If The Past Is An Indication Of How The Dolphins Will Draft. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If The Past Is An Indication Of How The Dolphins Will Draft.

NorFlaFin

PowerHungryMo'fo
Reaction score
I lay even money on a DL,

I remembBillacheat regarding Richard Seymour, paraphrasing "DL is such important position on out football I spend four 1st round picks."

He wasn't kidding.\

I would expect Flores to follow the blueprint especially since the Dolphins have zero DL knocking on the All-Pro list.

Formatting sucks I tried.

round 1.
1 2015 32 Malcom Brown
2 2014 29 Dominique Easley
3 2012 21 Chandler Jones
4 2004 21 Vince Wilfork
  • 5 2003 13 Ty Warren
    6 2001 16 Richard Seymour

• Round 2
  • 1 2009 2 40 Ron Brace
    2 2004 2 63 Marquise Hill
    31997 2 59 Brandon Mitchell

• Round 3

Derek Rivers
    Vincent Valentine
    Geneo Grissom
    Jake Bequette
    Greg Spires

Make it Omenihu from Texas and we're good.

I lay even money on a DL,

I remembBillacheat regarding Richard Seymour, paraphrasing "DL is such important position on out football I spend four 1st round picks."

He wasn't kidding.\

I would expect Flores to follow the blueprint especially since the Dolphins have zero DL knocking on the All-Pro list.

Formatting sucks I tried.

round 1.
1 2015 32 Malcom Brown
2 2014 29 Dominique Easley
3 2012 21 Chandler Jones
4 2004 21 Vince Wilfork
  • 5 2003 13 Ty Warren
    6 2001 16 Richard Seymour

• Round 2
  • 1 2009 2 40 Ron Brace
    2 2004 2 63 Marquise Hill
    31997 2 59 Brandon Mitchell

• Round 3

Derek Rivers
    Vincent Valentine
    Geneo Grissom
    Jake Bequette
    Greg Spires
Sorry, I call BS on this.

It’s easy to go DL when you have a Franchise QB

Sorry, I call BS on this.

It’s easy to go DL when you have a Franchise QB

Depending on the board and the depth this draft offers, unless your trading back I hope they take the top rated DL on the board. Round 2 and 3 are great gets for DL and OL.

QB should not be the primary concern, this year, getting back to fundamental football should be.

Depending on the board and the depth this draft offers, unless your trading back I hope they take the top rated DL on the board. Round 2 and 3 are great gets for DL and OL.

QB should not be the primary concern, this year, getting back to fundamental football should be.
I was referring to the OP’s “Belichick” tendency to go DL

De in first round o line in second round especially if they cut Sitton or let james walk

I think you're right. I'm expecting a DE/OLB hybrid in round 1, and if there are any top echelon prospects available then again in round 2 is on the table as well. Yes, we probably also need 1 more DT, but it's edge rushers that will be prioritized, IMHO.

I like this OL class, and my favorite part is the wide array of legit prospects all through the draft. Evaluations will change as we go through the combine and get closer to the draft, but right now, there's a lot of quality guys in this draft. DL and OL will be our focus, hopefully, but I can see us adding a CB and possibly a LB or TE as well.

Even money is probably not a bad estimate, given the logic and also the particulars of this draft. I might make it slightly below Even but not confidently. It would strictly be along the thought process that at #13 no position can be equal to all the rest combined. Somebody like Devin White could be sitting there.

Belichick saw two Super Bowls taken away by the defensive line of the Giants. And during his tenure as defensive coordinator under Parcells he saw the NFC powerhouses basically toy with the AFC Super Bowl representative due to dominance on the line of scrimmage and especially on defense. Go look at that 1986 Giants draft...6 picks in the first 3 rounds and all of them devoted to defense including three linemen. Parcells later bemoaned that he got away from that philosophy later in the '80s.

Nobody who evaluates Belichick without spotlighting those defensive coordinator years is seeing everything.

I think you're right. I'm expecting a DE/OLB hybrid in round 1, and if there are any top echelon prospects available then again in round 2 is on the table as well. Yes, we probably also need 1 more DT, but it's edge rushers that will be prioritized, IMHO.

I like this OL class, and my favorite part is the wide array of legit prospects all through the draft. Evaluations will change as we go through the combine and get closer to the draft, but right now, there's a lot of quality guys in this draft. DL and OL will be our focus, hopefully, but I can see us adding a CB and possibly a LB or TE as well.

This is where I might differ with most. I think DT, NT, ILB that can push the A gap are more a premium than the edge rushers today.

Not saying they are obsolete on the edge, just that Tom Brady has made a art form of punishing edge rushes.

Just a note Tom Brady was drafted in 2000 #199. At that point behind starter Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop;

Drew Bledsoe was openly declining but Billcheat still went DL

This is where I might differ with most. I think DT, NT, ILB that can push the A gap are more a premium than the edge rushers today.

Not saying they are obsolete on the edge, just that Tom Brady has made a art form of punishing edge rushes.
We'll see, I think the NT position is a much lower priority than pass rusher, and if we don't get them in round 1 the odds are pretty low that we get good ones. Just too high of a premium for certain positions (QB, pass rushers, LT's, CB1's) and teams need 2 pass rushers, it's a position that requires height so there aren't as many athletes from which to choose like CB's, the guys with ability are easy to spot from a mile away, and everyone wants the same guys. If I'm a new head coach, those hard to get pieces are the ones I'm planning to find.

We have a LT (Laremy Tunsil), check.
We have a CB1 (Xavien Howard), and I'd be lobbying hard to get him signed long term, check.
We have a plan to get a top notch QB (tank for the 2020 draft), check.
We need 2 pass rushers for the future, and we have 0. I'd make pass rushers a priority for the 2019 draft.

Then there are other considerations, such as:
We have our safeties (Reshad Jones/TJ McDonald for SS, and Minkah Fitzpatrick for FS).
We have some young talent at WR and TE, and can add more as the value presents itself.
We have some young serviceable guys to fill LB and DT in a 43 already, and can find non-pass rushers for a 34 after we tank.
We need lots of OL, with only our LT being a long term solution.

Putting this together, to me it looks like we prioritize pass rushers early and get multiple OL on days 2 and 3. From a needs standpoint, it makes sense. From a tanking/planning standpoint it makes sense. From what the draft offers generally it makes sense. But all of this could change after the combine and with the run up to the draft, so who knows. We don't even have a coach yet, LOL.

I'm with ya on making the 3 man front work, it requires a NT type that isn't on the roster currently. I also see where a penetrating DT would make sense, but we already have those type of players with Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux, albeit not at elite levels. So we definitely could use those pieces. But unless they're truly the clear BPA, I wouldn't be surprised if we defer that until after the 1st round, or next offseason. Fortunately though, there are a lot of good defensive prospects all across the DL, so we'll be able to get at least one of the pieces we need.

Back
Top Bottom