If The Fins Are Going To "tank"...then Why Not *really* Tank? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If The Fins Are Going To "tank"...then Why Not *really* Tank?

Chris Grier had said they are just now getting into QBs. So no, they do not have a three year outlook. It's impossible to even have a two year outlook since 2019 season has not even played out.

The only reason they are thinking of tanking is to have a alibi on drafting a QB high, #1 overall, on whom there is a consensus. So they are not on the hook for the decision. The team was 0-16, they sucked, they need a QB, and this guy is #1 overall consensus.

They have no clue what they are doing.
You trust that Grier hasn’t had a chance to look at the Qb classes for the next two years after he just floated it that Tannehill is not the guaranteed starter?

Tanking for a specific player is risky, tanking for a specific player three years away is bordering on negligence. We need to take the hit that comes with shedding bad contracts and try and get some value for players that aren't part of a long-term plan, then use the cap space and picks to build a good young team. Trying to pick those players in advance is asking for disappointment because so much can change in that time.

If I were in charge of the Dolphins, I would be targeting the 2020 draft. Sure, Trevor Lawrence may be an absolutely elite prospect, no disagreement here. But like the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, we will not be the only team tanking for him. There is no guarantee that even if we go 2-14 and get the 2nd overall pick, that we have even a snowball's chance in hell of getting Lawrence. IMHO, that's a backup plan if we don't find our QB in 2019 for whatever reason … but it's far behind the primary plan of getting our QB in 2020.

As CK pointed out, there are several elite prospects, and I'm sure we're looking at all of them. If we're building a New England style offense, that will require a very precise passer, and at this point, that's not Tua or Herbert. The only prospect in the next two years that looks to have the skill to be that guy is Jake From, IMHO. Herbert has the cannon of an arm, and has some great tape, but he is inconsistent. Tua is more mobile and consistently puts the ball in the vicinity, but about half his throws are like a foot off of ideal placement, meaning he's going to have a harder time hitting those narrow windows in the NFL compared to the collegiate ranks. This next year is an opportunity for all of those guys to take that next step in development, and while it's not the same thing for each player, each of them needs to improve something. I'm not set on who it will be, but I am set on securing one of those elite prospect guys.

I have no problems waiting for Lawrence. We'd be setup with a lot of young talent to build around him if we tanked the next 2 years.

If Murray was taller I'd be ok drafting but I just can't get behind a 5-9 guy being our franchise QB. I mean after all these years with all these different scrub QBs Murray is the guy you want to bank on?

Winners and Competitors don't tank.
They strategically put the team in the best place for success if thats drafting Murray this year or if its waiting until next year it doesnt matter. No professional group of men especially football men even our executives would ever suggest losing on purpose. I think the media seriously mistook Stephen Ross' insanity comments. The plan of any professional team is to get better not worse. In the Fins case ridding themselves of bad contracts for injury prone players over thirty will make them a better team.
The Dolphins especially have such a successful history of great coaches,players, and deserving patient fans that even losing on purpose is completely out of the question.
How do you think Don Shula, Greise, Marino, Zach Thomas, JT, or any of the other greats in Dolphin history would feel watching the team they devoted their careers to "tank" because they want a specific player in the draft?
I honestly feel like its a slap in the face to them and we dont deserve it as fans.
That being said.
I am completely on board with the Fins letting go of their stupid contracts and older players. Players like Branch, Jones, RT, Wake, Gore, Quinn, Sitton, and others need to go. Trade X only if its the right situation (multiple top draft picks).

Take this from someone whos played football my whole life through the collegiate level. No real athlete or competitor would ever want to lose.

They strategically put the team in the best place for success if thats drafting Murray this year or if its waiting until next year it doesnt matter. No professional group of men especially football men even our executives would ever suggest losing on purpose. I think the media seriously mistook Stephen Ross' insanity comments. The plan of any professional team is to get better not worse. In the Fins case ridding themselves of bad contracts for injury prone players over thirty will make them a better team.
The Dolphins especially have such a successful history of great coaches,players, and deserving patient fans that even losing on purpose is completely out of the question.
How do you think Don Shula, Greise, Marino, Zach Thomas, JT, or any of the other greats in Dolphin history would feel watching the team they devoted their careers to "tank" because they want a specific player in the draft?
I honestly feel like its a slap in the face to them and we dont deserve it as fans.
That being said.
I am completely on board with the Fins letting go of their stupid contracts and older players. Players like Branch, Jones, RT, Wake, Gore, Quinn, Sitton, and others need to go. Trade X only if its the right situation (multiple top draft picks).

Take this from someone whos played football my whole life through the collegiate level. No real athlete or competitor would ever want to lose.

Okay.

Let’s get this out of the way.

I do not, would not ever suggest that you should ever tell a player they should lose.

God, I'm so tired of reading about this tanking BS. This isn't even in the thought process of Flores, or a single player on the roster. We are playing to win. Period.

Then read less. Because this is in the thought process of the PERSON WHO OWNS THE TEAM.

That being said.

The Dolphins "tanking" just means we're cutting over priced vets to rectify our cap which isn't in great shape, we're not going to stop putting bandaids on problems we've had for years, and we're going to stop spending big in free agency for players like Such, Wallace, Cameron etc. It never meant we're going to try to lose it just means we're going to stop pretending like we're one player away.

Okay.

Let’s get this out of the way.

I do not, would not ever suggest that you should ever tell a player they should lose.

Totally understood. But this whole "tank" fad and social media platform is going to be horrible for our Fins long term.
This how teams like Cleveland go decades without a winning record.
The whole idea even if its not suggested to our coaches and players invites a losing culture.
Thats never what Miami has been about.
That culture is what seperates teams like (I hate to say it but) NE and almost the rest of the NFL.
Ive had the unfortunate experience being around lots of NEfans living up north and as stupid, non-football educated, and fake they are they always expected nothing short of a championship. They never rooted for their team to lose. Thats the culture that Belichick and Brady adopted from Shula. Miami needs this back.
They last thing they want to do is create a culture that says its OK to lose.
They might as well give each of their players participation trophies at the end of the year.

That being said.

Every rule has it's exceptions, so maybe this is one of those. But, I seem to remember when Jimmy Johnson came to Dallas he tanked, and he sold his best player for a king's ransom of draft picks … then he built a dynasty with those great picks and the ones from the tanking year. IMHO, Jimmy Johnson is both a winner and a competitor, and he was successful when he tanked. When he came to Miami, he didn't tank … and he wasn't successful. I'm not saying tanking is the key to success--far from it. But I disagree that tanking is something winners do not do.

Belichick's early years were not particularly dominant. In fact, you could easily make the case that Gase was just as successful or moreso than Belichick given his circumstances. Everyone agrees Belichick is a winner … but he took a while to get that 2nd coaching job. Jimmy Johnson wasn't successful when he didn't tank and had to make due with talent that wasn't suited to his preferred playing style.

The Dolphins need something … we haven't tried this and we've failed a LOT since Don Shula retired. I'm on-board with giving the tank a chance so we can finally get a blue-chip QB again.

The Dolphins "tanking" just means we're cutting over priced vets to rectify our cap which isn't in great shape, we're not going to stop putting bandaids on problems we've had for years, and we're going to stop spending big in free agency for players like Such, Wallace, Cameron etc. It never meant we're going to try to lose it just means we're going to stop pretending like we're one player away.

As has been said too many times, this "tank" is NOT the tank some expect

Back
Top Bottom