If The Past Is An Indication Of How The Dolphins Will Draft. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If The Past Is An Indication Of How The Dolphins Will Draft.

I think you're right. I'm expecting a DE/OLB hybrid in round 1, and if there are any top echelon prospects available then again in round 2 is on the table as well. Yes, we probably also need 1 more DT, but it's edge rushers that will be prioritized, IMHO.

I like this OL class, and my favorite part is the wide array of legit prospects all through the draft. Evaluations will change as we go through the combine and get closer to the draft, but right now, there's a lot of quality guys in this draft. DL and OL will be our focus, hopefully, but I can see us adding a CB and possibly a LB or TE as well.

Brian Burns is another freak out of FSU that we should target.

This is where I might differ with most. I think DT, NT, ILB that can push the A gap are more a premium than the edge rushers today.

Not saying they are obsolete on the edge, just that Tom Brady has made a art form of punishing edge rushes.
We'll see, I think the NT position is a much lower priority than pass rusher, and if we don't get them in round 1 the odds are pretty low that we get good ones. Just too high of a premium for certain positions (QB, pass rushers, LT's, CB1's) and teams need 2 pass rushers, it's a position that requires height so there aren't as many athletes from which to choose like CB's, the guys with ability are easy to spot from a mile away, and everyone wants the same guys. If I'm a new head coach, those hard to get pieces are the ones I'm planning to find.

We have a LT (Laremy Tunsil), check.
We have a CB1 (Xavien Howard), and I'd be lobbying hard to get him signed long term, check.
We have a plan to get a top notch QB (tank for the 2020 draft), check.
We need 2 pass rushers for the future, and we have 0. I'd make pass rushers a priority for the 2019 draft.

Then there are other considerations, such as:
We have our safeties (Reshad Jones/TJ McDonald for SS, and Minkah Fitzpatrick for FS).
We have some young talent at WR and TE, and can add more as the value presents itself.
We have some young serviceable guys to fill LB and DT in a 43 already, and can find non-pass rushers for a 34 after we tank.
We need lots of OL, with only our LT being a long term solution.

Putting this together, to me it looks like we prioritize pass rushers early and get multiple OL on days 2 and 3. From a needs standpoint, it makes sense. From a tanking/planning standpoint it makes sense. From what the draft offers generally it makes sense. But all of this could change after the combine and with the run up to the draft, so who knows. We don't even have a coach yet, LOL.

I'm with ya on making the 3 man front work, it requires a NT type that isn't on the roster currently. I also see where a penetrating DT would make sense, but we already have those type of players with Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux, albeit not at elite levels. So we definitely could use those pieces. But unless they're truly the clear BPA, I wouldn't be surprised if we defer that until after the 1st round, or next offseason. Fortunately though, there are a lot of good defensive prospects all across the DL, so we'll be able to get at least one of the pieces we need.

Brian Burns is another freak out of FSU that we should target.
I wholeheartedly agree, and have stated as much. He is a guy who can play OLB in a 3 man front and put his hand in the dirt and play DE in a 4 man front, pass rush from both positions, and is pretty decent against the run, which is exactly what we are likely targeting. His only real drawback at this point is that he needs to put on muscle, and with our strategy to tank this year, that's perfect. It's impossible to know, but I think he can maintain his explosiveness while adding the weight. You're right, he's an athletic freak.

I definitely think defensive line as well, partly because it's the strength of the draft but also because it's such a huge weakness for Miami. Consider also that both Wake and Quinn figure to be purged in the offseason. That leaves no starters at defensive end and fringe starters at defensive tackle in Godchaux and Taylor.

A lot could depend on what the team does with James, though. If they let James go, I could Miami going for an offensive tackle at #13.

I'm hoping for D-line at 13 because that's value right there. This draft other than D-line is average to a bit below average on most positions except for D-line. A good DE should be there for us at 13 and that's where I'd go.

Burns be a situational rusher in 4 man fronts out the gate. Be a less long version of Arden key.

I think it’s probably gonna be clelin Ferrell who had a good tape vs Jonah Williams in the national champ game while tbe game was in the balance and whose short area quickness gave williams fits and flashed quality hand use even if his outside speed rush was rather easily washed by or Montez sweat who looks like he can line up in 2 3 and 4 point stances even and has supreme length on that 245 lb frame. Plays more stout than 245 would suggest also. Not hard to project 255 or 260 even long term.

