IF the MINN. and TAMPA rumors are true | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IF the MINN. and TAMPA rumors are true

MrClean said:
Rick, was that you last year that failed to look toward the future and myopically reached big time for Vernon Carey with Vincent Wilfork on the board?
If we took a poll here, asking if they'd trade Carey for Wilfork, I'd bet about 98% would say yes. And if you were here last year, about that pct of posters were asking the same question: Why did we pass on Wilfork, considering that Bowens, Chester and Zgonina aren't getting any younger, and reeeeeaach for Carey?

i got your back on this one, mr. clean. i wanted wilfork

MrClean said:
Rick, was that you last year that failed to look toward the future and myopically reached big time for Vernon Carey with Vincent Wilfork on the board?
If we took a poll here, asking if they'd trade Carey for Wilfork, I'd bet about 98% would say yes. And if you were here last year, about that pct of posters were asking the same question: Why did we pass on Wilfork, considering that Bowens, Chester and Zgonina aren't getting any younger, and reeeeeaach for Carey?

I happen to agree the Carey pick was a reach. He was a severe question mark, but Rick was trying to fill a need. We were trying to get the kid for Arkansas and when Philly nabbed him, Spielman paniced (and should lose his job becasue of it). Wilford also is a nose tackle style lineman and didn't particularly fit our scheme. We all know how tailoring our schemes to meet our players hasn't happened since Shula. So while Wilfork might have been the better talent, we simply, as you mentioned, had too many quality all be it aging players on D line and not enough on o line.

Now comparing any of the big three backs vs the players you mentioned in this year's draft to carey vs. wilfork is absurd. 98% of Fin fans would agree that they (Benson, Brown or caddy) are not a reach rather at 2, 5 or 7.

Here is my thing. If we drop to the fifth spot, any RB that goes there will be there at seven really. Chicago is the only other team that will pick a RB. If we dropped to the seventh spot, Chicago and possibly Tampa ( if Smith was gone ) would pick a RB. That leaves us with at least one of the big 3. Plus, if Minny moves up, they are taking Edwards. It would probably go as follows:

san Fran takes Rodgers
minny takes Edwards
cleveland takes Williams
chicago takes Benson
tampa takes Smith
tennesee takes Johnson
miami takes Brown/C.Williams

I would take the two first rounders by Minny. Shore up the running game and possibly safety spot in one round. Then, make the trade of Surtain for a second, pick up McPherson and in the third try to get Wilkerson or someone.

Back
Top Bottom