If Minkah can't handle Miami, we think Tua can? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Minkah can't handle Miami, we think Tua can?

This is the most lame thing I’ve read on here. If people think other college kids in the draft don’t have their parents hovering over them and wanting the best for their kids in the long run you must be pretty ignorant to the way a family works. To say one player in the draft is going by what his family wants is the dumbest thing I see on here. Of course the family is going to be in on the process, it’s how a supportive family works.

It’s also the nature of the culture he comes from. Asian and Pacific Islander families are well known for their structure, discipline and pressure they place on their children to achieve to the highest. I’m not saying I agree or subscribe to it, but I also recognize that it’s not uncommon within those cultures.

Most American raised folk won’t ever identify or understand.

So then we trade out of our picks, grab an oline maybe pass rusher and pick up another 2-3 first round picks in 2021. Maybe we grab Lawerence and Tua 1-2 in 2021.

Ending up with Chase Young as their top pick while possibly adding even more draft picks to the 2021 haul wouldn’t be a bad thing at all for this franchise.

Tua will not want to play here. I’m sure his dad won’t allow that either.

Why speculate when you have absolutely no idea?

I can speculate too.

Perhaps Tua’s dad will see an opportunity for his son to play for a franchise that once had the great Dan Marino leading its charge and still owns the only perfect record in league history.

He may see an opportunity for his son to lift the once great franchise out of the ashes at the same time the Patriots eventual HOF QB retires into the sunset further opening a door.

He may see an opportunity for a quick ascension with all the draft capital the team has the next few years.

He may appreciate how much the Dolphins believe in Tua by making all these moves to land him.

None of the above may be true or mean a thing. But two can play the speculation game.

This team's plan has been to trade players of value for the opportunity to draft their replacements that may have no value considering the utter incompetence of the front office. I know of not a single instance of a franchise trading away good, young players under cost control as if they were purging the roster of expensive, declining old guys. Chris Grier and his consigliere Reggie McKenzie are comically bad talent evaluators and their "plan" has no precedent. This team's dysfunction has been on parade for decades.
This is the first year this front office has been in power. Ross literally told us the plan the day he fired Gase. Marvin Allen is the best talent evaluator we’ve had since Jimmy and McKenzie is an experienced GM who has hit big on some picks.

This is an unprecedented tank/rebuild. You see dysfunction but I see the most high round picks over the next two years that possibly any team has ever had.

This is the first year this front office has been in power. Ross literally told us the plan the day he fired Gase. Marvin Allen is the best talent evaluator we’ve had since Jimmy and McKenzie is an experienced GM who has hit big on some picks.

This is an unprecedented tank/rebuild. You see dysfunction but I see the most high round picks over the next two years that possibly any team has ever had.

based on what....not trying to disagree, just curious why you say that

This team's plan has been to trade players of value for the opportunity to draft their replacements that may have no value considering the utter incompetence of the front office. I know of not a single instance of a franchise trading away good, young players under cost control as if they were purging the roster of expensive, declining old guys. Chris Grier and his consigliere Reggie McKenzie are comically bad talent evaluators and their "plan" has no precedent. This team's dysfunction has been on parade for decades.

Chris Grier has been no less than the Director of College Scouting since 2007. That means he and his scouts have prepared the prospectuses on which draft decisions have been made. This willingness to absolve Grier of culpability in how poorly this team has drafted for years is mind boggling. He was neck deep in the most important part of the process. As for McKenzie you better go back and look at his Raider drafts between 2012-17, because he had one good one, 2014, the rest were embarrassing.

Chris Grier has been no less than the Director of College Scouting since 2007. That means he and his scouts have prepared the prospectuses on which draft decisions have been made. This willingness to absolve Grier of culpability in how poorly this team has drafted for years is mind boggling. He was neck deep in the most important part of the process. As for McKenzie you better go back and look at his Raider drafts between 2012-17, because he had one good one, 2014, the rest were embarrassing.

the funny is thing is that if he was fired along with gase....their opinion of him would be completely opposite ... its just that hes here now

Chris grier and Reggie McKenzie are poor talent evaluators? That's strange considering Cooper, Mack, tunsil and fitzpatrick have netted a combined 6 first round picks in return the past two years. Plus the addition of Marvin Allen who has helped build the current chiefs juggernaut. You can't argue those three have no clue how to spot talent.

Your logic is very poor. We are to credit them with trading away their best players for the opportunity to draft inferior players and this is a strong argument to you? We take Fitzpatrick instead of Lamar Jackson last year, then turn around and trade him a year later because he wasn't a culture "fit", what happens when Flores is canned next year? You trade his replacement too

And curiously you mention only the very best players they selected. Here's a list of McKenzie's picks in the first 3-rounds of every draft in Oakland: Stefan Wisniewski, Terrelle Pryor, DeMarcus Van Dyck, Joseph Barksdale, Tony Bergstrom, DJ Hayden, Menelek Watson, Sio Moore, Khalil Mack, Derek Carr, Grady Jackson, Amari Cooper, Mario Edwards, Clive Walford, Karl Joseph, Jihad Ward, Shilique Calhoun, Gareon Conley, Obi Melifonwu and Eddie Vanderdoess. He took Mack and Cooper with top 4 picks, not a high degree of difficulty there and the Raiders reaped Josh Jacobs and Jonathon Abraham, a box safety for those picks. Proving once again what you get with these accumulated picks is usually less than you give up.

Based on early season play this year there's only two first round QBs; Tua & Herbert. Before the season I was a 100% Herbert guy. I still like him. His supporting cast leaves a lot to be desired but Tua has separated himself. Tua has Herbert & Lawrence beat when it comes to pre-snap reads, getting through his progressions quick, & delivering an accurate ball. The other two may have a stronger arm but Tua's arm is plenty strong enough & those other traits put him ahead of the others.

Lawrence has regressed this year. I don't know if all the media hype of him possibly being the best QB prospect since Luck has gone to his head & he thinks he can do no wrong but he's made quite a few questionable throws, bad reads, & forced throws so far this year. If he was in the same draft as Tua, Tua would be taken first.

There is no way to know if we’re going to hit on these picks or not. We’ve had some of the best football minds in the world drafting for us and have still failed to win a super bowl. Drafting players comes down to luck to a certain degree. However, the more picks you have, the better your odds are.

It is also not clear who Grier wanted to draft over the past few years because he ultimately did not have final say. What we do know is that as soon as Grier did get final say, he chose to tear down the entire roster and start over. Let’s just hope this works because what we’ve been trying to do certainly wasn’t working.

Watching that video does scares me a bit. His dad is looking at his son like a toy. To instill discipline is totally fine but some parents want to live their dreams thru their kids. I'm just not sure here. He seems like a good kid but does he really respects his dad or does he fear him? At what point does he has enough with everything and decides he's going to do whatever HE wants to do? And how do we know what that is? This FO better do a lof of home work on this.
Yes lots of homework is exactly what I was thinking. For all we know he could have been threatened to put on a happy face and not screw this up, or else be disowned. Or it could work out, I have no idea. But for me, as of now, if you feel nearly as good about anotehr QB I'd probably lean in that direction. I admit I don't follow college enough to know the QB's in detail so I have to speak generally at this point.

I can't understand why this would even be a concern. The guy wants to be number 1 and be paid number 1 money. Saying no doesnt make sense. The Dolphins future is bright, just really dark right now. Not to mention teams picking 1-5 have issues, thats why their picking so high.

Back
Top Bottom