if no one trades for surtain does that lower his contract demands? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

if no one trades for surtain does that lower his contract demands?

finsgonewild

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
does it? Or does he keep trying to get as much money as he can. Maybe he will lower his demands so we can resign him.

No he is comparing himself to the UFA market, like Smoot, you know how much Smoot got?

We wont sign him long term if we dont trade him. I am actually warming up to the idea of keeping him for one more year. It really doesnt look like we are gonna get what he is worth in compensation this year b/c the free agent market for corner was just so deep. So if we keep him this year we can franchise him next year and there is no way the corner market can be that deep and there is a better chance we will get something closer in compensation to what he is worth. And performance wise you cant be upset to have a player of his caliber for another year or so.

Only problem is McMichael might end up being more deserving of the franchise tag, and we probably will not have a contract for him by the end of the season.

Well we might be able to take a look at what KC gave him and tweak it to fit our cap situation.

I wouldn't mind having him back long term, but that may be difficult.

Joey 22 said:
No he is comparing himself to the UFA market, like Smoot, you know how much Smoot got?

Since he is comparing himself to the UFA market (for CB's that is) I hope he realizes and sympathizes that we're getting screwed over with what Kansas City is offering us. Hopefully he cares more about the team than just making a few more million or at least helps us out in some way so we can get a GOOD/AND OR FAIR VALUE trade going here.

I can't believe I'm hearing he'll be getting a 10-15 million dollar signing bonus if he goes to Kansas City, but we can't get better than a 4th round pick for him! :yell:

we wont trade him this year

he plays this year

realizes that Saban is a leader and winner and that Nick will bring us to the promised land in 2-3 years and he wants to be a part of that so doesnt demand as much as market value or does get that and we structure in a way that all sides are happy

sigh...perfect world

If we dont trade Surtain, then our cap would be in awful shape. Since we got to sign our rookies and possibly some June 1 guys.

canesfins13 said:
We dont trade surtain now we lose him for nothing next year

True but a 4th round pick is not good enough. I'd keep him rather than giving him away for next to nothing. Even if he does become a UFA next year, at least we'd have to pleasure of watching him in a Phins uniform for one more season.

Frisches13283 said:
Only problem is McMichael might end up being more deserving of the franchise tag, and we probably will not have a contract for him by the end of the season.

I think he will get a long term contract offer this year. So we can place the tag on Pat.

FinsFanatic said:
we wont trade him this year

he plays this year

realizes that Saban is a leader and winner and that Nick will bring us to the promised land in 2-3 years and he wants to be a part of that so doesnt demand as much as market value or does get that and we structure in a way that all sides are happy

sigh...perfect world

I know you weren't being serious. But, it's humorous how so many fans see a professional player making 'X' dollars and just classify them as rich. All rich people have enough money so a few million shouldn't make a difference, right?

I don't know how much Surtain has made in his career. But let's take a regular guy drafted in the 2nd round. Makes $1m/year for a couple years. After taxes, and the new demand on his wealth (his own new ability to spend as well as friends/family), he has nothing saved. Then he renegotiates and makes $2-4M/year for another 3 years. After taxes, management fees, and cost of living (when you are a well known athlete making millions you must maintain a certain level of luxury), you're maybe left with $500K-$1M assuming a somewhat responsible person (many would actually be in debt at that point in their careers) and living in a $1.5-3M house. Now comes your big pay day. The big time contract you've been working for. You have no idea if you will have a season ending injury tommorrow. If you do, the $500K-$1M won't be enough to maintain your lifestyle for very long (the taxes on your house plus upkeep inches towards $100K/year).

So this contract is what will make or break you financially for the rest of your life. It's probably your last decent contract and you will probably be cut or asked to rework it within 3 years as you get older and the contract numbers start to get higher. Essentially, the signing bonus plus whatever base salary is included during the first 2-3 years is what you can count on. If you get hurt tommorrow or a younger guy outplays you, the team will cut you. There's no love on the part of the team. So why, under these circumstances, would you take any less than the most you can get? If the difference between playing with a Super Bowl contender in a good city and playing for a crappy team in a crappy city is very small (like a couple hundred thousand) then sure you go to the better situation. But if San Fran offers you $1m more than NE, you go to San Fran.

Maybe we can still keep Randy and Pat. Does the cap increase next year? Maybe with the extra increase it could be enough to work out some kind of deal for the 2 of them

caneaddict said:
I know you weren't being serious. But, it's humorous how so many fans see a professional player making 'X' dollars and just classify them as rich. All rich people have enough money so a few million shouldn't make a difference, right?

I don't know how much Surtain has made in his career. But let's take a regular guy drafted in the 2nd round. Makes $1m/year for a couple years. After taxes, and the new demand on his wealth (his own new ability to spend as well as friends/family), he has nothing saved. Then he renegotiates and makes $2-4M/year for another 3 years. After taxes, management fees, and cost of living (when you are a well known athlete making millions you must maintain a certain level of luxury), you're maybe left with $500K-$1M assuming a somewhat responsible person (many would actually be in debt at that point in their careers) and living in a $1.5-3M house. Now comes your big pay day. The big time contract you've been working for. You have no idea if you will have a season ending injury tommorrow. If you do, the $500K-$1M won't be enough to maintain your lifestyle for very long (the taxes on your house plus upkeep inches towards $100K/year).

So this contract is what will make or break you financially for the rest of your life. It's probably your last decent contract and you will probably be cut or asked to rework it within 3 years as you get older and the contract numbers start to get higher. Essentially, the signing bonus plus whatever base salary is included during the first 2-3 years is what you can count on. If you get hurt tommorrow or a younger guy outplays you, the team will cut you. There's no love on the part of the team. So why, under these circumstances, would you take any less than the most you can get? If the difference between playing with a Super Bowl contender in a good city and playing for a crappy team in a crappy city is very small (like a couple hundred thousand) then sure you go to the better situation. But if San Fran offers you $1m more than NE, you go to San Fran.

i see your point, and i agree that the player may look for the cash cause he can possibly have a career-ending injury..though predicting how much a player has at his bank account after some years of playing time it's too illusional..each one has his own character and his own style of life...

Back
Top Bottom