If Miami moved Byron Jones to safety??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami moved Byron Jones to safety???

The Dolphins signed Jones to play CB. They drafted Brandon Jones in 2020 and Holland this year to be their future safeties. I would assume either B. Jones or Holland will start opposite Rowe next season with the one not starting being the third safety on the roster.

If Iggy wants playing time in 2021, he will have to win the slot CB position or fill in if Jones or Howard are injured. Because the Dolphins aren’t going to move Jones to safety to make room for Iggy as one of the outside starting CB’s.
So you're saying you would still start Jones of Noah even if Noahout plays him in camp or preaseason. I think whoever the top two corners are they should be your two starters regardless of what Jones is being paid.

So you're saying you would still start Jones of Noah even if Noahout plays him in camp or preaseason. I think whoever the top two corners are they should be your two starters regardless of what Jones is being paid.
Flores is going to play the best player at the position. At this point Jones has shown to be a much better CB compared to Iggy. In fact Iggy has to prove first that he can outplay a slot CB who was an UDFA two years ago.

I hope Iggy turns into a quality CB in the NFL eventually but I just don’t see him being a starting outside CB for the Dolphins next season. Unless the Dolphins trade Howard before the season or Jones or Howard are injured and miss playing time next season.

Noah is playing scared, he looks like a safety, his hips are stiff he's still backup material.

Noah is playing scared, he looks like a safety, his hips are stiff he's still backup material.
Noah got toasted and looked pretty awful. But let’s hope the kid gets coached up to be a solid contributor

No…I also like the idea of Brandon Jones and Holland at safety….We also are paying to much for Byron to move him, doesn’t make sense right now.

If you want to catch up to Buffalo and KC, it is mandatory that we significantly improve our pass D. Flores agrees, based on the attention he gave pass rusher and secondary in the off-season. I wouldn’t say it’s all the way there but we should be improved in pass D.

Among other things, the slot was a hot mess last year. It will be interesting to see how they adjust for that. We picked up Coleman. I have no idea if he’s an upgrade. Holland could go there or will he cover the back end at free safety? Can Iggy play there? No evidence yet that he can. How much was scheme? We had guys at times over-hedging depending on where help was, and it was so exaggerated that it was an easy read for the offense for chunk plays. I hope that’s all corrected.

The pass rush relied on some gimmicks. Can it straight up beat people more often with Phillips and an emerging Van Ginkel, among others? That’s important too. One more year adding fortifications to the D and we could have a championship level defense.

Yes, he got toasted too often but I disagree on his physical ability. I think he’s a superb athlete. I don’t think he was there mentally. For example, he was one who would over hedge and was beaten before the snap at times. IMO he was more ”lost” than physically deficient. He is working his rear end off this off-season so let’s see this year. Maybe you’re right about his hips. It bears watching. But I didn’t perceive it that way.

He was a first round pick. We can’t baby him forever. Let’s hope he takes a huge step forward. He can help alot if he can get himself together.

I don't know about that. Dolphins were worst in the league in defensive yards per completion. Noah was last in the league of any cornerback in yards allowed per target. Byron Jones had the worst numbers of anyone who was targeted 60 times or more, allowing 17.6 yards per completion and 10.6 yards per target.

All of those numbers are sortable at links like this:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/defense_advanced.htm

Our defense last year managed plenty of key turnovers which proved pivotal in a few games, notably at midseason when Tua took over. Somehow it equated to assertions of a great defense and unlike the offensive line nobody bothered to notice the distinct decline and all the flaws.

Turnovers typically are unsustainable. When you lead the league with 18 interceptions and 29 turnovers it's not supposed to equate to a terrible YPPA Differential of -.7 and missing the playoffs.
They also blitzed far more than most teams….Jones is fine!

Jones can play the slot.

So, if Noah ever beats him for the Outside corner spot he still has some value here as long as his athletics don't falter.

It'll be a good problem to have.

Back
Top Bottom