If the price to move up to 3 for TUA is too steep, do we trade up to 4 for Herbert? | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the price to move up to 3 for TUA is too steep, do we trade up to 4 for Herbert?

God nothing would be worse then drafting Herbert at any spot. Give me Tua and trade up for him or stay put and get love. Herbert is the last QB I want out of the top 4.

Really? Looks like he did ok under the circumstances …. I wonder how he would have done at Alabama with one coach … the same offensive scheme … an O-line … and excellent targets to throw to

2016 season[edit]
Entering his true freshman season listed as QB2 on the depth chart,[7] Herbert became the first true freshman at Oregon to start at Quarterback since Chris Miller in 1983 when the Ducks took on arch-rival Washington on October 8, 2016.[8] Despite setting or equaling Oregon's single-game records for total offensive yards (512), passing yards (489), and touchdown passes (6),[9] the Ducks finished with their worst season in 25 years, going 4–8 and failing to make a bowl game for the first time in over a decade.[10]
Herbert became the starting quarterback after the fifth game of the season and showcased his talents throwing for 1,936 yards including 19 touchdowns with just four interceptions in eight starts and led a come-from-behind upset at #11 Utah with four touchdowns in the final 15:27 of the game to overcome a 14–3 deficit. On the final drive, he completed 6-of-9 passes for 63 yards with a 17-yard game-winning TD pass with two seconds left.[11]
2017 season[edit]
The Ducks entered the 2017 season with a new head coach Willie Taggart after Oregon fired Mark Helfrich following the 2016 season.[12] Leading the Ducks to a 4–1 start, Herbert's transition from the Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich era “Blur Offense” to Taggart's “Gulf Coast Offense” was successful before he fractured his collarbone against Cal on September 30, 2017.[13]
Without Herbert in the lineup, the Ducks dropped four of their next five games, and the offense went from averaging 49.2 points per game to just 15.0 points per game.[14] Herbert returned to help the Ducks win their last two regular season games to become bowl eligible.[15] The Ducks were selected to play Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl but their performance fell flat and the Ducks lost 38–28 after head coach Willie Taggart left the team to become the head coach at Florida State a week before their bowl game.[16][17]
In 8 starts, Herbert had a 6–2 record and threw for 1,983 yards on 139-of-206 passing attempts (67.5%), including 15 touchdowns against only five interceptions. He also rushed the ball 44 times for 183 yards and five touchdowns.[18] Herbert was named first-team CoSIDA Academic All-American with a 4.08 grade-point average in biology.[19]
2018 season[edit]
Herbert entered his third collegiate season as an early Heisman Trophy candidate despite being coached by a third different head coach as well as navigating his third different offensive scheme with new head coach Mario Cristobal transitioning from the spread offense to the pistol offense.[4][20] Herbert led the Ducks to a 9–4 record and a victory in the Redbox Bowl. He finished the year with 3,151 passing yards, 29 passing touchdowns, and two rushing touchdowns. His 31 total touchdowns were good for second in the Pac-12 Conference behind Washington State's Gardner Minshew.[21] He was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic first-team.[22]
2019 season[edit]
On December 26, 2018, Herbert announced that he would return to Oregon for his senior season.[23] He led his team to a 12-2 record and to a win in the Rose Bowl, in which he won the Offensive MVP award. In addition to his on-field success, Herbert was named the 30th recipient of The William V. Cambell Trophy. For winning this award, which is referred to as the "Academic Heisman," Herbert was honored during the 2020 College Football Playoff National Title Game.[24]
Statistics[edit]
PassingRushing
SeasonTeamW-LCOMPATTPCTYDSYDS/ATDINTRATQBRATTYDSYDS/ATD
2016Oregon2–616225563.51,9367.6194148.873.9581612.82
2017Oregon6–213920667.51,9839.6155167.580.1441834.25
2018Oregon9–424040459.43,1517.8298144.772.2711662.32
2019Oregon12-228642866.83,4718.1326158.774.158500.94
CareerOregon29–148131,27363.910,5418.29522153.775.02315602.413
[18]

Really? Looks like he did ok under the circumstances …. I wonder how he would have done at Alabama with one coach … the same offensive scheme … an O-line … and excellent targets to throw to

