If Tannehill's 2016 Passer Rating ends up under 90, what will be the likely cause? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Tannehill's 2016 Passer Rating ends up under 90, what will be the likely cause?

I didn't read this thread. I apologize if this hs been answered. But, it means he isn't very good. It seems like you stated a thread to make a built in excuse for failure. We have seen enough failure out of this Wh, no more excuses. What a sad thread premise. "If our qb sucks who should we blame"?
For the record I think he has his best year yet, and plays like a top 10-12 qb. But why mane a thread exploring potential excuses for a 5th year qb who has never done **** asking who to blame ??

I'm really hoping that qbr doesn't add points for leads just cause well you have a lead if so that's news to me and flawed
It's a reasonable conclusion. QBs behind, particularly late, take more chances, force more throws. QBs ahead, can be more cautious and pass on throws that are more risky. Thus, losing QBs will have lower QBR.

The problem, Thill can't read defenses, is not very accurate on deep balls, does not put touch on the ball and leads his receivers into death hits. Doughty is future, mark my words, he is a natural QB something Thill never was and never will be..

The problem, Thill can't read defenses, is not very accurate on deep balls, does not put touch on the ball and leads his receivers into death hits. Doughty is future, mark my words, he is a natural QB something Thill never was and never will be..

Stop embarrassing yourself. Can't read defenses...smh

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

My guess would be not getting to throw an inordinate amount of bubble screens to inflate the stats.

Matt Moore lover

While I think even if the OL stinks it up he'll post a 90 rating, reality is you'd want it to be in the 95+ range and the ticket to get there for Tannehill would be to increase his YPA. That will be very hard to do if the OL plays like it did last night.... WRs barely had time to reach the 10 yard line before he was met by the opposing DL...

number 8 pick 2012 rank 25th best qb in 2016. some of fan think he is good.
number 3 pick 2011. rank close to being out nfl.
our luck is terrible. who ever draft these bust don't know football at all.
wonder why John Elways won sb under 7 yr as vp. why cant we get guy like this??
How bad do Ross want win superbowl or He just happy winning 6 to 8 game a yrs, maybe he like hosting superbowl. Yes it great that we win two sb back in 72,73 but it time add another one to that. now back to my number 8 pick do I feel he can get us their??? gm,hc,players also need stepup.

What does Dareus have to do with Dolphins?

Also he just signed a 6 year contract and is no where near being out of the NFL...

I suspect that Bill Lazor's read-option offense was the best match for Tannehill's skillset (good runner, poor pocket presence). 2014 might end up as Tannehill's best year.

Adam Gase's complex route concepts might be a better match for cerebral pocket passers with touch, like Doughty. In a way, Doughty is similar to late-career Peyton Manning (slow runner, weak arm, touch passes, cerebral pocket passer).

While I think even if the OL stinks it up he'll post a 90 rating, reality is you'd want it to be in the 95+ range and the ticket to get there for Tannehill would be to increase his YPA. That will be very hard to do if the OL plays like it did last night.... WRs barely had time to reach the 10 yard line before he was met by the opposing DL...

I don't think there is any way Tunsil doesn't start next week....makes no sense to keep running with Thomas...yes there are other issues with the line, but at least have an upgrade in house for one of the positions.

I suspect that Bill Lazor's read-option offense was the best match for Tannehill's skillset (good runner, poor pocket presence). 2014 might end up as Tannehill's best year.

Adam Gase's complex route concepts might be a better match for cerebral pocket passers with touch, like Doughty. In a way, Doughty is similar to late-career Peyton Manning (slow runner, weak arm, touch passes, cerebral pocket passer).

Her eis a great read on the kid: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-brandon-doughty-shows-signs-of-pro-potential

Athleticism
Doughty is a mobile quarterback with slightly above average athleticism. Although he is not a true dual-threat at the position, he flashes enough agility and movement skills to work the edges on sprint outs and bootlegs from the shotgun. The Hilltoppers take advantage of his mobility by featuring a number of movement-based passes in the game plan, which allows him to escape inside pressure to attack the coverage with a number of high-low concepts on the flanks. Inside the pocket, Doughty is capable of eluding and evading rushers by climbing toward the line of scrimmage or laterally sliding to the right or left to find a clear throwing lane.

