IF Tyler Linderbaum falls to the 2nd round... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IF Tyler Linderbaum falls to the 2nd round...

If Tyler Linderbaum fall to the 2nd Round...

• Total voters
If I could get Linderbaun for a 2nd and 3rd next year I absolutely do it.

We'd still have 2 1sts and a 3rd.

If Linderbaum falls to the 2nd, get on the phone and make calls.

Yes, even our 1st next year.

Listen, if I'm willing to use a 1st this year to draft Linderbaum, I sure as heck am willing to trade a 1st next year.

102 and a 1st next year for Linderbaum
Or
102 on Lindstrom

I'm taking Linderbaum all day everyday

However, it appears this staff may be high on Dieter... I trust these new guys, so if Dieter can be legit.... no need for Linderbaum. But if he isn't in the long term plans, go get Linderbaum
Dieter is not legit, he’s a solid backup. We need a center. There’s no way this staff goes w dieter at center.

The more I hear about Tretter's knees the more concerned I become. Browns fans LOVED the guy but he's got some really bad knees.
Bad knees and still played above average all season and didn’t miss a game. That’s one tough SOB. Sign me up , I want that dude on my team.

There are legitimate reasons why Linderbaum is sliding. His size and short arms have historically not been a recipe for success in the NFL.

If we turn over enough rocks we can find a C at 102 or later but none are a perfect prospect either.

Lindstrom- seemingly perfect fit but unlikely to get to 102.

Strange- only played C twice before the Senior Bowl and will be 24 years old in July.

Jurgens- very good athlete but raw. Moving up boards as a slightly bigger Linderbaum.

Tom- ridiculously athletic T who may not have the size to play there or even G. Played some C at the Senior Bowl.

Fortner- just doesn’t seem to have the athletic profile.

West- another player who isn’t a true C but is projected there.

Deaton- intriguing player but is tall and skinny and will take years to develop.

Outside of Lindstrom I don’t see any of the others coming in and being a day one starter. They just don’t have the experience making line calls and McDaniel has mentioned that as critical to the position.

Coming back to the OP’s question regarding Linderbaum. Yes, he appears to be a perfect fit but with the size concerns and Lindstrom’s familiarity with our new oline coach I suspect he may be the one target in a trade up scenario.

At this point i would almost believe that teams have told Tretter that his number in on speed dial til after the draft.

I'm fine with signing Tretter, Dieter will be good depth for us if we dont trade him.

I dont think we are going to need all our draft capital in 2023 to do the unthinkable/unmentionable, so i guess i could be okay with trying to move up with one of our 2023 picks.

depending on the player I'm okay with A also.. the last two picks will just pretty much be preferred undrafted FA's anyways

The large majority of those considered to experts in player evaluations. If that weren't true, the numbers wouldn't suggest it to begin with.

Now, you can disagree and believe you may know better, but I'm not giving up future high picks to draft a center, and that is what it will take if you want to be sure of getting him. If he were for some reason to fall to the middle of rd2, I could get on board with looking at the possibility.

I’m speaking how people keep discussing the NUMBER of draft picks and not VALUE of draft picks. Number (“whoa Miami gave up FIVE picks”)
Versus Value. It’s an incredibly elementary way of thinking that I’ve seen in several articles and threads. It was an aside from the actual breakdown of whether you want him on your team

I’m not really sure how your second paragraph applies to my post.

If he’s available in the 2nd you go get him. Huge position of need and a level of potential that Deiter can’t compare to. I don’t get rid of my future 1sts in 2023 - my Tua insurance - but I absolutely engage and see what I can piece together.

Last edited:
I’m speaking how people keep discussing the NUMBER of draft picks and not VALUE of draft picks. Number (“whoa Miami gave up FIVE picks”)
Versus Value. It’s an incredibly elementary way of thinking that I’ve seen in several articles and threads. It was an aside from the actual breakdown of whether you want him on your team

If he’s available in the 2nd you go get him. Huge position of need and a level of potential that Deiter can’t compare to. I don’t get rid of my future 1sts in 2023 - my Tua insurance - but I absolutely engage and see what I can piece together.
I really haven't noticed a lot of complaining about picks we have given up. Maybe it's out there and I just draw different conclusions from what I have seen. Entirely possible.

As far as wanting, or not wanting any specific player, there are few players I absolutely don't want on the team. It just comes down to cost verses benefit, as any situation involving a limited budget does in life.

I probably don't see Deiter as "bad" as some. I also don't see Linderbaum as the can't miss prospect some do.