2016 season[edit]
Entering his true freshman season listed as QB2 on the depth chart,[7] Herbert became the first true freshman at Oregon to start at Quarterback since Chris Miller in 1983 when the Ducks took on arch-rival Washington on October 8, 2016.[8] Despite setting or equaling Oregon's single-game records for total offensive yards (512), passing yards (489), and touchdown passes (6),[9] the Ducks finished with their worst season in 25 years, going 4–8 and failing to make a bowl game for the first time in over a decade.[10]
Herbert became the starting quarterback after the fifth game of the season and showcased his talents throwing for 1,936 yards including 19 touchdowns with just four interceptions in eight starts and led a come-from-behind upset at #11 Utah with four touchdowns in the final 15:27 of the game to overcome a 14–3 deficit. On the final drive, he completed 6-of-9 passes for 63 yards with a 17-yard game-winning TD pass with two seconds left.[11]
2017 season[edit]
The Ducks entered the 2017 season with a new head coach Willie Taggart after Oregon fired Mark Helfrich following the 2016 season.[12] Leading the Ducks to a 4–1 start, Herbert's transition from the Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich era “Blur Offense” to Taggart's “Gulf Coast Offense” was successful before he fractured his collarbone against Cal on September 30, 2017.[13]
Without Herbert in the lineup, the Ducks dropped four of their next five games, and the offense went from averaging 49.2 points per game to just 15.0 points per game.[14] Herbert returned to help the Ducks win their last two regular season games to become bowl eligible.[15] The Ducks were selected to play Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl but their performance fell flat and the Ducks lost 38–28 after head coach Willie Taggart left the team to become the head coach at Florida State a week before their bowl game.[16][17]
In 8 starts, Herbert had a 6–2 record and threw for 1,983 yards on 139-of-206 passing attempts (67.5%), including 15 touchdowns against only five interceptions. He also rushed the ball 44 times for 183 yards and five touchdowns.[18] Herbert was named first-team CoSIDA Academic All-American with a 4.08 grade-point average in biology.[19]
2018 season[edit]
Herbert entered his third collegiate season as an early Heisman Trophy candidate despite being coached by a third different head coach as well as navigating his third different offensive scheme with new head coach Mario Cristobal transitioning from the spread offense to the pistol offense.[4][20] Herbert led the Ducks to a 9–4 record and a victory in the Redbox Bowl. He finished the year with 3,151 passing yards, 29 passing touchdowns, and two rushing touchdowns. His 31 total touchdowns were good for second in the Pac-12 Conference behind Washington State's Gardner Minshew.[21] He was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic first-team.[22]
2019 season[edit]
On December 26, 2018, Herbert announced that he would return to Oregon for his senior season.[23] He led his team to a 12-2 record and to a win in the Rose Bowl, in which he won the Offensive MVP award. In addition to his on-field success, Herbert was named the 30th recipient of The William V. Cambell Trophy. For winning this award, which is referred to as the "Academic Heisman," Herbert was honored during the 2020 College Football Playoff National Title Game.[24]
Statistics[edit]
PassingRushing
SeasonTeamW-LCOMPATTPCTYDSYDS/ATDINTRATQBRATTYDSYDS/ATD
2016Oregon2–616225563.51,9367.6194148.873.9581612.82
2017Oregon6–213920667.51,9839.6155167.580.1441834.25
2018Oregon9–424040459.43,1517.8298144.772.2711662.32
2019Oregon12-228642866.83,4718.1326158.774.158500.94
CareerOregon29–148131,27363.910,5418.29522153.775.02315602.413
[18]
Did you happen to add how terrible he is handling college pressure?? And he hasn’t seen NFL pressure

Did you happen to add how terrible he is handling college pressure?? And he hasn’t seen NFL pressure

No … I simply supplied another poster with some stats … I'm not an advocate for Herbert … or Tua … just don't want to trade up for either of them … I believe the Dolphins know who they want ... and I believe the HC will make the most of the pick ...

I could be wrong … but my opinion is what it is … as is yours … disagree? ok … no big deal … I don't argue … I don't need to be right … but I have an opinion and this is a message board for Dolphin fans … which I am

Herbert would’ve done fine at Alabama. Just like Jalen Hurts, Blake Sims, Jacob Coker, A.J. McCarron, Greg McElroy, and Joh Parker Wilson did.