South Florida wide receiver Rodney Adams (87) runs on his way to scoring a touchdown as Western Kentucky linebacker Nick Holt (10) misses a tackle during the first half of the NCAA college football Miami Beach Bowl game, Monday, Dec. 21, 2015, in Miami. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)
NFL Exposure
Best of the bowls
Check out the best images from the 2015-16 college football bowl season.
Arm talent
Doughty has enough arm strength to attack every area of the field. Although I would rate his arm as a solid "B" on the scale, he pushes the ball down the field on vertical throws and fires intermediate routes (curls, digs and comebacks) with adequate velocity. Doughty capably fits the ball into tight windows on throws inside the numbers, but he lacks the RPMs to consistently squeeze the ball in against swift defenders keying his eyes in zone coverage. Thus, he must play with exceptional timing and anticipation against defenses featuring NFL-caliber athletes on the second level. I noticed this when I watched his performance against LSU on tape; it showed up against a very athletic South Florida team that appears to have a number of promising athletes in the back end.

From an accuracy standpoint, Doughty was on-point delivering the ball between the strike zone on short routes, particularly on "now" and tunnel screens at the line of scrimmage. Additionally, he showed adequate ball placement on intermediate throws (curls and comebacks) from the numbers to the boundary. This is an important aspect in the evaluation for teams employing a version of the West Coast offense with quick-rhythm ball-control routes. Doughty delivered a dart to Nicholas Norris on a dig route that resulted in a 69-yard touchdown. The pinpoint throw not only showcased Doughty's anticipation and timing as a quick-rhythm thrower, but he showed scouts he could fit the ball into a tight window between the hashes. Although Doughty had a few intermediate passes knocked down by fast-closing defenders, he certainly has enough arm strength to throw most of the staple passes featured in most NFL playbooks.

On deep balls, Doughty is a little erratic with his ball placement and touch (high and outside). He repeatedly misfired on vertical throws in the first half, including a wide-open post route on a flea flicker in the first quarter. While Doughty eventually connected on a post route on a flea flicker in the second quarter, Doughty's inconsistent deep-ball accuracy stood out in the first half. In the third quarter, Doughty finally settled in and looked like the red-hot passer that's created a buzz in league circles. He opened the third quarter with a pinpoint pass on a seam route down the boundary to Norris for a 55-yard score that looked straight off a coaches' clinic highlight reel. He later connected on another flea flicker along the boundary that showcased his touch, anticipation and ball placement. Although Doughty threw the deep ball better in the second half of the Miami Beach Bowl, his inconsistent accuracy and ball placement on a dozen deep-ball attempts will lead some evaluators to question his ability to thrive in a vertical-based offense.

Pocket poise
Elite quarterback prospects must be able to thrive in the midst of chaos within the pocket. This is one of the biggest factors scouts must discover during the quarterback evaluation. Looking at Doughty on tape, I thought he displayed good poise and patience in the pocket. He didn't look to flee the pocket at the first sign of pressure; he showed courage by repeatedly delivering the ball with rushers in close proximity. Against South Florida, Doughty showed toughness and resiliency standing tall in the pocket, but I was miffed by his inability to feel free rushers coming off the edge. He took a few sacks (and unnecessary hits) in the pocket by not anticipating the extra rushers off the corner. Granted, defensive coordinators can make it tough to decipher which defenders are rushing, but Doughty's lack of blitz awareness will need further investigation from evaluators.

College Football 24/7 Hot Topics:
Watch: Great college football plays
Top 100 CFB players for 2016
2016 draft class power rankings
5 schools to dominate 2017 draft
Football intelligence
Doughty shows good football intelligence and situational awareness. He has a keen understanding of his scheme, as evidenced by his ability to get to his second and third read in the progression. Doughty will quickly dump the ball off to his backs on swing passes when the coverage blankets his primary receiver. This is critical to sustaining drives at the next level, which is why coaches will give Doughty positive marks for his overall intelligence.

In regard to Doughty's situational awareness, I was impressed with his ability to execute a two-minute drill at the end of the first half. He quickly moved his offense down the field, but wasn't overwhelmed by the moment. He wisely used a "spike" to stop the clock in the closing seconds to ensure his team walked away with a field goal at the end of the half.

With most NFL games decided by seven points or fewer, Doughty's execution in critical situations will make him an attractive prospect in some circles.

Clutch factor
Quarterbacks from non-Power 5 schools must take advantage of their opportunities on the biggest and brightest stages to convince NFL scouts they are capable of playing with the big boys at the next level. Doughty has compiled quite an impressive resume during his time at Western Kentucky, including a number of single-season and career marks for passing yards and touchdowns. However, scouts will dig into the tape to see how he performed against the top competition on the Hilltoppers' schedule. Prior to the Miami Beach Bowl, I had some concerns about Doughty's ability to perform against defenses with ultra-athletic defenders based on his disappointing play against LSU this season. Doughty not only struggled with his accuracy and ball placement in that contest, but he had a number of balls tipped and deflected at the line. He couldn't find clear throwing lanes against the Tigers' athletic rushers and his inability to navigate through the trees was an issue.

Thus, I thought it was important for Doughty to carve up a South Florida defense that was loaded with speedy defenders in the back end. For most of the first half, Doughty struggled finding his rhythm as a drop-back passer. While his numbers were solid (21 of 30 for 221 yards), he misfired on a number of intermediate throws that were considered "lay ups" in the Hilltoppers' offense. Doughty repeatedly missed high and outside on tightly contested routes, leading to a number of tips and deflections in the secondary. In addition, he also delivered the ball late on a few curls and comebacks, which allowed the Bulls' defensive backs to bat the ball away from the intended receivers.

In the second half, I was impressed with how quickly Doughty made adjustments and attacked the Bulls' secondary. He wasted little time exploiting the vulnerable areas of the Bulls' coverage, leading to a 28-point third quarter on the strength of his impressive play from the pocket. Although he wasn't completely flawless in the second half, I walked away convinced that Doughty's guts, moxie and resiliency would give him a chance to succeed as a pro.

You know, I'm so tired of the O line excuse, when you feel pressure unload the F****** Ball out of bounds, don't take a sack, my god Thill couldn't feel a run a way dump truck behind him. I always wished for the best for the kid because of insane athleticism but he will never have the pocket awareness needed to take us to the playoffs. Marino could feel Bruce Smiths on his blind side and tell you what he had for breakfast prior to the snap. From Bruce Smith himself; "I'm beating his ass around the corner, he's just getting rid of the ball.""

You know, I'm so tired of the O line excuse, when you feel pressure unload the F****** Ball out of bounds, don't take a sack, my god Thill couldn't feel a run a way dump truck behind him. I always wished for the best for the kid because of insane athleticism but he will never have the pocket awareness needed to take us to the playoffs. Marino could feel Bruce Smiths on his blind side and tell you what he had for breakfast prior to the snap. From Bruce Smith himself; "I'm beating his ass around the corner, he's just getting rid of the ball.""

I could be wrong but I dont remember Tannehill getting sacked last night...?

I don't think there is any way Tunsil doesn't start next week....makes no sense to keep running with Thomas...yes there are other issues with the line, but at least have an upgrade in house for one of the positions.

Of course tunsil will start, he was our number one pick...Gase just wants to see where he is going to place him. Just common sense.

ear Team G GS Passing Rushing Sacked Fumbles
Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
2012 MIA 16 16 282 484 58.3 3,294 6.8 12 13 76.1 49 211 4.3 2 35 234 9 4
2013 MIA 16 16 355 588 60.4 3,913 6.7 24 17 81.7 40 238 6.0 1 58 399 9 5
2014 MIA 16 16 392 590 66.4 4,045 6.9 27 12 92.8 56 311 5.6 1 46 337 9 2
2015 MIA 16 16 363 586 61.9 4,208 7.2 24 12 89.2 32 141 4.4 1 45 420 10 3
Total 64 64 1,392 2,248 61.9 15,460 6.9 87 54 85.2 177 901 5.1 5 184 1390 37 14

Back
Top Bottom