Somehow it equated to assertions of a great defense and unlike the offensive line nobody bothered to notice the distinct decline and all the flaws.

Turnovers typically are unsustainable. When you lead the league with 18 interceptions and 29 turnovers it's not supposed to equate to a terrible YPPA Differential of -.7 and missing the playoffs.
Man that doesn’t match up to the eyeball recollection but it is what it is I guess. I just don’t recall a lot of over the top completions on the outside. Dang.

Jones was horrible in Dallas when he played Safety.
What Jones played in Dallas and what he would be asked to do in Miami at the safety position are two completely different things.

The only safety role I could see Byron playing here is the TE eraser role that Rowe is currently responsible for. Ironically, I think there’s a chance Iggy could wind up in that role given how physical he is.

Jones was horrible in Dallas when he played Safety.

I wouldn't say horrible but he was average at best there.
Never had a great feeling for playing in open space for zone coverage. IMO he excelled when he was moved to corner and told to chase rather than sit in a zone.

While still at safety he was best when he would be asked to play man vs TE/slot

If Iggy gets to be that good then I could see them moving Howard instead of Jones and I mean trading Howard(not saying I want them to) but with his injuries in the past and al the money they have invested at corner sooner or later they will have to make a move.

What Jones played in Dallas and what he would be asked to do in Miami at the safety position are two completely different things.

The only safety role I could see Byron playing here is the TE eraser role that Rowe is currently responsible for. Ironically, I think there’s a chance Iggy could wind up in that role given how physical he is.
I doubt it, do to the run support requirements of that position. He may be physical enough, but that has nothing to do with knowledge of playing the position.

Even Rowe, who had far more NFL experience commented he was still learning that aspect, well into his second year there.

If anyone takes Rowe's snaps, it will likely be Brandon Jones, IMO.

I doubt it, do to the run support requirements of that position. He may be physical enough, but that has nothing to do with knowledge of playing the position.

Even Rowe, who had far more NFL experience commented he was still learning that aspect, well into his second year there.

If anyone takes Rowe's snaps, it will likely be Brandon Jones, IMO.
Of course there would be a learning curve for any player in a new position, especially one that has unique roles and responsibilities. I’m also not saying either of these guys will be playing this role this year. My point is that Byron is built for that role best as a bigger CB who can high point with the best of them. As he ages and loses a step, he would be much better suited for that role than CF/single high FS.

Lets not act like Rowe was or is a physical run defender prior to his stint in this role. He certainly wasn’t familiar with running lanes (as you mentioned) prior either. Byron is a much better tackler at this point than Rowe was prior to focusing on it to save his career

I wonder if Will Fuller could be moved to RB ?? He is fast and could catch out of the backfield. (eye roll)
Come on people, Jones was/is considered one of the best CBs in the league. Every DB gets beat some times but he was very solid last year. Too often we don't know the calls and just see the closest player. Maybe the CB had outside leverage was passing the WR off to the safety and the safety wasn't where he was supposed to be. In today's NFL, defensive game plans are often player and situ specific. It isn't as easy as just saying "oh this was single high so this guy messed up". A CB works with the safety on his side of the field and often times LBs as well. Does anyone ever ask why we dropped the safety on Byron's side of the field?? I really liked McCain but maybe we don't know the whole story. Maybe he was the one who made many of the mistakes we blame Byron for ?? Just a thought, I'm not a coach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once...

Jmo I wasn’t high on Jones at safety when he was coming out, it kind of made sense to me why Dallas made him switch to corner but I can honestly say I didn’t study him with us last year..numbers don’t look good so I hope to see improvement from him

I wonder if Will Fuller could be moved to RB ?? He is fast and could catch out of the backfield. (eye roll)
Come on people, Jones was/is considered one of the best CBs in the league. Every DB gets beat some times but he was very solid last year. Too often we don't know the calls and just see the closest player. Maybe the CB had outside leverage was passing the WR off to the safety and the safety wasn't where he was supposed to be. In today's NFL, defensive game plans are often player and situ specific. It isn't as easy as just saying "oh this was single high so this guy messed up". A CB works with the safety on his side of the field and often times LBs as well. Does anyone ever ask why we dropped the safety on Byron's side of the field?? I really liked McCain but maybe we don't know the whole story. Maybe he was the one who made many of the mistakes we blame Byron for ?? Just a thought, I'm not a coach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once...
My post said nothing about Smith's play at corner. I'm saying if Igbinoghene grows into shutdown corner this season, it would make more sense to me to start Igbinoghenne and Howard and move Jones to safety than it would to start Igbinoghene and Howard and have Jones on the bench or trying to limit playing Jones in the slot in nickle packages. The key is if Igbinoghene's play exceeds or nears the level of Jones. That's not to say Jones is a good or even great corner, but Igbinoghenne has the potential to reach that level too. Miami invested a first round pick in Noah and you don't see too many first round picks that aren't given a shot at starting at some point during their first two or three seasons. I could see if you drafted a player high and they struggle and just don't seem to have it, but usually if you're a high pick and you show promise you're going to get a shot at the postion you were drafted for and Noah was drafted as a boundry corner. As for Jones playing safety, this is way different from moving a rb to wr on a weem. Jones has played safety and was drafted as a corner that many thought would eventual move to the safety spot and that safety might be his best role in the NFL.

Last edited:
The Dolphins signed Jones to play CB. They drafted Brandon Jones in 2020 and Holland this year to be their future safeties. I would assume either B. Jones or Holland will start opposite Rowe next season with the one not starting being the third safety on the roster.

If Iggy wants playing time in 2021, he will have to win the slot CB position or fill in if Jones or Howard are injured. Because the Dolphins aren’t going to move Jones to safety to make room for Iggy as one of the outside starting CB’s.

They did get burned quite a bit last year. They were also left out on an island more than any other team I saw play. Flores gambled a lot in order to generate pressure, and more often than not was successful. The times he wasn't this team was one misstep away from giving up a touchdown.

Has anyone in the Dolphins organization actually said that Byron Jones is being evaluated to play safety or is this entire post just a speculative figment of the OP's imagination? Byron Jones is paid top $ because he is an extremely good CB who competes well with every opponent on every single play. BTW - he still holds the standing broad jump world record of 12 feet 3 inches that he set at his NFL Combine in 2015. Think about that for a moment, he is the very definition of an elite athlete.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom