IF we traded Down. This would be a good RB to target | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IF we traded Down. This would be a good RB to target

godfater21 said:
Yeah i know but it's a different type. than Army, Navy, and Air force. that is why i'm pretty sure they don't have a military service right out of school.
apparently you are correct...

taken from the citadel's website:

The college offers a wide range of baccalaureate degree programs (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, and Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering) in the humanities, social and natural sciences, business administration, engineering, and education. These academic programs prepare graduates of the Corps of Cadets for a variety of careers; about half of these graduates enter business and the professions, a third or more enter the military and government service, and the remainder go directly into graduate and professional study. Many graduates choose to pursue professional or graduate degrees later in their careers.

i guess its a regular school with mandatory ROTC for everyone... makes for easier transition into being a commissioned officer in the military - but not required.

Phinsfan1980 said:
If you are going to talk about Monster backs you have to inclued Brandon Jacobs of S. Illinois. He is huge and is an auburn transfer

Big Fan of Jacobs here! He runs as well as Francis the Mute!

i am in grad school at the Citadel currently. there is NO military commitment for cadets who go to the Citadel. if they go through ROTC while there, they can then accept a commission into the armed forces after graduation. they are not obligated, though many do, including a buddy of mine who has done two tours already in the war on terror; one in Iraq, and one in Afganistan.

as for Broughton, he was solid as a FB for the Citadel in a wishbone offense against Southern Conference opponents (take that for what it is worth) and is agile for his size. he grew up in the Charleston, SC area (where the Citadel is located for those who don't know) and to my knowledge has no character issues thus far. he went to a rather rough high school in the area but seems to have not fallen into the wrong crowd or made poor decisions.

CharlestonPhan said:
i am in grad school at the Citadel currently. there is NO military commitment for cadets who go to the Citadel. if they go through ROTC while there, they can then accept a commission into the armed forces after graduation. they are not obligated, though many do, including a buddy of mine who has done two tours already in the war on terror; one in Iraq, and one in Afganistan.

as for Broughton, he was solid as a FB for the Citadel in a wishbone offense against Southern Conference opponents (take that for what it is worth) and is agile for his size. he grew up in the Charleston, SC area (where the Citadel is located for those who don't know) and to my knowledge has no character issues thus far. he went to a rather rough high school in the area but seems to have not fallen into the wrong crowd or made poor decisions.

well thank you for the insight. As I expected he sounds like asolid man and football player.

ih8brady said:
You're right. There might be a waiver(look at Roger Stauback).

Staubach served 4 years in the Navy before playing football!

Good things come to those who wait, and certainly the Dallas Cowboys' patience in the mid-60's was supremely rewarded, landing one of the best players in franchise history because they were willing to wait for Roger Staubach to fulfill his military commitment. For that five years of patience, the Cowboys landed the guy who became better know as "Roger The Dodger" over the next 11 years when he was selected to six Pro Bowls - including five consecutively - and was named the NFL Players Association Most Valuable Player in 1971. Staubach led the NFL in passing four times and was selected to the All-NFC team four times.

texasPHINSfan said:
don't players that go there incur a military commitment? or is there a waiver for pro sports or something?

The Citadel in not a military school, they do not require any type of military commitment.

"i guess its a regular school with mandatory ROTC for everyone... makes for easier transition into being a commissioned officer in the military - but not required."

it is not a regular school exactly... all undergraduates at the Citadel are in the corps of cadets. they live a military existence, go through ROTC as you stated, wear uniforms, drill, live in barracks, and have a fourth class system. freshman are rigorously drilled in a thoroughly military environment and treated pretty harshly by upperclassmen, and until senior year all cadets wear uniforms. seniors are allowed to wear navy blazers and ties (identical). cadets are restricted from leaving campus, have a curfew when they do, and are only allowed to stay off campus overnight once or twice per semester outside of holidays, fall and spring break etc.

they used to allow a limited number of non cadets in the day classes (mostly retired/ ex military going to school on the G.I. bill) but no longer. they have a thriving (non cadet) grad school with an MBA program ranked pretty highly by US News and World Report last year.

it takes a special kind of person/student to succeed or thrive there, and while athletes have it a little easier, they do not lead a pampered existence by any means. if you make it through and graduate, there is quite a network of Citadel grads locally and nationally, and they tend to look out for each other.

chillwill3000 said:
The Citadel in not a military school, they do not require any type of military commitment.

I guess I got that impression from the story of the first female who gained admittance and quit thingy back in 95 or 96.

The Citadel may be a military acedemy, but it is not a branch of the United States Armed Forces, so there is no type of active duty commitment to fulfill. I should know. I am active duty military.

hey guys, even if it is the reserves....we are in the middle of a war.

chillwill3000 said:
The Citadel may be a military acedemy, but it is not a branch of the United States Armed Forces, so there is no type of active duty commitment to fulfill. I should know. I am active duty military.

Noone said it was active duty. It was stated that they possess most of the same traits if not more. And you are not the only person on this particular thread whose active duty. You make 3.

Back
Top Bottom