If the Dolphins drafted Lamar Jackson, would he still be successful? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the Dolphins drafted Lamar Jackson, would he still be successful?

Run first QBs typically have A short career so it would be great if Lamar dethrones NE this year but a 10 year career taking that pounding? Ask Cam how he feels?? And he is a big big man

He's a pocket passer who has elite running skills, I mean Antonio Brown/Barry Sanders type twitch and movement. He's compared to Vick but he's a more agile runner, a bigger man and a much better passer. His arm is very good and his football IQ is off-the-charts and there is no correlation between running and injury in QBs, it's been quantified.

Injury correlates to number of sacks, not rushing attempts. It's why Luck isn't in the league anymore and why DeShaun Watson might be sooner than later. Jackson has taken about half the hits a high usage running back like McCaffrey takes and considerably fewer big hits and a back like that can play for 5-6 years at a very high level. Cam Newton played 8 years before his body broke down and he's never been the passer Jackson. already is. Was never able to fix his inaccuracy meaning he often had to keep running. If you were given the option of 8 years of a QB like LJ that delivered a couple Super Bowls, you'd take it. This notion that your quarterback has to play at a high level for 15 years to be a franchise player is silly and not historical.

But let's face it, infrastructure matters. It mattered when Marino got here. The roster, coaching and front office matter and the Ravens have arguably the best of all worlds in that regard. LJ is so talented and such a hard worker and great person it's difficult to see him not succeeding in Miami or anywhere else, but it's questionable whether he could have reached his full potential here. The Ravens are just so ahead of the curve in their scouting, how they manipulate the draft, coach guys up, work free agency, how they treat players, their use of analytics is way ahead of the league, they have an entire department devoted to it. They have a culture, something we've not had since the 70s and early 80s. LJ is the perfect player in a perfect situation, but he still would have been good in aqua and coral. He says he had a Marino jersey as a child and never took it off, slept in it, went to school in it, how could you not love the dude.

No. Dolphins would have forced him to become a pocket passer, would never have had the vision Baltimore had for him and we certainly don't have the complete team that Baltimore has either.

I agree.

People always love to 2nd guess through the gift of hindsight. But the likely reality is that most NFL teams wouldn't have re-worked their offensive scheme the way Baltimore has to accommodate Jackson's strengths. Historically, that's not how the NFL has done things.

We are seeing a bit more of it, though. The 49ers added in the read option for Colin Kaepernick years ago. But many teams are still leery about subjecting their QB to more contact as a result. There's still a lot of debate whether Lamar Jackson's style and Baltimore's use of him has long term viability. That's why, even back in the 70's, NFL teams didn't run veer or option based offenses like collegiate programs did.

Coaches are teaching QB's such as Jackson and Kyler Murray to slide as soon as they feel a defender nearing. But all it takes is one mis-step. One bad read. Or just not seeing the defender.

Of course the same can happen in the pocket. But designed runs just increase that risk.

Circling back to the main point, I believe most NFL minds still subscribe to the notion that running an offense the way Baltimore current is doesn't have long term viability due to injury risk. And $$$ plays much more of a factor than at other levels. Therefore, like any player really, a QB's success can often hinge on which team he ends up with. In Jackson's case, he was fortunate to land in a place that decided to go all in.

I doubt Miami would have pivoted to an offense at the time that would have played to his strengths.

I don’t think anyone saw the passing strides in terms of accuracy that Jackson has made coming. Still they play to a heavy tight end based offense and passing game.

That said he was high a good bit on Sunday.

Tough call. Adam Gase loves his system, he may have tailored it to Jackson to some extent but wouldn’t have gone all in like Baltimore. I mean he has played Jay Cutler, Brock Osweiler, Luke Falk and brought in Davis Fales because they know his system. Tough to imagine him changing. Maybe Jackson would have been a success in that system but I’m not sure it would maximize his talents.

It’s called Greg Roman

jackson fell into an offensive coordinator that was tailor made for creating offenses to suit Lamar jackson

Roman was made for these kind of QBs, and Lamar is the best QB he’s ever been handed. This is the product of the two together

I disagree because he did this in college as well. Without greg roman.

I disagree because he did this in college as well. Without greg roman.

think you read me wrong. Wasn’t taking any credit away from Jackson

the reason it’s working at this high of a level in the NFL is bc Jackson’s talent met romans offense.

and a cooperative FO to boot

I've thought about this question probably more than I should. If we had drafted Jackson chances are Gase would still be in town. I'm not ready to anoint Flores but I most definitely saw enough of Gase to know he needed to go.

I love what Jackson brings to the field but his style is also opening him up to potential injury.

With those two concerns I'm still 50/50 on the topic.

What do you think would have happened to Gase and the Dolphins if they drafted Jackson.

I tend to think a lot of his success is thanks to Harbaugh and a front office who know how to build a team. Sadly, I think Gase and the Dolphins would have ruined him.

Your thoughts?
I think about this all the time. AND Yes he would. No doubt in my mind.

Teams with sophisticated playbooks passed on Lamar because of his ridiculously low for a QB Wonderlic score and a poor verbal presentation.

We were all. wrong and that's why Ozzie is in a class by himself as a GM.

Really respect the ravens organization and how they went about this..

Identifies a true dual threat Qb, Harbaugh hires Greg Roman to instill the system that will exploits Lamars strengths..

Full shift of offensive philosophy..

think you read me wrong. Wasn’t taking any credit away from Jackson

the reason it’s working at this high of a level in the NFL is bc Jackson’s talent met romans offense.

and a cooperative FO to boot

Understandable

Reactions: A1.
Remember Pat White?
Lamar probably would have lasted longer than Pat but the end result would still be out of the league sooner than later.
Even in his current situation he is playing with fire... The hit is coming it's just a matter of when.

Back
Top Bottom