If the price to move up to 3 for TUA is too steep, do we trade up to 4 for Herbert? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the price to move up to 3 for TUA is too steep, do we trade up to 4 for Herbert?

To all you Tua fanboys out there. Here this now, if we take him with anything higher then the 3rd rd we will be right back where we started from. He was never going to translate well to the NFL to begin with even before the injury. He was injury prone before and now the chances are off the charts. Herbert is going to be the best NFL QB in this draft, and also think given some time Anthony Gordon will be in top 3 if this draft class. I think if we don't take Herbert (which will be a big mistake) we take Gordon in later rounds and go after Trevor next year.
giphy.gif

To all you Tua fanboys out there. Here this now, if we take him with anything higher then the 3rd rd we will be right back where we started from. He was never going to translate well to the NFL to begin with even before the injury. He was injury prone before and now the chances are off the charts. Herbert is going to be the best NFL QB in this draft, and also think given some time Anthony Gordon will be in top 3 if this draft class. I think if we don't take Herbert (which will be a big mistake) we take Gordon in later rounds and go after Trevor next year.
I'm assuming you meant 3rd overall right? Please tell me i'm right

The only one you trade up for is Burrow. Rest are hit or miss QB,s.

If we don't take Tua at 5, what would folks think about a trade down with the Raiders. They take our #5 pick so Chucky Gruden can take Herbert. We take their #13, Derek Carr (value of the player), and a 2nd-round pick in 2021 (value of the cap space we help them clear). If Carr plays well in 2020, he's ours for two more seasons at a below-market price. If he is below average, we can get out of his contract for nothing and have another asset to include in a package for a 2021 quarterback.

I've seen enough of Carr to tell you hes not the answer. Jordan Love is the safety net if we dont get Burrow or Tua. If we miss on all 3 we don't take a QB this year.

This is why I'm thinking Herbert. He's got a big body and doesn't need surgery every 8 games he plays..

No? In fairness, Herbert has his own injury flags going back to high school. He's been healthy the last two years but prior to that, there were issues. It's football, it happens. I believe prior to the hip injury, Tua missed ONE game due to injury. The surgeries (sprained ankles) were elective to help him to continue to play. The injury could have happened to anyone when someone that large lands awkwardly on you.

If someone moves up to get Tua, celebrate because we are getting Andrew Thomas or Jeff Okuduh.

I'm not celebrating Andrew Thomas or any other player at that spot that never gets their hand on a football. The season is a total waste if they don't come away with their franchise QB. They can take a tackle at 18. I'm not sure Thomas is even the first tackle off the board.

No? In fairness, Herbert has his own injury flags going back to high school. He's been healthy the last two years but prior to that, there were issues. It's football, it happens. I believe prior to the hip injury, Tua missed ONE game due to injury. The surgeries (sprained ankles) were elective to help him to continue to play. The injury could have happened to anyone when someone that large lands awkwardly on you.
You are correct that injuries happen, and that they can happen to anyone.

The fact is, however, irrespective of the reasons, some players are more injury prone than others.

The fact that Tua's ankle surgeries were "elective", doesn't make me feel any better whatsoever.

An NFL playoff run is almost twice as many games as a collegiate season. The guys are bigger, faster, and he will take a lot more hits.

He may turn out to be a good QB, but I doubt you ever get a full, healthy season out of the guy.

You are correct that injuries happen, and that they can happen to anyone.

The fact is, however, irrespective of the reasons, some players are more injury prone than others.

The fact that Tua's ankle surgeries were "elective", doesn't make me feel any better whatsoever.

An NFL playoff run is almost twice as many games as a collegiate season. The guys are bigger, faster, and he will take a lot more hits.

He may turn out to be a good QB, but I doubt you ever get a full, healthy season out of the guy.
Completely understandable point of view And that exact sentiment is probably what keeps several NFL executives up at night

There is no player in this draft that is a MUST have....there are 3-4 QB's that are interesting. However I do not see one that I would to have on the team.

I find myself watching the kid from Auburn, his motor just never switches off and wow, the physical traits, however, I'm old school Bill Parcell planet theory type of guy. He will be there at #5 I suspect.

I don;t want Herbert full stop.

Get the guy, not a guy. If our failure to successfully complete a tank means we don't get a special QB this year, make sure you do what it takes to get one next year. Don't settle.

I would literally switch teams.
Just so you can see via stats how much better Tua is than Herbert. Just look at this;
In college Herbert threw 95 touchdowns on 1293 attempts, while Tua threw 87 touchdowns on just 684 attempts. While the talent around them is a big factor in this, this stat proves on paper what everyones knock on Herbert is, he just didnt progress in his four years. He was the same guy the whole time. No signature wins, and never really took the next step. I saw this dude in his senior year on 4th down with time running out and needing a touchdown actually throw the ball out of the back of the endzone, in his senior year! I just dont like the prospect at all.

Assuming some other team wants to trade up to 3 or Detroit says they are taking Tua, what if the another team like the Chargers tries to jump Miami for Herbert? If Miami doesn't come out of this draft with a QB of the future it's going to get ugly. The top three are Burrow, Tua and Herbert.. Dolphins have to come out with one of them so would you move up one spot and trade with the Giants to insure we get one?
NOPE. End of Thread.

I'm not celebrating Andrew Thomas or any other player at that spot that never gets their hand on a football. The season is a total waste if they don't come away with their franchise QB. They can take a tackle at 18. I'm not sure Thomas is even the first tackle off the board.

It's amazing to me how this isn't the stance of every last Dolphins fan. Like have we not learned from the past 2 decades? With no hope at QB we are at ground zero. We are nothing.

Back
Top Bottom