If Trent Williams is released? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Trent Williams is released?

i get what you're saying about the progress blocker, but at the same time, when building the OL, would it not be beneficial to the G to have someone that could do his job lining up beside him. our G's are gonna be young and inexperienced. Having williams beside him would probably help, plus it'd give the G's another OL's brain to pick. I wouldnt want him on a 5 year deal, and we would be drafting his 2022 replacement in the 2021 draft. You are only a progress blocker if someone potentially worth a **** is behind you.

Well... I get what you are saying, but I thought it was a given that we were drafting a couple of young Tackles in the draft.

Now, signing a 32 year old player would make sense to those who don't want to draft linemen I suppose.

My problem with a 2-3 year deal is his contract expires when Miami should have a legitimate chance to go deep in the playoffs. I can see getting 2-3 year rentals, but not elite rentals.

I guess i really hope that Trent would come in and be the type of player that was the "pick my brain guy". i think you can pay a little extra for rentals if they are going to make the rest of the team better. Its kind of like i really wanted to see Rosen last year, bad, wanted to know what we had in him, if he was tradeable, if i was stupid for hoping he would've fallen to us in 2019, but had Rosen started then maybe we dont find out that DVP can be a potential Pro Bowler, or that Preston Williams can be a stud on the other side, that mike g can actually open up some holes in the passing lane and make nice catches. Dont we want to give our rookie QB and prob RB as much chance as possible to succeed in their first couple years while they get acclimiated to the league

Well... I get what you are saying, but I thought it was a given that we were drafting a couple of young Tackles in the draft.

Now, signing a 32 year old player would make sense to those who don't want to draft linemen I suppose.

Honestly even if we draft two OT's in the draft, i would only see the guy we pick high starting this year. I would push for a one year contract, start the guy we draft highest on the opposite, let the day 2 developmental T sit a year behind Trent. I was thinking more, draft a high OT this year, then another stud next year.

I guess i really hope that Trent would come in and be the type of player that was the "pick my brain guy". i think you can pay a little extra for rentals if they are going to make the rest of the team better. Its kind of like i really wanted to see Rosen last year, bad, wanted to know what we had in him, if he was tradeable, if i was stupid for hoping he would've fallen to us in 2019, but had Rosen started then maybe we dont find out that DVP can be a potential Pro Bowler, or that Preston Williams can be a stud on the other side, that mike g can actually open up some holes in the passing lane and make nice catches. Dont we want to give our rookie QB and prob RB as much chance as possible to succeed in their first couple years while they get acclimiated to the league

Honestly even if we draft two OT's in the draft, i would only see the guy we pick high starting this year. I would push for a one year contract, start the guy we draft highest on the opposite, let the day 2 developmental T sit a year behind Trent. I was thinking more, draft a high OT this year, then another stud next year.

See, this is sort of what I was alluding to. Those who want to sign this guy are also trying to talk themselves out of drafting two quality linemen. You are doing this right now... (Not that it isn't a possible strategy, I don't want to be seen as being disrespectful here)

I think you are wrong to consider this... let me explain why. Obviously we are going to draft a Tackle in the first round and start him immediately, but lets look at the second guy for a moment.

We could get a Niang, or Wilson, or Prince Tega in the late second or third round... and these guys could also start right away. That's the beauty of THIS historically deep Tackle draft. And then they'd be paid peanuts for the next 4 years. Starting these guys would accelerate their development and by the time our new QB was ready to start, they'd be a tight unit and Trent would be used up. We have 6 picks in the first 70ish picks. Our line has been bad for years... draft some talent!

But I get it... some people really hate to draft linemen. I've heard corn-fed... and unathletic players... and not-ferraris... I get it, some people want to draft FFL players... I just don't agree.

A good chance, yes. "As much chance as possible?" Ideally, yes. I say this every once in a while. I'm far more interested in what Miami is LIKELY to do, not what people WANT them to do.Not that I don't get good info from opinions, but comments like 'do whatever it takes' is not the philosophy of any team. In this case, I doubt Grier/Flo will be interested in Williams at anywhere near his projected cost

Williams ain't playing another down for Washington that much is certain.

With that said if he wants to play in Miami by all means, come on down.

Williams ain't playing another down for Washington that much is certain.

With that said if he wants to play in Miami by all means, come on down. However I wouldn't commit long term.

He wants Washington to pay him 20 million because he feels mishandled his cancerous tumor.

I would definitely want to at least make an effort to sign him. He’s an elite player at a major position of need, even if we draft a young OT early he may not be ready to play right away. Let him develop/learn from Trent. I would give him the Anthony Castonzo deal 2 years 33 million. That’s currently the highest per year contract for a LT

Wow, didn't realize he was having trouble being traded. I absolutely would pick up this guy for 2 years. His body should be in great shape since he sat out all of last year. I think the Dolphins would have to be lucky as hell to draft a LT that can be as good as Williams in the next 2 years, and a miracle to find 2 tackles that could be as good as him. I am sorry but I am a believer in having a veteran on a young offensive line.

Agree with Danny... he doesn't fit what we are doing now. ...and we are NOT in a win now mode just yet.

Not sure our FA activities support that theory. Expectations are probably tempered but their actions points to serious intent on W's.

We need to replace both Tackles that were jettisoned last season, Tunsil, who was elite and James who was pretty good mostly. James got crazy money and we hit the draft cash register in exchange for Tunsil. This is a very deep draft for tackles and we should draft at least 2 and perhaps another G/C player. I agree with having a vet on a young line is a good thing. We need stability on the o-line. I'd try and sign Williams to replace Tunsil. He's not that old and broken down like some are saying. He'd be a leader on the o-line. A man with 7 straight Pro Bowls, we could use him big time.

Why do some of you say we are not in a win now mode? I don't agree with that thinking. The 49ers won 4 games in 2018, and one year later made the super bowl. I am not saying we can make the super bowl, but there is no reason with the right FA additions and 2 good drafts we can't make the playoffs the next 2 years and even compete for the SB next year.

Why do some of you say we are not in a win now mode? I don't agree with that thinking. The 49ers won 4 games in 2018, and one year later made the super bowl. I am not saying we can make the super bowl, but there is no reason with the right FA additions and 2 good drafts we can't make the playoffs the next 2 years and even compete for the SB next year.

In general, a team in 'win now' mode has an aging team and/or a number of top players who are nearing retirement or end of contracts.

I've gone back and forth on this in my head, and here's what I keep coming back to:

I believe that Trent Williams can play at a very high level for another two years. Maybe. So if you're going to sign him...sign a 3 year contract with an out after the second year.

Then there are two questions:

1) Will the Miami Dolphins be at a place where that very high level of play from a LT is the final step to a championship in two years? Probably not. The Ravens and Chiefs are likely the kings of the conference for the next few years.

2) Will that high level of play keep a QB healthier and help his development, to the point where a QB in his 3rd or 4th year can be a championship winning QB? This is a little murkier.

Regardless, we're talking about one of the most important positions in football. If you don't sign Williams, you'd better at least have another freaking plan.

Back
Top Bottom