If We End Up with Mid-Late 1st Rd Pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If We End Up with Mid-Late 1st Rd Pick?

LostInPatsLand

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What players interest you in the mid-late first round should we happen to trade for an extra pick?

A couple of mine:

Mark Clayton, WR (see earlier thread)
Thomas Davis, S

Shawne Merriman is slipping, from rumors I've heard over the internet. Maybe he could be had mid-late first round. But maybe too much potential and not enought production...

In the middle of round one you have to look at a player like Davis, had we not signed Carter and Holliday I would say Spears is a great pick. I like Merriman and think he could be a good player in the system we are going to run, it would give Coach Saban more flexibility and cause just a few more headaches for OCs! I think a RB in the niddle of the round is not likely unless one of the big three fall.

If we do get a pick, maybe picking up a lineman like Barron might be a possibility. Possibly picking up a young DT like Johnson from FSU might also be a possibility but from what I've seen he is slipping. May also pick up a WR like Roddy White from UAB. Thats the beauty of the draft. No one ever knows.

I'm a big Davis fan; I'm just not sure if he has the wheels to be an NFL safety. It's been a long time since we have had a big time hitter in our secondary, and Davis is CERTAINLY a big time hitter. I like Clayton also, especially when you consider his return abilities.

This team has a whole at every position. WR, RB, QB, OL, DL, LB, DB. I am not saying we are weak in every area, but we have holes in each position. Heck, our Kicking game could be improved too, I do like Turk, but Mare is over payed. Now, I think, unlike last year, we sit back, if we had the oppurunity, and take the BPA. There is always someone that falls for whatever reason. Look at Roelisberger, Steven Jackson, etc. You get guys like Chad Johnson that fall, look at Pat Surtain, Sam Madison, Will Poole, Randy Mc, Chris Chambers. I am not saying they are all first rounders, I am saying they could have easily deserved being drafted higher then they were. If we sit back, and get a steal at our pick, then we will benefit instead of drafting for need.

If we get a mid first-round pick, I'd like to see us trade down to the end of the first-round (The Eagles are reportedly willing to give up some of their many picks in order to move up to the middle of the first-round). Any one of these guys would be a solid pick near the end of the first-round: Brodney Pool, Travis Johnson, Shaun Cody, Luis Castillo, and Dan Cody.

As far as I'm concerned, we need to obtain as many picks as possible. We have a lot of holes, and I think Saban will find some gems in the later rounds if he's able to trade down two or three different times.

LostInPatsLand said:
What players interest you in the mid-late first round should we happen to trade for an extra pick?

A couple of mine:

Mark Clayton, WR (see earlier thread)
Thomas Davis, S

Shawne Merriman is slipping, from rumors I've heard over the internet. Maybe he could be had mid-late first round. But maybe too much potential and not enought production...
Merriman, Spears and Thomas Davis

Blitz said:
If we get a mid first-round pick, I'd like to see us trade down to the end of the first-round (The Eagles are reportedly willing to give up some of their many picks in order to move up to the middle of the first-round). Any one of these guys would be a solid pick near the end of the first-round: Brodney Pool, Travis Johnson, Shaun Cody, Luis Castillo, and Dan Cody.

As far as I'm concerned, we need to obtain as many picks as possible. We have a lot of holes, and I think Saban will find some gems in the later rounds if he's able to trade down two or three different times.
I think Castillo is gonna fall a little with him admitting to using the juice

I agree with all the names thrown out here - Clayton, Travis Johnson, Thomas Davis, Alex Barron (Although I project him at a top 10).

Other names I would throw out as a possibility could be Troy Williamson if the Vikes don't jump on him, Brodney Pool, Shaun Cody .. there's a lot of DE's projected around here and personally, I'd love Erasmus James although we're sorted at this position. On my board, Erasmus James is a top 10, and I think he'll be the best DE in the class five years down the road.

Back
Top Bottom