I don’t want to give up draft capital anymore.
I think we have to keep it as a back up plan for a Tua not panning out. I am not being anti Tua, I hope for the best. But if there is a Joe Burrows out there, and Tua is not the guy, I want the flexibility. If Tua is even solid we can use picks elsewhere.

Good points.

The Hill trade for example. 5 picks. But when valued it came to like the equivalent of trading the #15 overall.

So forget total number of picks. Right now, would you trade the #15 pick for Hill? Heck yeah I would lol
I also believe I got a steal haha.

This is why the Jets didn't offer one of their 1st rounder.

But agreed. Get on the phone and see what we can work out.

I don’t want to give up draft capital anymore.
I think we have to keep it as a back up plan for a Tua not panning out. I am not being anti Tua, I hope for the best. But if there is a Joe Burrows out there, and Tua is not the guy, I want the flexibility. If Tua is even solid we can use picks elsewhere.

I understand that line of thinking.

However, I all depends on what we would use our capital for.

Let's hypothetically say Dallas is over Parsons and says he's available for a 1st and late round pick. Obviously I'm making the deal.

If the player would outweigh the potential of needing a Tua replacement, then I consider it.

Aaron Jones, Alvin Kamara- nope not entertaining
Ramczyk- would entertain.

I personally would rather trade for a young player entering the last year of his rookie contract then take a chance on drafting a player.

That's just me.

But looking at our team, outside maybe RT, I don't see too many positions that would warrant trading a high pick for, unless an ILB becomes available.

Imo we look great across the board, starter wise. Depth is another story.

But I wouldn't let the potential need for a Tua replacement outweigh the opportunity to get a good or great player

That was my point. Don’t move up for a center. Take what’s available at 102.

In all honesty, I have a tough time believing he makes it out of the 1st round
There is three position where there is a chance for a rookie to play, right tackle, mid backer, and center.

If I’m the GM I’m thinking we’re trying to win a ring this year, no one I can get at 102 is gonna be a starter on my roster, but if I can get in the 2nd and someone drops, I have a chance to get a starter from this draft..

I’d give up what I have this draft to move up as close as I can get.

I’

Forget Linderbaum. There is no reason to be trading a half dozen assets for a center. The guy would be a nice fit if he fell to us, or if we could trade a third or fourth rounder to move up for him. You don’t move mountains for a center.
You move up imo for any position you think that the player ur targeting has all pro potential.

Center is no different

At this point i would almost believe that teams have told Tretter that his number in on speed dial til after the draft.

I'm fine with signing Tretter, Dieter will be good depth for us if we dont trade him.

I dont think we are going to need all our draft capital in 2023 to do the unthinkable/unmentionable, so i guess i could be okay with trying to move up with one of our 2023 picks.

depending on the player I'm okay with A also.. the last two picks will just pretty much be preferred undrafted FA's anyways
“Unthinkable/unmentionable”
That’s a lot easier to read than the alternative. Nicely played

There is three position where there is a chance for a rookie to play, right tackle, mid backer, and center.

If I’m the GM I’m thinking we’re trying to win a ring this year, no one I can get at 102 is gonna be a starter on my roster, but if I can get in the 2nd and someone drops, I have a chance to get a starter from this draft..

I’d give up what I have this draft to move up as close as I can get.

I’
A couple counterpoints here.

Unless you can get to around a top 20 pick (and even then it's questionable), the chances of a RT or ILB being ready to make a major contribution are pretty long. It happens, but not so often it can be counted on or assumed. One has to realize that when a player drops, there's usually a good reason for it. Center is a bit of a different situation, as it isn't seen as a high value position by most NFL evaluators. Consequently, good players at that position are more available into the second round.

I'm sure every GM that isn't in rebuild mode believes they have made moves to put their team in a position to compete, but the fact is we have a 1st year, 1st time HC and question marks at QB and Oline. If I'm the GM, while I have high hopes, I'm not seeing this team as realistically being "a player away" from a championship run.

You move up imo for any position you think that the player ur targeting has all pro potential.

Center is no different
Center is a bit different from other positions in that there isn't as much impact from having an All Pro verses an above average, solid player as say an All Pro WR or Corner verses just a solid guy.

Besides that, regardless of position the key word here is "potential". Beyond Rd1, most players are a crap shoot as far as their career paths. For every Holland, there are 20 guys that need development just to be serviceable.

I'm not saying don't try, but it isn't wise to count on rookie potential to be a starting quality player after the top guys are off the board.

In any case, at the moment we don't appear to have any depth at center, so I have to assume we will address that either in the draft, or the second wave of FA.

Back
Top Bottom