If SF takes Smith, the choice is simple... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If SF takes Smith, the choice is simple...

Dubfire

Deep Dish Fan
Reaction score
We take the BPA and thats Braylon Edwards who many think is the best player in the draft. The draft is loaded with RB's and taking one at No. 2 while the best WR is still on the board is stupid.

Dubfire said:
We take the BPA and thats Braylon Edwards who many think is the best player in the draft. The draft is loaded with RB's and taking one at No. 2 while the best WR is still on the board is stupid.

Yea, Ill be happy with either edwards or williams

Except its not that simple- because Braylon is not the consensus best player, many believe Ronnie Brown is a physical specimen and the premier player in the draft. AND we have a greater, and I hate to use this word, but need for a RB.

I disagree, just because there are a lot of RBs in the draft doesnt mean it is stupid to take one early and get the best one in the draft. I also disagree that Edwards is the best player in the draft

The value for a RB is just not there at No. 2. I posted this way back in January and got reamed. Now you are hearing guys like Mel Kiper saying the same thing. The Dolphins have LOTS of needs and RB is not the only one. I would be willing to bet that as good as Brown is, the Dolphins have him below Edwards on their board.

It is interesting that you say the value isn't there at #2, when most boards have Smith at #1 and Brown at #2 (with a few that list Edwards in either spot). You may think Edwards is the BPA after Smith, but Saban may not think so. Maybe Saban and his staff think that Williams (either one) is BPA? There goes your theory *poof.

TeeMoney said:
It is interesting that you say the value isn't there at #2, when most boards have Smith at #1 and Brown at #2 (with a few that list Edwards in either spot). You may think Edwards is the BPA after Smith, but Saban may not think so. Maybe Saban and his staff think that Williams (either one) is BPA? There goes your theory *poof.

We can get a quality RB later in the draft. Why pass up the best WR? I would be willing to bet that Saban's board goes something like this:
Smith
Edwards
Brown

Regardless of what anyone here thinks, he's going to stick to his board. He's made that clear already. If Smith is there he takes him IF he can't trade down. That is his preference. But if Smith is not there and he can't trade down, I think he picks Edwards.

My theory on the RB situation is a valid one. We can get one later on, especially in the 2nd round if we are able to trade with KC. A lot of RB's are going to fall to the 3rd round where we have the 2nd pick. We can take one there.

What you have on your board as the BPA may not be what Saban has on his board.

Braylon Edwards is not even the consensus best WR in the draft! :lol:

Several think Mike Williams is as good or better. The only guy spouting off loudly about B.E. is Sean Salisbury - and he's just a blowhorn. His philosophy is "he who shouts the loudest and is the most bombastic is right!"

Edwards may be the best player - or not. He has flaws. Some reports (and this is true in some of the games I've seen) have noted that he has had trouble fully separating at times. And, he was somewhat inconsistent in his hands.

So, it's difficult to say. I'm sure we have fans who will come on and say - Ronnie Brown is clearly the best player; or, Aaron Rodgers; or, Cedric Benson.

What we need to do is simple - run through each scenario of what SF will do. Look at our draft board and decide who we will pick depending on who is selected ahead of us; also, prepare for SF trading out of that slot and what another team (e.g., Minn, Tampa Bay) might do if they trade into it. At the same time, decide what we will accept in a trade down. If Smith is there and Saban is hot for him, he may require much more to trade out of that slot than he would if Ronnie Brown is the best guy on the board, for example. And, we have to get an idea as to who will be in front of us if we accept a trade down.

It's a complex process, but since we only have to run through one pick ahead of us, we can figure it out.

Dubfire said:
Regardless of what anyone here thinks, he's going to stick to his board.

No one doubts this. It is your OPINION that Edwards is the best player in the draft. I've read and seen enough of Edwards to believe (this is my opinion) that he is behind Williams, and may turn out like other Michigan WR's. Not to mention that I believe he is behind Brown, C. Williams, Smith and Merriman.

i'd rather trade down and get screwed than pick edwards. i believe he will be a huge bust, just like other Michigan WRs

Da 'Fins said:
What you have on your board as the BPA may not be what Saban has on his board.

Braylon Edwards is not even the consensus best WR in the draft! :lol:

Several think Mike Williams is as good or better. The only guy spouting off loudly about B.E. is Sean Salisbury - and he's just a blowhorn. His philosophy is "he who shouts the loudest and is the most bombastic is right!"

Edwards may be the best player - or not. He has flaws. Some reports (and this is true in some of the games I've seen) have noted that he has had trouble fully separating at times. And, he was somewhat inconsistent in his hands.

So, it's difficult to say. I'm sure we have fans who will come on and say - Ronnie Brown is clearly the best player; or, Aaron Rodgers; or, Cedric Benson.

What we need to do is simple - run through each scenario of what SF will do. Look at our draft board and decide who we will pick depending on who is selected ahead of us; also, prepare for SF trading out of that slot and what another team (e.g., Minn, Tampa Bay) might do if they trade into it. At the same time, decide what we will accept in a trade down. If Smith is there and Saban is hot for him, he may require much more to trade out of that slot than he would if Ronnie Brown is the best guy on the board, for example. And, we have to get an idea as to who will be in front of us if we accept a trade down.

It's a complex process, but since we only have to run through one pick ahead of us, we can figure it out.

It is complicated. I don't think for one second that SF is thinking about trading out of No. 1. They need a QB. But we'll see. This is what makes this draft so intriguing. IMO if Smith is not there, I hope we take the BPA and I think that will be Edwards. If he is there, try and use him as bait to trade out of the spot with TB. If we can't then we take him. Maybe TB does not want to give up that much. The possibilities are endless.

Everything comes down to what SF does at No. 1.

My whole point is that we need to be prepared for the fact that Smith may not be there at No. 2 and then the trade with TB is dead. No one knows for sure if it was going to happen anyway. I think we'd all (myself included) would prefer to trade down with TB. Then take the best BPA available at 5 regardless of position. If that player is Brown, I'd be doing cartwheels down my street naked.
:eek:

TeeMoney said:
No one doubts this. It is your OPINION that Edwards is the best player in the draft. I've read and seen enough of Edwards to believe (this is my opinion) that he is behind Williams, and may turn out like other Michigan WR's. Not to mention that I believe he is behind Brown, C. Williams, Smith and Merriman.

We have a difference of opinion. I think highly of Edwards. I have since the college football season began. Yeah he does have some knocks, but they all do.

finsrule84 said:
just like other Michigan WRs

Not all receivers from Michigan have been busts. If that's your only reason for not liking Edwards then your argument is very weak.

Dubfire said:

:roflmao: I love the speculation of some people

My guess is that SF takes Aaron Rodgers and we trade down with TB (they will take Alex Smith), then we pick either Brown or Williams at #5 overall while collecting some draft picks for trading down

Back
Top Bottom