That’s not really the point though.

The point is - if he was at Alabama while Tua was there, he would’ve been sitting on the bench and entering the transfer portal.

Same applies if they were both at Oregon.

No Chance I even consider tagovailoa...A broken right ankle a broken left ankle and now a broken hip? Are you Tua lovers crazy?!?!?! hes damaged goods my god Miami please stay away from this disaster...Keep Fitz for one more year...make a play for Lawrence the year after...I dont love any of these guys in this draft...

No Chance I even consider tagovailoa...A broken right ankle a broken left ankle and now a broken hip? Are you Tua lovers crazy?!?!?! hes damaged goods my god Miami please stay away from this disaster...Keep Fitz for one more year...make a play for Lawrence the year after...I dont love any of these guys in this draft...

Do you even know what a broken ankle is?

Is pressure the new thing now for the "I love you Tuas"?

News flash: pressure can beat all QBs. Ask the Giants about shaking Brady.

Garapolo was having a good game until KC had the cojones to start blitzing while Niners became cowards and dropped back. The Mahomes bomb that won them the game, Mahomes was back there for about 10 seconds before the big completion. When the Niners were pressuring Mahomes, they made him look pedestrian.

But no way. Not Tua. No sir. Nothing can beat Tua.

News flash: pressure can beat all QBs.

Is pressure the new thing now for the "I love you Tuas"?

News flash: pressure can beat all QBs. Ask the Giants about shaking Brady.

Garapolo was having a good game until KC had the cojones to start blitzing while Niners became cowards and dropped back. The Mahomes bomb that won them the game, Mahomes was back there for about 10 seconds before the big completion. When the Niners were pressuring Mahomes, they made him look pedestrian.

But no way. Not Tua. No sir. Nothing can beat Tua.

News flash: pressure can beat all QBs.
This is true

I wonder what else he thinks Tua has broken? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The hearts of many like myself that wouldn't have blinked twice about giving up the other 2 firsts we have to move up.

Do you even know what a broken ankle is?
I think his point is that Tua has constantly been injured playing on one of the best teams in college football and behind one of the best offensive lines in college football.

Tua has had a knee injury, operations on both of his ankles and major surgery on his hip, all in less than 2 years. If the Dolphins were even considering drafting any other player at 5 with this list of injures, Dolphin fans would be calling for Grier and Flores to be fired.

Because it is Tua these same fans think that this injury prone QB will suddenly come into the league and all his injuries will end. No other highly drafted QB has ever come into the league with the injury history of Tua and the fact all these injuries occurred in less than 2 years is even more of a concern for me.

I personally went into the 2019 season hoping the Dolphins would be able to draft a Tua because I thought he was great college QB and a player the Dolphins would be able to build a winning team around him. I still think he was a great college QB when he was healthy but I no longer think he will hold up physically at the NFL level and I would prefer the Dolphins not trade up for him or even take him at 5 if he is still on the board. It will not surprise me at all if Tua is out of the league within 3 years because of hits he takes to his surgically repaired hip.

I think his point is that Tua has constantly been injured playing on one of the best teams in college football and behind one of the best offensive lines in college football.

Tua has had a knee injury, operations on both of his ankles and major surgery on his hip, all in less than 2 years. If the Dolphins were even considering drafting any other player at 5 with this list of injures, Dolphin fans would be calling for Grier and Flores to be fired.

Because it is Tua these same fans think that this injury prone QB will suddenly come into the league and all his injuries will end. No other highly drafted QB has ever come into the league with the injury history of Tua and the fact all these injuries occurred in less than 2 years is even more of a concern for me.

I personally went into the 2019 season hoping the Dolphins would be able to draft a Tua because I thought he was great college QB and a player the Dolphins would be able to build a winning team around him. I still think he was a great college QB when he was healthy but I no longer think he will hold up physically at the NFL level and I would prefer the Dolphins not trade up for him or even take him at 5 if he is still on the board. It will not surprise me at all if Tua is out of the league within 3 years because of hits he takes to his surgically repaired hip.
The ankle surgeries were elective. They were literally sprains. He missed like one or two games total between both of them. Why do people keep bringing them up as if he actually broke his ankle or tore something?

Hes going to the combine. If medical doesnt check out at the combine....... obviously everything changes.

Back
Top Bottom