If the Dolphins drafted Lamar Jackson, would he still be successful? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the Dolphins drafted Lamar Jackson, would he still be successful?

Jackson is doing things no other QB in history has ever done. His numbers are staggering. He is certainly a generational talent, a true prodigy like Marino was. Favre wasn't a generational talent at all. Jackson's physical gifts, combined with his football IQ and extraordinary leadership qualities are a perfect storm.
Man people still cant believe even while they are witnessing greatness. It's like they think their eyes are lying. He will continue to change minds as he tears up the league. I love and appreciate his skills even though he is on another team. What could have been. Life of a dolphin fan

Let's see what happens in the playoffs, New England shut him down last year.
If he does get the better of them this year it will be interesting to see how New England drafts to try to shut him down next year.

Always thought running QB's have an advantage until they get hurt and they use to always get hurt, blow out a knee and the QB is down for 2 years, 1 year healing the another year trying to regain his form, there have been quite a few over the years.

One of the reason I'm not super high on Joe Burrow...runs 20% and in critical situations and not an elite running like Jackson who has 4.3 speed.

I care little for both teams the beaten the crap out of us long time, I want revenge on both...

I mean Lamar is the reason the running game is so dominant. When the defense is terrified of him keeping it on the option that split second it takes to make sure he doesn’t have it allows the RBs to plow through for 7 yards.

Good point. Lamar makes their running game work with his threat to run.

Go back to November last year and the Ravens had one of the worst rushing offenses in the league. 92 yards per game, 27th in league, worst than Dolphins. By end of season Lamar moved them up to 2nd best at 149 per game. A year later and they are #1 at 210 per game.

Lamar would have helped our running game if we would have picked him and I have no doubt he would have been successful here.

We’ve had similar discussions here regarding Russel Wilson. Beast mode gone but RW’s team still near top of rushing.

The QB makes a huge difference

I think it’s both in regards to the OP. Jackson is an extremely talented player who had an incredible college career. He slipped through the cracks because of uncertainty of his game transitioning to the pros. In hindsight it was foolish but at the time it was understandable. Baltimore is probably a top 5 franchise under Harbaugh and they’re competitive every year so they were one of the best landing spots for Lamar.

He rarely had Tannehill rollout when most of Tanehill’s amazing passes were when he was on the move.

He rarely had Tannehill rollout when most of Tanehill’s amazing passes were when he was on the move.

have been a harsh Tannehill critic, not because I didn’t feel he could win some regular season games, or even get us into a playoff, just think he’s flawed when it comes to dealing with pressure, however he was the best in the business at throwing accurately from both side showing superior dexterity.. Gase and the rest never understood this imo..not enough reps per game rolling left and right, also not enough reps in the read option...they never exploited the skill set correctly..not even close

Man people still cant believe even while they are witnessing greatness. It's like they think their eyes are lying. He will continue to change minds as he tears up the league. I love and appreciate his skills even though he is on another team. What could have been. Life of a dolphin fan

I don't think anyone is doubting LJ's talent or his contributions to the team. The question seems to be the definition of "successful." I think LJ would make Miami a better team and lead them to more wins. I DON'T think he'd be in the running for MVP

I don't think anyone is doubting LJ's talent or his contributions to the team. The question seems to be the definition of "successful." I think LJ would make Miami a better team and lead them to more wins. I DON'T think he'd be in the running for MVP

Didn't he go an entire half or something like that without completing a single pass?

What that coaching staff has done with scheming for him is nithing short of greatness.

Now, he's taken that scheme and has become a superhero with it.

Good for him. I don't like to root for AFC teams but it's fantastic to watch him play.

I don’t think you scheme your QB into converting 8 first downs by pass against RAMS. Some were long distance. All lead to TD drives. That was Jackson making plays in crucial points of the game when the running game left him in tough situation. To act like it is all the running game helping him doesn’t make sense to me when he has to convert these situations by passing.

I agree he is a great coach, but let's remember his team struggled with Flacco at QB for a few years. So without a good QB, even a great coach won't do good.
I don't know if "struggled" is accurate. They surely were not an offensive juggernaut, but much of that is philosophy. They had a run first, ball control, play rock solid D approach.

I agree though, they were definitely working within what they believed Flacco was capable of.

Apparently they didn't see it as a huge problem, as they never seemed to bring in, or draft any serious competition.

I keep seeing this article of faith repeated as if it has any probability behind it. Belichick is 3-6 in the playoffs against teams that beat him during the regular season. They're far more likely to get the tires beat off them again because they have gaping weaknesses that are mismatched against Ravens' strengths. They got physically dominated.
Interesting stat. I like little tidbits such as that.

Do you happen to know if/how many losses were at Gillette?

Interesting stat. I like little tidbits such as that.

Do you happen to know if/how many losses were at Gillette?

I know 2 were at Gillette. Sanchez led Jets and Flaaco led Ravens beat Patriots twice. 2 others were at Denver and Indy. Not sure about other 2. But Harbaugh has done it before at Gillette.

Back
Top Bottom