Maybe Rashan Gary if they want to go versatility looks like he projects best as a de to me at that 280 plus size and who gets off the ball well but doesn’t look like he projects outside shoulder win vs nfl tackles which is why I’d pass. I have a hard time buying he’s going top 10. Poa play is stout.

I like burns especially that explosive get off but I don’t like that frame for adding weight and not scraping the atblete. Very lean frame. See a lot of Arden key like projection there

A lot of these edge guys have light frames for a 43 ask. In a 4 man front you are just asking to be run right at.

This is where I might differ with most. I think DT, NT, ILB that can push the A gap are more a premium than the edge rushers today.

Not saying they are obsolete on the edge, just that Tom Brady has made a art form of punishing edge rushes.
That is an interesting point. I give Bellichick a lot of credit there. After Denver punished them a few years ago in the playoffs, you could see a noticeable change in the Patriots offense. Brady started getting rid of the ball much faster and NE went to more of a power run game.

Best chance against NE is inside pressure. I'd love to see Oliver at #13 if he drops.

Burns be a situational rusher in 4 man fronts out the gate. Be a less long version of Arden key.

I think it’s probably gonna be clelin Ferrell who had a good tape vs Jonah Williams in the national champ game while tbe game was in the balance and whose short area quickness gave williams fits and flashed quality hand use even if his outside speed rush was rather easily washed by or Montez sweat who looks like he can line up in 2 3 and 4 point stances even and has supreme length on that 245 lb frame. Plays more stout than 245 would suggest also. Not hard to project 255 or 260 even long term.

Maybe Rashan Gary if they want to go versatility looks like he projects best as a de to me at that 280 plus size and who gets off the ball well but doesn’t look like he projects outside shoulder win vs nfl tackles which is why I’d pass. I have a hard time buying he’s going top 10. Poa play is stout.

I like burns especially that explosive get off but I don’t like that frame for adding weight and not scraping the atblete. Very lean frame. See a lot of Arden key like projection there

A lot of these edge guys have light frames for a 43 ask. In a 4 man front you are just asking to be run right at.

Which of the top prospects (show or) project outside shoulder win, and who might be there for us?

Which of the top prospects (show or) project outside shoulder win, and who might be there for us?

Probably should wait for more confirmed answers on the scheme. I would think we’d get them within the next week. Are we 43 are we hybrid are we 34 etc. that should help clarify frame type etc

This should be the Dolphins draft plan in 2019

Draft Plan A:
1st: DL
2nd: OL
3erd: DL
4th: OL
5th: DL
6th: OL
7th: DL

Draft Plan B:
1st: OL
2nd: DL
3erd: OL
4th: DL
5th: OL
6th: DL
7th: OL

I wholeheartedly agree, and have stated as much. He is a guy who can play OLB in a 3 man front and put his hand in the dirt and play DE in a 4 man front, pass rush from both positions, and is pretty decent against the run, which is exactly what we are likely targeting. His only real drawback at this point is that he needs to put on muscle, and with our strategy to tank this year, that's perfect. It's impossible to know, but I think he can maintain his explosiveness while adding the weight. You're right, he's an athletic freak.

I saw a lot of him over these last 3 seasons. He's going to be an excellent pass rusher in the NFL. If Flores has the same approach as Belichick though i don't think the fins are going to be interested. Belichick likes American Bulldogs coming off the edge, not Malinois.

Could Jaylon Ferguson be a target, or is that too high?

I think if one of the top quarterbacks drops Miami will go that route. I'm talking Haskins, Murray or Lock.

Otherwise, would seem like defensive line is pretty obvious. Oliver, Ferrell, Lawrence, Ferguson, Gary, Wilkins etc.

I don’t think Ferguson should be a consideration top 15. The senior bowl game showing was better than the practice week but it wasn’t that much better.

I do have a question about sweat though. How does a 5th year senior have a 6 foot 6 frame with 36 inch arms and only carry 245 on it?

Makes me wonder if he has a hard time adding weight or something. I imagine he’s likely overaged too. 245 is pretty light for 6 foot 6 and 36 inch arms

Oliver drops due to weight I think they’d sprint that card up even if his pass rush in terms of hand use lacks polish. Have to bet on it developing in the pros when a guys that twitchy and explosive and heavy handed

No ****, it's already been indicated that they're looking to 'build the trenches', and the draft class is stacked at the D-line.

Back
Top Bottom