If we do/could draft Leinhart.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we do/could draft Leinhart....

NLude33

Section 415, Row 17
Reaction score
How important does that make the RT position? Does the importance of having a franchise LT now turn to the right side? I think It probably does, but I am not sure. Maybe all our concerns about LT would be moot if we could draft Leinhart?

NLude33 said:
How important does that make the RT position? Does the importance of having a franchise LT now turn to the right side? I think It probably does, but I am not sure. Maybe all our concerns about LT would be moot if we could draft Leinhart?

I think the question that this poses is: in a scenario in which we project Vernon Carey to be our RT of the future, would he switch to LT if we had a LH QB? Is the translation of one position to the other that simple, or would there be more involved?

Because if that were true, then we'd still need a RT - but with LT speed and footwork; so, in essence, we'd still need a LT.

I think that it does change things quite a bit.

The reason the LT position is so important is obviously because it is a right handed QB's blind side. If you look at the talent in the league at DE, most of the pass rushing talent is concentrated on the right side (lined up against the LT). Examples of this are Taylor, Schobel, Freeney, Hugh Douglas, etc... Given the amount of pass-rush talent at the RDE spot, you need a superior pass protector watching the QB's blind side.

With a lefty, this is somewhat diminished. IMO, you don't need quite the level of pass-protection from your LT because he isn't comming from the blind side. Also given the stated drop in pass rushing talent at the LDE position, you don't need a LT calibur pass blocker at RT.

That's my take on it anyway. :D

phinphanphrommi said:
I think that it does change things quite a bit.

The reason the LT position is so important is obviously because it is a right handed QB's blind side. If you look at the talent in the league at DE, most of the pass rushing talent is concentrated on the right side (lined up against the LT). Examples of this are Taylor, Schobel, Freeney, Hugh Douglas, etc... Given the amount of pass-rush talent at the RDE spot, you need a superior pass protector watching the QB's blind side.

With a lefty, this is somewhat diminished. IMO, you don't need quite the level of pass-protection from your LT because he isn't comming from the blind side. Also given the stated drop in pass rushing talent at the LDE position, you don't need a LT calibur pass blocker at RT.

That's my take on it anyway. :D
But don't teams put there best DE on the blind side? If we where playing a left handed QB, wouldn't Jason Taylor be more effective from the blind side? Again, making RT more important for LHQB.

Actually, it doesn't make much of a difference. The right tackle is typically the strongside tackle, so he has help from the tight end on most downs. Also, the best pass rushers on teams typically line up at the defensive right end position, which is matched up with the left tackle.

Switching up the blindside of the quarterback doesn't make much of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom