If we get Brunell...doesn't RT become our most important OL position? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we get Brunell...doesn't RT become our most important OL position?

NYPhinFan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
The thought of paying Todd Wade all that money scares me..also he is a good bull rush type blocker but we never moved him to LT because he has problems with speed guys...Do we then move Wade Smith over to RT or do we get one in Free Agency?...wondering what everyone thinks?

No you just go and sign Clifton from GB. He can play either T spot.

You also have to remember it's not quite as hard to be a RT for a lefty then it is to be a LT for a righty.

The defense still lines up its best pass rusher against your LT and it's better run blocker against your RT so it's a bit more balanced.

No you do not move Wade Smith. You sign Clifton or John Tait, both of whom pass protect well. Clifton has the advantage in run blocking, Tait in pass blocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought is that we will be drafting a RT and letting Wade go. There is always good RT out in the draft and someone put up a big man like wade the other day from some SCC team i believe. sounded just like Wade as a matter of fact.

tait or clifton would be my preference, im not sure any of the tackles we will have a shot at will be nfl ready, vernon carey maybe, but evenso id rather not go into next season with another rookie protecting our QBs blind side

I think it would be better to just move Wade Smith over to RT. He'll have less trouble on that side and eventually he'd be ready to play LT.

Chad Clifton is going to command some money on the market I tell ya. The guy is a blue chip type player.

But as for best passrusher on the LT and run blocker on the RT thats not true. Guys like Michael Strahan, Jevon Kearse, and John Abraham regularly line up on the right tackle. In today's NFL you often see the passrushers switch sides regularly to get matchups.

After Chad Clifton's it's basically Solomon Page and Damion McIntosh CK. What's the point of that???

Second Smith cannot play RT. He is an athlethic tackle, not a monster sized guy. He is a pure LT and he will be a great LT this year.

Those players you listed are the best run defenders on their teams. Strahan is huge. Kearse and Abraham are placed there at some random times to shake things up. Ellis are Carter are the run DEs on the Jets and Titans.

dont think we should move wade smith, there is a decent difference switching sides and i think hes too young and doesnt have enough experience to be flip flopping this early in his career, we need to sign someone for RT

When Brunell was the starter (and during their playoff seasons) Boselli played LT and Leon Searcy played RT. You don't have to have an elite RT if the QB is a Lefty.

Kearse almost NEVER plays LE for the Titans. Carter does.

Yes, most teams line their best pass rusher on that side and only sometimes switch them.

Strahan is his teams best pass rusher and run defender so he plays LE all the time and allows the RE to focus more on pass rush.

Wade Smith would not be a good RT, he's an athletic guy who moves well and just needs some strength and time to be very good.

No. The center is always the most important offensive line position.

Wade Smith has better than average leg drive. Once again if you say moving him to RT is stupid you don't just argue with me, you argue with an AFC GM who said the same thing in a draft publication immediately after the draft. He complemented the Smith pick saying he'll be a fine player, but to start out he should play RT his first two or three years because he has the leg drive for it and it will be a lot easier for him to adjust to the speed of the game.

Then that AFC GM is arguing with Jeff Fisher who has said Wade Smith will be a very good LT.

LT is the most important position on the line. Why do you think they get paid so much?

if they had done it to start out then thats one thing, but to move him now, after a season at LT wouldnt be the smartest move

Back
Top Bottom